Define "veteran presence in each position group"

cage

For example, when I look at our LBers, where Lorenzo Alexander is now retiring, do we really need a "veteran" replacement to provide guidance to the young'ns?  Matt Milano is going on year #4 and Terrell Edmunds on year #3.  They've spent their entire professional careers learning how to lead, conduct meetings, break down film, take care of their bodies.... at the feet of Lorax and by extension to the whole D, Kyle Williams.  At what point do they become the veterans that Vosean Joseph and whoever we pick this year will learn from?  I think the time is here...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, cage said:

For example, when I look at our LBers, where Lorenzo Alexander is now retiring, do we really need a "veteran" replacement to provide guidance to the young'ns?  Matt Milano is going on year #4 and Terrell Edmunds on year #3.  They've spent their entire professional careers learning how to lead, conduct meetings, break down film, take care of their bodies.... at the feet of Lorax and by extension to the whole D, Kyle Williams.  At what point do they become the veterans that Vosean Joseph and whoever we pick this year will learn from?  I think the time is here...

Good offseason topic...

To your point, I think once a player gets the "C" he becomes the defacto leader at his position.  So Josh and Tremaine are likely fully in the roles at their position after spending the last year as captains. 

As to the other positions for 2020-- there may be some holes to fill:

OL - Morse

TE- Smith is still under contract as is Kroft

QB-Josh with Barkley as a sounding board

WR-Brown and Beasley

RB/FB - Gore is an UFA/DiMarco 2020 will be the final year of a 4 year deal

DL-Hughes (Jordan Phillips was important to Ed Oliver this year)

LB - Tremaine

Corner - Tre White in year 4

Safety - Interchangeable Hyde and Poyer

The Bills are strong in this category.  If you look at the veteran leadership philosophy - a veteran RB; a veteran DT; a veteran LB (sounding board for Tremaine) may be targets in FA.

BTW--Tremaine is going to be a monster next year.  If he leaps like he did from year 1 to 2 from year 2 to 3 -- we are talking Pro Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1