Sean McDermott wants Bills to remain as intact as possible

Sean McDermott wants Bills to remain as intact as possible

Head coach Sean McDermott and General Manager Brandon Beane have spent a lot of time overhauling the Bills roster since joining the organization in 2017, but McDermott’s hope for this offseason isn’t centered around bringing new faces to Buffalo.

McDermott said at a Tuesday press conference that a team picks up a different identity every year, but that he hopes to “keep as much of this team intact as possible” heading into next season. He said that his experience with the Panthers after Super Bowl 50 has colored his thinking on the subject.

“One of the things that happened when we came off the Super Bowl in Carolina is we probably let too many of the leaders out of the building,” McDermott said, via the Buffalo News. “Some of that comes with retirements and other factors. That’s part of what I meant with keeping as much of this team intact as possible. Each team is different but you give yourself a better chance if you keep the team intact.”

mods merge if duplicated 

• Like (+1) 7

20 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I would agree with this philosophy, but let's hope McDermott and Beane see the needs of the offense.

I am sure they do. 

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It feel like they're getting into the mindset of adjusting the roster instead of rebuilding it like they've been doing the last 3 years. Doesn't mean there won't be changes to get better but they're not building entire position groups anymore.

and that’s a good thing IMO. Fill in the gaps

10 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Next year’s identity—pedal to the metal on O? I anticipate at least a couple splash signings to bolster that side of the ball in addition to what should be another good draft day haul. 

BIG hands on WR and TE 

OLine depth would be nice 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it's nice to be in a position where we aren't needing to rebuild anything. Retooling is so much better than rebuilding.

My wants:

- Better backup running back (Please don't bring Gore back unless he's inactive every game)

- Bring in a big, stud receiver to develop (from the draft)

- Upgrade one of the oline spots. We're average on the oline and need to upgrade over time to make it dominant

- Add a pass rusher

- Add linebacker depth and potentially a starter to replace Alexander

- Add CB depth

- If possible, upgrade backup QB, but I don't see this as critical

- If possible, upgrade both kicker and punter, but again, not critical

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think it's nice to be in a position where we aren't needing to rebuild anything. Retooling is so much better than rebuilding.

My wants:

- Better backup running back (Please don't bring Gore back unless he's inactive every game)

- Upgrade one of the oline spots. We're average on the oline and need to upgrade over time to make it dominant

- Add a pass rusher

- Add CB depth

I agree.  Punter may be a higher priority though.  They were pretty bad in many punting categories this year.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

My wants:

- Add a pass rusher

- Add CB depth

Agree with all of this. That said they both mentioned vetran presence in the room. Who is availiable at RB that brings this yet also brings yards in the game? 

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

“One of the things that happened when we came off the Super Bowl in Carolina is we probably let too many of the leaders out of the building,” McDermott said, via the Buffalo News. “

You do realize what that means?  Frank Gore is on this team in 2020!

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I would agree with this philosophy, but let's hope McDermott and Beane see the needs of the offense.

So true, the O needs should come before the D needs this upcoming season, I would think that would be pretty darn obvious, need to  turn field goals into touchdowns, and do it real soon, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

this concerns me in regards to offense.  My thinking would be to over haul the offense by bringing in a proven offensive coordinator and handing the offense to him and let him run it.  Someone like Norv Turner or Schmur. 

Give him personnel decisions too since i don't think Coach McDermott and possibly Beane would know offensive talent if it bit him on the bum.  Nate Peterman is a starting caliber QB.  Let's sign Yeldon but never let him play and instead feed a 36 year old RB.  Ignoring the WR position.  Moving up to draft a QB and then surrounding him with bums at WR.  Draft the biggest project QB and don't have a veteran QB on the roster, only him and Nasty Nate.  etc.

McDermott inherited the 10th highest scoring offense and 3 bad offensive years later, we are mid 20s.  Not good.

Get someone that knows what they are doing and turn them loose.

Regardless, we're going to have a lot of new guys next year.  Just how the NFL works.

Edited by reddogblitz

I understand keeping the defense together

but if mcd and Beane don’t look at our offense and see something seriously wrong with it they are no different  than the GM’s and coaches that came before 

if we finish bottom 5 passing offense again NE will win the division with a crippled Brady 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

You do realize what that means?  Frank Gore is on this team in 2020!

possibly. 

I'm thinking Wades development will factor into that decision. 

36 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

this concerns me in regards to offense.  My thinking would be to over haul the offense by bringing in a proven offensive coordinator and handing the offense to him and let him run it.  Someone like Norv Turner or Schmur. 

Give him personnel decisions too since i don't think Coach McDermott and possibly Beane would know offensive talent if it bit him on the bum.  Nate Peterman is a starting caliber QB.  Let's sign Yeldon but never let him play and instead feed a 36 year old RB.  Ignoring the WR position.  Moving up to draft a QB and then surrounding him with bums at WR.  Draft the biggest project QB and don't have a veteran QB on the roster, only him and Nasty Nate.  etc.

McDermott inherited the 10th highest scoring offense and 3 bad offensive years later, we are mid 20s.  Not good.

Get someone that knows what they are doing and turn them loose.

Regardless, we're going to have a lot of new guys next year.  Just how the NFL works.

there are still needs on offense that need additional players.  

I think the point is to keep the guys with A and B grades and seek new talent 

• Like (+1) 1