Imagine a world where even the NFL realizes the JA led Bills are their "golden goose"

9 minutes ago, egd said:

The network makes more money covering certain teams due to increased viewership. More money means the NFL can get more money from the networks when it is time to re-bid.

The thread topic is about the NFL's revenue ("golden goose"), not how the networks make their broadcast rights fees back.  Plus the NFL makes up the schedule.  Most games are locally committed and the national games are set by the league.   Networks obviously don't share with the NFl how much revenue they make televising the games.

The overall viewership annually will be what the networks use to bargain the rates for the next round of broadcast rights fees.  Nothing they can do about who plays when.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

The thread topic is about the NFL's revenue ("golden goose"), not how the networks make their broadcast rights fees back.  Plus the NFL makes up the schedule.  Most games are locally committed and the national games are set by the league. 

The overall viewership annually will be what the networks use to bargain the rates for the next round of broadcast rights fees.  Nothing they can do about who plays when.

The networks do have input on the schedule. The NFL wants to accommodate them to the extent possible to keep them happy. Better ratings mean the NFL gets more in the next contract.

Just now, egd said:

The networks do have input on the schedule. The NFL wants to accommodate them to the extent possible to keep them happy. Better ratings mean the NFL gets more in the next contract.

It's too unpredictable anyway---every year lots of what looked like the previous year to be marquee prime matchups don't look that way when the following year the games are played.

Most of the televised games are committed by the NFL.  I don't know what games the networks have input on scheduling.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's too unpredictable anyway---every year lots of what looked like the previous year to be marquee prime matchups don't look that way when the following year the games are played.

Most of the televised games are committed by the NFL.  I don't know what games the networks have input on scheduling.

For SNF, the NFL likes to schedule "risky" teams that may suck after the date they are allowed to flex them out in favor of a better match up. That is not always the case, but if the Bills do get SNF, expect it to be in the middle of the season or later.

1 minute ago, egd said:

For SNF, the NFL likes to schedule "risky" teams that may suck after the date they are allowed to flex them out in favor of a better match up. That is not always the case, but if the Bills do get SNF, expect it to be in the middle of the season or later.

Yes, the NFL does that.  The networks don't pick.  

SNF is the premiere prime time game now (followed by TNF), so hope the Bills get flexed later, because that means they are doing well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

I have not seen anyone address this, it is logical speculation.  At some point even the NFL will realize that the success and progression of the JA led Bills is in their financial self interest.  At that point the office/s on high would let the Officials know to protect JA and promote the Bills.  Or maybe it works some other way?

I'm not dismissing your thought, but I think you have it backwards. 

Allen has everything "TV" is looking for in a QB, but he's got to play better in order for the Bills to become appealing to casual fans.

Bills, Browns, KC, Indy. These are teams lacking national "luster" for whatever reason; small market, etc. Teams such as the Bills need a star at QB. As much as Allen fits the mold, the play will need to match the image in order for this to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, egd said:

The network makes more money covering certain teams due to increased viewership. More money means the NFL can get more money from the networks when it is time to re-bid.

Denver is so-so for ratings. The big draws in the AFC are New England and Pittsburgh, with huge national followings. In the NFC, it is Dallas and Green Bay, followed by the rest of the NFC East.

It will be very hard for Buffalo to break through without sustained success, and even then...

Yeah, thanks. I know what the pecking order is...

Denver is 7th overall, 3rd in the AFC after the Steelers, and they have sucked since Manning retired.

Anyway, I still believe a sustained top 10  national following was within their grasp. 

Edited by 32ABBA

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

what is a TV revenue king?

The network contracts are set for years at a time, no matter who the "best" teams are.

The contracts have nothing to do with it. Contracts are set years in advance but schedules aren't.  Marquee games with stars like Brady attract far more eyeballs and advertising revenue than a young developing qb. Brady, JJ, Aaron Rodgers etc are all tv revenue kings. The fact that we were put on Thanksgiving and flexed for Pittsburgh is a big deal.  If Josh keep trending up the primetime games will follow. Unfortunately last Saturday,  JJ and Watson were the kings.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not dismissing your thought, but I think you have it backwards. 

Allen has everything "TV" is looking for in a QB, but he's got to play better in order for the Bills to become appealing to casual fans.

Bills, Browns, KC, Indy. These are teams lacking national "luster" for whatever reason; small market, etc. Teams such as the Bills need a star at QB. As much as Allen fits the mold, the play will need to match the image in order for this to happen.

Completely agree. For Buffalo to move up to a higher tier in the eyes of the NFL, Josh will have to become both a franchise qb and super compelling to the league.  Its doable!

I live in lower Delaware. I was a Baltimore Colt fan as a kid. When they moved there was no way I was going to follow the Redskins. I picked up being a bills fan in 89 and haven't looked back. I was 15 when they started their super bowl run and thought man it's great being a fan of a team that makes it too the playoffs every year. 

Then 97 to 17 happened. If nothing else it makes you appreciate years like this year. I think this team is on the right track to bring great. Allen has one thing that I hope he never losses. He seems to be overly competitive. That's why he shows up late in the game when it's on the line. 

• Like (+1) 3

We have tons of fans not just all over the country, but all over the world. I saw someone in the same Bills winter hat I've had since I was 15, walking down the street in Berlin. I've seen people wearing Bills gear in Sydney. 

If we can win a Super Bowl or two in this era we will unite all the 40somethings and over who remember Thurman, Jimbo, Bruce, Andre, Biscuit, etc., with younger people and be a legendary team... the wagons will be totally circled... let's get this DONE!

9 hours ago, skibum said:

Everyone loves an underdog, and a QB who does crazy stuff. 

Yes, indeed.  And winners.

It's all about winning.

If Josh's lateral somehow ends up in Knox's hands and Knox goes all the way for a winning TD, then it becomes a risky play by a gutsy QB with great situational awareness.

But instead, it's a stupid and unnecessary play (it really was), even though the Bills still tied the score on that drive ... before losing in OT.

It's all about winning.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

I have not seen anyone address this, it is logical speculation.  At some point even the NFL will realize that the success and progression of the JA led Bills is in their financial self interest.  At that point the office/s on high would let the Officials know to protect JA and promote the Bills.  Or maybe it works some other way?  Wouldn't it be strange to see the Zebra calls/flags be in favor of the Bills as they seem to have been for Brady and other NFL money-makers?  I don't see this happening overnight but would not be surprised to see it over a several year period.  Any thoughts?  If my tech skills were better I would add a Rod Serling link, instead all I have is this:  https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/1/7/21051577/buffalo-bills-once-again-draw-huge-tv-ratings

I would think the way Bills Mafia travels and kicks up sales in other markets is another reason...?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

No one wants to root for a loser. Luckily we are on the up. No doubt we will have our work cut out in 2020 given our opponents. I think 9 or 10 wins, wins the AFC East. 

so who youve been rooting for the last 20 years???

• Haha (+1) 1