Sean McDermott wants Bills to remain as intact as possible

I think the offense is close. 

Draft a top WR prospect, sign another Brown/Beasley level WR in free agency, and get a bruiser type RB to pair with Singletary. 

Do those 3 things and bring back Spain and I think you see vastly improved offense. Also, sign Dalton to be the backup QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Actually, this is not true.

The year before Coach McDermott and GM Beane arrived we averaged 24.9 points per game and 23.7 the year before that.

I love ? tons about what Coach McDermott has done. The D is awesome. Great culture and teamwork.  PLAYOFFS!!!!!

But his offensive performance has been abysmal.   After 3 years and a total offensive rebuild, this is the best we can do? 19 points per? Sad.  

But we couldn't pass the ball and TT was not bringing us back from being down...

8 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

That can be read as

More weapons on the Offense are needed to ensure more points.

that's how I read it as well. They weren't looking for scapegoats on offense, they were implying more help is needed (and development from Allen)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

But we couldn't pass the ball and TT was not bringing us back from being down...

But we could sure score points.  Put an offense that productive with this team we are playing this weekend and possibly favored.

Fat lot of good being able to pass the football did Saturday.  And no one brought us back from being down.  BECAUSE WE COULDN'T SCORE POINTS.

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

There's a reason McD talked at the Combine about needing to score 21 or more to have a chance to win NFL games.

Teams scoring 21 or more points have won 46 of the last 55 playoff games from 2014 and 2018. 

Gotta score at a higher rate than 19 per game and I trust that McD and Beane will allocate the resources to improve the offense for 2020.  Otherwise, their ceiling is probably 9-10 wins. 

I’ve see it written that 1 player can change the outcome to 3 to 7 points per game.   

on offense those points will get the 21 points he spoke to.  

I’ll repeat myself.    Keep the good, replace the bad.  

On 1/8/2020 at 5:26 PM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Sean McDermott wants Bills to remain as intact as possible

Head coach Sean McDermott and General Manager Brandon Beane have spent a lot of time overhauling the Bills roster since joining the organization in 2017, but McDermott’s hope for this offseason isn’t centered around bringing new faces to Buffalo.

McDermott said at a Tuesday press conference that a team picks up a different identity every year, but that he hopes to “keep as much of this team intact as possible” heading into next season. He said that his experience with the Panthers after Super Bowl 50 has colored his thinking on the subject.

“One of the things that happened when we came off the Super Bowl in Carolina is we probably let too many of the leaders out of the building,” McDermott said, via the Buffalo News. “Some of that comes with retirements and other factors. That’s part of what I meant with keeping as much of this team intact as possible. Each team is different but you give yourself a better chance if you keep the team intact.”

mods merge if duplicated 

All things said are open to change as needed.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they keep 2 out of 3 of the "Big 3" free agents (Spain, Shaq, and Phillips.) Retain Wallace and Foster as exclusive rights free agents and add 1-2 big pieces to complement the roster a bit before going to fill any remaining needs via the draft. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, jrober38 said:

A few things.

1. The Bills played the worst defense that made the playoffs this year

2. The Bills played the 26th hardest strength of schedule this year and were still 23rd in points scored.

(next year we play the 5th hardest SoS based off 2019 results). 

Good news is 2019 results mean nada with regards to next year’s actual sos

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I’ve see it written that 1 player can change the outcome to 3 to 7 points per game.   

on offense those points will get the 21 points he spoke to.  

I’ll repeat myself.    Keep the good, replace the bad.  

why can’t it jus be that simple?  

Or keep everyone you can,

attempt to upgrade weakest areas. 

