Imagine a world where even the NFL realizes the JA led Bills are their "golden goose"

Some people (like me) will watch pretty much any football game, but it takes more to entice casual fans to watch teams that aren’t “theirs”.  One is talent - especially talent that is exciting.  Big passes, big catches, big runs, turnovers, sacks, etc. get viewers.  If the Bills played most games like the first half of the Texans game then people would want to watch the Bills.  We’d get big games against other quality teams on national TV. 

Hating a team - or at least rooting for a team’s failure - gets big ratings too.  The Patriots have been far more methodical than exciting as the years have gone by.  But most people watch to root against them.

So the recipe is simple - win enough and sooner or later the demand will be there.  That’s going to take some improvement on the offensive side of the ball and the Bills will be working on that. 

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills/Steelers game was actually a below season-average viewed Thursday night game............but the spin was that it was the highest rated TV broadcast that week.......which that time slot kinda' always is.?

Bills got a little ways to go before they are a national ratings driver by themselves.    

Good thing it was a sunday night game.

• Haha (+1) 1

The other day the company was giving out some swag and there were a lot of people in line to get their "gift". 

I was wearing my Bills gear (coat and hat, as usual) and a dozen or more people said they were pulling for the Bills and hoped that they had won the game.  

Even non full time Bills Nation people were saying the Ref's screwed them a couple times. 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The contracts have nothing to do with it. Contracts are set years in advance but schedules aren't.  Marquee games with stars like Brady attract far more eyeballs and advertising revenue than a young developing qb. Brady, JJ, Aaron Rodgers etc are all tv revenue kings. The fact that we were put on Thanksgiving and flexed for Pittsburgh is a big deal.  If Josh keep trending up the primetime games will follow. Unfortunately last Saturday,  JJ and Watson were the kings.

Yes, but none of that is controlled by the networks. And their ad revenue also is not changed based on an in-season flex schedule change.  Those ads are sold well in advance based on the ratings of previous prime time games and playoff games.  Obviously it's in the NFLs and all networks to have the best teams playing in prime time, but other than a few flex games, the schedule is set and everyone hopes that the teams that were hot the previous year (on which the schedule was made) are stiil attractive this year (sorry Browns).

JJ Watt i don't think is a big draw. How many Texans games are on prime time? 

The Saturday at 4:30 time slot are absolutely amazing.  I had 2 of the best times of my life watching the Texans and Pats game. I would love to have all games at that time slot.  With no college football, it is a prime time slot.  Also, as much as the ending sucked, it was just a super fun game to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, billsherd said:

I see, so bills have no chance of getting these timings.I find  4 o'clock games are perfect not too early and not too late 

They can be on at 4 especially when playing the Jets if the Giants are a 1pm game. Nothing says they can't be on at 4 anyway, look how many NE games are at 4. I personally like 1pm on Sunday games and wish all of them were then

Huh??? The Bills have [some of the] lowest ticket prices in the NFL.  Buffalo is not exactly a thriving metropolis.  They have a old, open air, stadium that usually doesn't fill up in December.  There is support for the Bills outside of Western NY, but I have no reason to believe it's more than average across the NFL.  What about the Bills makes you think "golden goose" to the other NFL owners?  

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

The other day the company was giving out some swag and there were a lot of people in line to get their "gift". 

I was wearing my Bills gear (coat and hat, as usual) and a dozen or more people said they were pulling for the Bills and hoped that they had won the game.  

Even non full time Bills Nation people were saying the Ref's screwed them a couple times. 

So great to hear!

What amazes me about the Texans game is there was not ONE SINGLE flag thrown on them between the whistles for the entire game. Seriously?

I’m not one to blame officials but that was a disgusting and slanted effort (but not why we lost). We’ve simply got to make more plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, egd said:

The network makes more money covering certain teams due to increased viewership. More money means the NFL can get more money from the networks when it is time to re-bid.

Denver is so-so for ratings. The big draws in the AFC are New England and Pittsburgh, with huge national followings. In the NFC, it is Dallas and Green Bay, followed by the rest of the NFC East.

It will be very hard for Buffalo to break through without sustained success, and even then...

On the NFC side you can add the Giants. Despite being a train wreck these past 7 years they are a big market NYC (despite playing in East Rutherford NJ) team. They are one of the NFL's "favorite" franchises with a long tradition and history. They also bring in high TV ratings as well. Despite their horrible season I bet they get a primetime game and maybe even 2 next season. Don't forget the Bears as well. Dallas, Green Bay, NYG, and Chicago are the NFC's traditional big draws

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

I have not seen anyone address this, it is logical speculation.  At some point even the NFL will realize that the success and progression of the JA led Bills is in their financial self interest.  At that point the office/s on high would let the Officials know to protect JA and promote the Bills.  Or maybe it works some other way?  Wouldn't it be strange to see the Zebra calls/flags be in favor of the Bills as they seem to have been for Brady and other NFL money-makers?  I don't see this happening overnight but would not be surprised to see it over a several year period.  Any thoughts?  If my tech skills were better I would add a Rod Serling link, instead all I have is this:  https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/1/7/21051577/buffalo-bills-once-again-draw-huge-tv-ratings

the sugarbaby division of the NFL is the NFC East

they keep making sacrifice every day to get a real dynasty back there

18 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Huh??? The Bills have [some of the] lowest ticket prices in the NFL.  Buffalo is not exactly a thriving metropolis.  They have a old, open air, stadium that usually doesn't fill up in December.  There is support for the Bills outside of Western NY, but I have no reason to believe it's more than average across the NFL.  What about the Bills makes you think "golden goose" to the other NFL owners?  

