Sean McDermott wants Bills to remain as intact as possible

Honestly, one guy I completely forgot about from this last draft that could potentially step in for Zo is Vosean Joseph (Vojo). Depending how he develops coming off injury. Has a year under his belt and would be a big speed upgrade. Worst case scenario you roll with Tremaine, Milano, and Corey Thompson, but I’m sure they’ll add to the group. They’ll never do it, but if you have to, I’d consider sliding Tremaine over to replace Zo and give Thompson a shot at MLB on run downs. He’s looked pretty decent when he’s played. Then go to Tremaine and Milano in 2LB sets. 

Edited by TheProcess

2 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I would agree with this philosophy, but let's hope McDermott and Beane see the needs of the offense.

Both mentioned how the O needs to score more and both praised the D. They'll add the right pieces . There is going to be some serious competition in camp , roster will be loaded top to bottom. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beane and McDermott know what they are doing. 

Like the two receivers idea (one vet stud like Sanders or Green and one stud (preferably tall) to break in from the draft);

Edge!  One stud for the defense, FA or draft.

I think we need two running backs - a hammer and a speedy scat/gadget guy.

Punter!

O-Line depth, maybe one upgrade;

Corner depth

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Not if they re sign Tannehill. I think they’re cap strapped. 

I am too lazy right now to dig into cap numbers. Teams always have ways to make cap space and maybe a hometown discount too. Who knows but I would love to have him.

ok here it is lol- Titans have 48 mil as of now in cap- link wont paste sorry.

Edited by billsfan_34

7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Both mentioned how the O needs to score more and both praised the D. They'll add the right pieces . There is going to be some serious competition in camp , roster will be loaded top to bottom. 

If we can get all three phases of the game to where we want to be, it will be awesome!

12 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I would agree with this philosophy, but let's hope McDermott and Beane see the needs of the offense.

both said the bottom line is we didn't score enough points, it didn't sound like an excuse but a problem yet to be solved or addressed.

• Like (+1) 4

If this were the 1980's I could see his reasoning. Today's NFL means other teams will score points. If you can't score points you won't win against better teams.

If Big Ben was QBing the Steelers I would consider that a loss for us, if Tannehill was QBing the Titans that might have been a loss.

You have to score 22-25 points to win consistently. Continuity here with next year's schedule will be a disaster.

At this point I don't think McD gets offense. You let your OC stop the run, you have 2 newbie QBs to start the season, and you decide WRs are optional.

Edited by BigBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

If this were the 1980's I could see his reasoning. Today's NFL means other teams will score points. If you can't score points you won't win against better teams.

If Big Ben was QBing the Steelers I would consider that a loss for us, if Tannehill was QBing the Titans that might have been a loss.

Both Beane and McDermott said they need to score more points, so not sure where you're going here

You have to score 22-25 points to win consistently. Continuity here with next year's schedule will be a disaster.

At this point I don't think McD gets offense. You let your OC stop the run, you have 2 newbie QBs to start the season, and you decide WRs are optional.

Obviously he didn't value continuity from 2017 or 2018 because they completely overhauled the offense last off season.

And obviously continuity or keeping the team together does not mean lack of change or improvement, that's why they have FA and the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

Points scored in regulation for this past weekends playoff games - 

19, 20, 20, 17. 

Buffalo's season average  PPG - 19.0

16 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Sean McDermott wants Bills to remain as intact as possible

Head coach Sean McDermott and General Manager Brandon Beane have spent a lot of time overhauling the Bills roster since joining the organization in 2017, but McDermott’s hope for this offseason isn’t centered around bringing new faces to Buffalo.

McDermott said at a Tuesday press conference that a team picks up a different identity every year, but that he hopes to “keep as much of this team intact as possible” heading into next season. He said that his experience with the Panthers after Super Bowl 50 has colored his thinking on the subject.

“One of the things that happened when we came off the Super Bowl in Carolina is we probably let too many of the leaders out of the building,” McDermott said, via the Buffalo News. “Some of that comes with retirements and other factors. That’s part of what I meant with keeping as much of this team intact as possible. Each team is different but you give yourself a better chance if you keep the team intact.”

mods merge if duplicated 

When we get to the SB (and win) we can revisit this idea. Until then, let’s get a team on players capable of getting us there first.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

19, 20, 20, 17. 

So you use the basis of our SEASON average and juxtapose that with the PLAYOFFS. This slight of hand works on some people.

The playoffs are a different animal. Players, coaches and GMs alike all know this.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Both Beane and McDermott said they need to score more points, so not sure where you're going here

Unless they change the OC I don't see that much of a difference. Josh has struggled with the blitz all year, and the run game was abandoned consistently until the 4th quarter if we were winning to run out the clock.

My point is they don't understand offense so it's hard to score more points even if you say so if you keep continuity.

I mean here's a list:

-Peterman & Allen as the only QBs on the roster to start last year

-Gore as the starting RB this year

-Shelfing Yeldon over Gore or DiMarco

-Not using the run for almost the entire 1st half in many games this year

-Not using screen passes in a game, or a swing pass

I saw nothing creative to stop teams blitzing.

We'll never be the Chiefs or Saints, fine, but can't we produce as many points as Indy minus Luck or the Cards with Murray, or the Panthers with an undrafted QB?

Edited by BigBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

19, 20, 20, 17. 

One weekend's worth of football doesn't change a decade plus trend that has demonstrated you've got to have a strong offense to win in the post-season.  Even still, Buffalo is a 25-25 team with the offense they've put on the field under McD.

I'll take my chances with a really strong offense and enough defense versus a pedestrian offense and excellent defense. 

18 hours ago, MJS said:

I think it's nice to be in a position where we aren't needing to rebuild anything. Retooling is so much better than rebuilding.

My wants:

- Better backup running back (Please don't bring Gore back unless he's inactive every game)

- Bring in a big, stud receiver to develop (from the draft)

- Upgrade one of the oline spots. We're average on the oline and need to upgrade over time to make it dominant

- Add a pass rusher

- Add linebacker depth and potentially a starter to replace Alexander

- Add CB depth

- If possible, upgrade backup QB, but I don't see this as critical

- If possible, upgrade both kicker and punter, but again, not critical

agreed on most, but an additional TE who is a pass catcher, and the Rb needs to be in tha same as Carson or Henry.  We need a young battering ram.  Not as concerned about the backup QB.  Barkley is not a starter, but solid and should return.  We put these kind of weapons on offense and dense, and we will take the next step.

Enough on the Allen firing.  Big Ben and Brady didn’t come into their stride til year three.  They had fantastic defenses.