Select the best roster when building the 53

• Like (+1) 1

I am a bit of a broken record on this subject.  If the Bills are really thinking of themselves as "championship" caliber rather than "playoff" caliber, they need to switch focus from improving the team from the year before and focus on what it is going to take to go from winning zero playoff games to winning 3 or 4 playoff games in a row.  This means figuring out how to get better than the chiefs and ravens. Our QB may become just as good as Mahomes and Jackson. He is not going to become better (neither is any other young QB).   I just don't see how keeping things intact and making small incremental moves propels us past those teams, unless you think those teams are going to collapse. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I am a bit of a broken record on this subject.  If the Bills are really thinking of themselves as "championship" caliber rather than "playoff" caliber, they need to switch focus from improving the team from the year before and focus on what it is going to take to go from winning zero playoff games to winning 3 or 4 playoff games in a row.  This means figuring out how to get better than the chiefs and ravens. Our QB may become just as good as Mahomes and Jackson. He is not going to become better (neither is any other young QB).   I just don't see how keeping things intact and making small incremental moves propels us past those teams, unless you think those teams are going to collapse. 

100% agree. At bare minimum, the Bills need to improve on the following:

1. Upgrade from Gore as the between-the-tackles power RB.

2. Replacement of Alexander at Sam LB.

3. Genuine #1 WR (the "X" WR) with a large catch radius.

4. A young or relatively young DE who can at least share reps with Hughes but eventually replace him.

5. One more good OL (RT or RG, depending on Ford's situation).

Incremental improvements on offense will not suffice. The Bills need to go from the #24 offense to somewhere within the top 10 if they want to overtake the Chiefs and Ravens. Josh Allen doesn't need to be as good as Mahomes or Jackson, but he needs to be solidly above average and he needs help in the form of at least one significant upgrade at RB, WR/TE, and OL...as outlined above.

I also noticed that Sean McDermott is already among the 15 longest-tenured head coaches in the NFL. 6 of them have already won a Super Bowl, all within the first 5 years of coaching. An additional 2 at least have made it to the Super Bowl. An additional 4 are currently alive in the second round of the playoffs. Finally, the 2 remaining (ironically both former Bills head coaches: Marrone and Lynn) have already won playoff games before but are both likely to be fired next year. So my point is that another one and done playoff appearance should not be acceptable. Neither should be getting swept by the Patriots again when all of the other 4 AFC playoff teams have shown this season that they are capable of beating them. Bills fans need to shake off the legacy of failure from the Drought Era and raise their expectations!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/9/2020 at 7:46 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Next year’s identity—pedal to the metal on O? I anticipate at least a couple splash signings to bolster that side of the ball in addition to what should be another good draft day haul. 

If by splash signings you mean guys like Clowney, or guys who are the #1 FAs at key positions, I really doubt it. They've said all along that they will build through the draft and supplement with low- to medium-priced FAs. If you mean medium-priced FAs, guys like Morse, like Brown and Beasley, I'm totally with you and would expect to see more than a couple.

I could see one really expensive FA. Most of the best teams do this, they build through the draft and supplement, but some of them bring in a big-ticket guy every 4 or 5 years or so. I could see that happening here, though I'm not sure this is the year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If by splash signings you mean guys like Clowney, or guys who are the #1 FAs at key positions, I really doubt it. They've said all along that they will build through the draft and supplement with low- to medium-priced FAs. If you mean medium-priced FAs, guys like Morse, like Brown and Beasley, I'm totally with you and would expect to see more than a couple.

I could see one really expensive FA. Most of the best teams do this, they build through the draft and supplement, but some of them bring in a big-ticket guy every 4 or 5 years or so. I could see that happening here, though I'm not sure this is the year.

Is Morse really medium price, or did he just perform like he is medium priced? 

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Good news is 2019 results mean nada with regards to next year’s actual sos

They mean something.

I mean, Seattle, San Fran and KC aren't going to be as bad as the Giants, Bengals and Redskins were this year. 

We had a cupcake schedule this year. It will be significantly harder next season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

They mean something.

I mean, Seattle, San Fran and KC aren't going to be as bad as the Giants, Bengals and Redskins were this year. 

We had a cupcake schedule this year. It will be significantly harder next season. 

cowboys, eagles, patriots, Steelers, jets, browns were all Playoff or Super Bowl contenders in August. 