The relatively higher ratings as discussed in the article I linked is what make me think that the JA led Bills could become a "golden goose" to the NFL.  If the ratings continue to excel I am thinking out loud what it would be like if the officials protected Allen the way they have protected Brady and other NFL money makers.  I did not take into consideration the agendas of the individual owners.  Obviously, other than Kraft, I don't think the owners want Brady protected with ridiculous calls, yet it happens.  So my question is, if the officiating is largely driven by financial success/ratings success then most likely it will impact the Bills at some point.  From my perspective it would be very strange to see calls going for the Bills/JA and to see him protected from head to head hits, etc., ala Brady.  

4 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

The relatively higher ratings as discussed in the article I linked is what make me think that the JA led Bills could become a "golden goose" to the NFL.  If the ratings continue to excel I am thinking out loud what it would be like if the officials protected Allen the way they have protected Brady and other NFL money makers.  I did not take into consideration the agendas of the individual owners.  Obviously, other than Kraft, I don't think the owners want Brady protected with ridiculous calls, yet it happens.  So my question is, if the officiating is largely driven by financial success/ratings success then most likely it will impact the Bills at some point.  From my perspective it would be very strange to see calls going for the Bills/JA and to see him protected from head to head hits, etc., ala Brady.  

You basic premise then is that the officials are driven by profits of the NFL to that degree rather than the old adage that you "earn the benefit of the doubt" in those situations.  

I am far more inclined to believe the latter.  But either way, I can't imagine Buffalo ever being considered a huge money maker to the other NFL owners, unless there is a huge renaissance that makes the Buffalo area more like NYC, Dallas, or Chicago in terms of population, and median (with a large disposable) income.  But that's just me :) 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The contracts have nothing to do with it. Contracts are set years in advance but schedules aren't.  Marquee games with stars like Brady attract far more eyeballs and advertising revenue than a young developing qb. Brady, JJ, Aaron Rodgers etc are all tv revenue kings. The fact that we were put on Thanksgiving and flexed for Pittsburgh is a big deal.  If Josh keep trending up the primetime games will follow. Unfortunately last Saturday,  JJ and Watson were the kings.

THIS is it right here.  Josh Allen, Mahomes, Brady, Lamar...doesn't matter the name at a given moment...the NFL made the TV revenue the moment they got the check from the networks.....the networks write that check because they believe they can sell advertising and make a profit.  THAT is what determines the prime time schedules....or the flex games and all that.  What matchup and game do the networks think will be the one that is compelling enough to draw eyeballs to the TV.  They don't sell advertising in 5 year blocks like they do TV contracts.

I suspect based on this that the Bills are going to get more "big" game exposure in 2020 because people want to see them.  I'd expect at least 1 Monday night game, at least one Sunday night game, at least 1 Thursday night game and probalby a couple "National" CBS late games (probably on the road though) 

Would be really sweet if that KC / Buffalo game was a monday night game.

22 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

How about instead of calls favoring one team or another, the officials just call the game fair and down the middle?

Novel concept, I know.

has never and will never work that way

superior athletes add to the interest in the game and get breaks on the rules, for the good of the game

the key is to build a team with superior athletes, it has been done with the Bills, long ago....

16 hours ago, billsherd said:

I see, so bills have no chance of getting these timings.I find  4 o'clock games are perfect not too early and not too late 

They could. When they play at home against the west coast teams they sometimes get the 4:05 start. Or if the network its on has double header that weekend they will get the 4:30 start.

Chargers, Rams ans Seahawks at home this year could all be late afternooners. And the Jets sometimes are 4:00 start when both they and the Giants have afternoon games. Those teams almost never play at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, egd said:

He meant some east coast teams get a 4 PM time slot where much of the nation sees them (that slot is not just for west coast).

That usually happens when a western team travels to the East coast: Dallas/NYG, KC/NE, etc. It’s not normal unless it’s that condition coupled with possible high ratings. NFC north games are generally at 1pm as well unless it’s a marquee matchup -Rodgers vs Brady/Wentz/Mahomes- and they already have a prime SNFB game scheduled. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

That usually happens when a western team travels to the East coast: Dallas/NYG, KC/NE, etc. It’s not normal unless it’s that condition coupled with possible high ratings. NFC north games are generally at 1pm as well unless it’s a marquee matchup -Rodgers vs Brady/Wentz/Mahomes- and they already have a prime SNFB game scheduled. 

they love 1pm so much they give us more than DirectTV has channels to carry

around week 12 or so they had more than they could fit, a friend went ballistic at this when he found out one game wasn't on for his viewing pleasure.. :D

Edited by row_33
  • Haha (+1) 1