Sean McDermott wants Bills to remain as intact as possible

On 1/9/2020 at 7:36 AM, longtimebillsfan said:

I would agree with this philosophy, but let's hope McDermott and Beane see the needs of the offense.

Yeah, I think they see the needs. We'll see, I guess, but I'm confident they do.

Average roster turnover in the NFL is around 1/3 every year. You can be below average and remain more intact than most and still see 15 new guys. With our salary cap situation, even after we extend/re-sign some of our own guys, I expect a lot of new faces.

10 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

It’s interesting to me he used the word “leaders” and not “talent”. I think we are putting words in his mouth talking about the talented players only. It’s proven this guy loves old less talented leaders and puts a premium on these players. Sometimes to the detriment of talent.

The more I think about talent the more I think the greatest talent (best NFL players) were frequently not leaders. Many (most?) were self-centered guys with a tremendous amount of individualistic drive to be the best at their position.

You act like it's either/or. It's not. Some talented guys are leaders and vice versa.

And what's proven isn't that he places a premium on old less talented leaders. You have to spin like a dervish to pretend that's proven. You look at the leaders they brought in and some did really well. Some didn't, but the ones who didn't weren't especially high-paid. What was proven was something more like, um, maybe ...

... In a specific rebuild situation with massive turnover, McDermott and Beane valued and made a real attempt to bring in a leader at every position group.

Will they continue to place such a strong emphasis on this as the culture develops and solidifies? Will they start developing their own leaders rather than feeling they have to bring them in? I guess so.

On 1/8/2020 at 2:36 PM, longtimebillsfan said:

I would agree with this philosophy, but let's hope McDermott and Beane see the needs of the offense.

I have no problem with them keeping the good productive players in tack. My concern is will they be able to fairly identify the bad/unproductive ones like Foster, Smith and DiMarco.  Or is this Peterman/Zay all over again?

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Well, first, he was very good. Not outstanding, but very good. He tied that line together, a line that had not had a single guy ever play beside either of the guys he was next to.

But yeah, by NFL free agent standards, he's medium-priced. The top 100 players, by average salary are nearly all on second or third contracts, either FAs or guys who were prevented from going to FAs by being re-signed. Morse doesn't make that list.

For OL FAs, he was medium-priced.

I find it odd to call the second highest guaranteed player at his position "medium priced"
image.thumb.png.867f45e48838569c0d333a2bba9a63f7.png

10 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Hard to imagine any division being softer than NFC East this year. OTOH, I think we will be better next year and playing good teams is a plus if you win a fair number of those games. It gives a young team confidence entering the post-season. I think Josh and the team will make a leap partly because I trust Beane to significantly upgrade the playmakers on offense.

The Bills played arguably the worst divisions in football from each conference this year in the NFC East and AFC North.

Next year they play arguably the best from each conference, in the AFC West and NFC West. 

I get that a lot can change, but anyone saying this year's results don't matter relative to next year is smoking something. We also draw two very tough games after finishing 2nd in our division, having to face the Steelers (presumably with Roethlisberger instead of Hodges) and the Titans. I also expect the Jets and Dolphins to be better. 

I still expect 10 wins, but the schedule will certainly make things challenging. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Genuine #1 with a large catch radius isn't a bare minimum thing. It isn't even a need. It's a want.

You don't need one to win a title. Very few SB winners going back quite a way have had a guy like that.

It's a legitimate thing to want. If we got a guy like that it would be great. But it's not a need ... and thank goodness for that because getting one is extremely tough. There are so few to go around.

What we genuinely do need is an upgrade at #3 WR behind Brown and Beasley. If that guy turns out to be the type of guy you want, fantastic. But it's unlikely. And if we instead get another genuinely good receiver, or maybe even two. that would be plenty.

I'd expect Beane to bring in a big radius guy, unless they really think Duke Williams is going to improve enough that they'd be happy with him. I wouldn't expect the guy they bring in to necessarily be a true #1. That would be lucky.

Well your X receiver doesn't need to have talent at the level of Julius Jones or AJ Green, but he certainly needs to be an upgrade over Duke Williams. I'm thinking along the lines of a less lazy version of Kelvin Benjamin.

I'm thinking of ways the Bills can improve the offense from #24 to top-10. How do you propose they do it? This is what I suggested:

1. X receiver in first two rounds of draft. A healthy AJ Green would be ideal!

2. Scherff or Conklin on the right side of the line to pair with Ford.

3. Power RB, like Carlos Hyde in free agency or someone in the middle rounds of the draft. Derrick Henry would be ideal!

4. Josh Allen improving.

5. Everyone staying healthy.

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

I find it odd to call the second highest guaranteed player at his position "medium priced"
image.thumb.png.867f45e48838569c0d333a2bba9a63f7.png

Yup.  Second highest AAV by a whisper.  He’s a very good center being paid like an outstanding one.  But I’m not complaining as such is the price of rebuilding.  The Bills took some real pain to clear cap space and part of that was so they could write some of those contracts to players like Morse.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:43 PM, Thurman#1 said:

You act like it's either/or. It's not. Some talented guys are leaders and vice versa.

And what's proven isn't that he places a premium on old less talented leaders. You have to spin like a dervish to pretend that's proven. You look at the leaders they brought in and some did really well. Some didn't, but the ones who didn't weren't especially high-paid. What was proven was something more like, um, maybe ...

... In a specific rebuild situation with massive turnover, McDermott and Beane valued and made a real attempt to bring in a leader at every position group.

Will they continue to place such a strong emphasis on this as the culture develops and solidifies? Will they start developing their own leaders rather than feeling they have to bring them in? I guess so.

Meh. He’s talking about this specific team not some imaginary future team. They can stand to lose the existing leaders (Lorax, DiMarco, Smith, Gore, etc) as far as talent goes.

once you have a core and culture it’s important to maintain, surely.