8 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

It’s interesting to me he used the word “leaders” and not “talent”. I think we are putting words in his mouth talking about the talented players only. It’s proven this guy loves old less talented leaders and puts a premium on these players. Sometimes to the detriment of talent.

The more I think about talent the more I think the greatest talent (best NFL players) were frequently not leaders. Many (most?) were self-centered guys with a tremendous amount of individualistic drive to be the best at their position.

No, that's not putting words in his mouth.

He's specifically said that they have to have the talent, that without the talent they don't get into the room.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Is Morse really medium price, or did he just perform like he is medium priced? 

Well, first, he was very good. Not outstanding, but very good. He tied that line together, a line that had not had a single guy ever play beside either of the guys he was next to.

But yeah, by NFL free agent standards, he's medium-priced. The top 100 players, by average salary are nearly all on second or third contracts, either FAs or guys who were prevented from going to FAs by being re-signed. Morse doesn't make that list.

For OL FAs, he was medium-priced.

Edited by Thurman#1

I get the idea behind keeping everyone together. Keeping continuity and gaining more and more chemistry.

That being said I think at most we sign 2 of the 3 bigger UFA’s at most.

The thing is, I’m not really worried about losing any of them. I’m honestly most interested in keeping Kevin Johnson on board. He provides good starting caliber depth at a key position. 

I believe Guard, Defensive Tackle, and Defensive End could all be replaced by the same caliber or better players for the same or  less money than Spain/Phillips/Lawson will get on the open market. Whereas I doubt we’ll see a starting corner come in for much less than a guy like Kevin Johnson. 

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

They mean something.

Hard to imagine any division being softer than NFC East this year. OTOH, I think we will be better next year and playing good teams is a plus if you win a fair number of those games. It gives a young team confidence entering the post-season. I think Josh and the team will make a leap partly because I trust Beane to significantly upgrade the playmakers on offense.

2 hours ago, KayAdams said:

100% agree. At bare minimum, the Bills need to improve on the following:

1. Upgrade from Gore as the between-the-tackles power RB.

2. Replacement of Alexander at Sam LB.

3. Genuine #1 WR (the "X" WR) with a large catch radius.

4. A young or relatively young DE who can at least share reps with Hughes but eventually replace him.

5. One more good OL (RT or RG, depending on Ford's situation).

Incremental improvements on offense will not suffice. The Bills need to go from the #24 offense to somewhere within the top 10 if they want to overtake the Chiefs and Ravens. Josh Allen doesn't need to be as good as Mahomes or Jackson, but he needs to be solidly above average and he needs help in the form of at least one significant upgrade at RB, WR/TE, and OL...as outlined above.

I also noticed that Sean McDermott is already among the 15 longest-tenured head coaches in the NFL. 6 of them have already won a Super Bowl, all within the first 5 years of coaching. An additional 2 at least have made it to the Super Bowl. An additional 4 are currently alive in the second round of the playoffs. Finally, the 2 remaining (ironically both former Bills head coaches: Marrone and Lynn) have already won playoff games before but are both likely to be fired next year. So my point is that another one and done playoff appearance should not be acceptable. Neither should be getting swept by the Patriots again when all of the other 4 AFC playoff teams have shown this season that they are capable of beating them. Bills fans need to shake off the legacy of failure from the Drought Era and raise their expectations!

Genuine #1 with a large catch radius isn't a bare minimum thing. It isn't even a need. It's a want.

You don't need one to win a title. Very few SB winners going back quite a way have had a guy like that.

It's a legitimate thing to want. If we got a guy like that it would be great. But it's not a need ... and thank goodness for that because getting one is extremely tough. There are so few to go around.

What we genuinely do need is an upgrade at #3 WR behind Brown and Beasley. If that guy turns out to be the type of guy you want, fantastic. But it's unlikely. And if we instead get another genuinely good receiver, or maybe even two. that would be plenty.

I'd expect Beane to bring in a big radius guy, unless they really think Duke Williams is going to improve enough that they'd be happy with him. I wouldn't expect the guy they bring in to necessarily be a true #1. That would be lucky.