Things that have gotten you in hot water at work

Another Fan

19 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Once called a customer an idiot with a live phone. Boss called me into the office for it and said while he agreed that the guys an idiot, probably best I didn't do that again. Lesson: make sure the phone is hung up.

I didn’t call them idiots, but while running bank branches on multiple occasions I took clients who frequently berated employees up to the teller line and gave them a Cashiers Check for every penny they had in our bank. Waived penalties for early withdrawal on CD’s, and told them they cannot behave that way with our people. Do NOT come back!

The jerks were shocked! I guess nobody ever stood up to them. This could have gotten me into trouble (ie voiding an 8% CD in a 5% market), but it never happened. (And we could have fixed it if it ever became a stink.) It made some nasty people think about their behavior, and it made for a VERY loyal staff. They do NOT have to put up with that!

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I started dating a Nurse from a hospital we were doing referral business with.  I lost interest in her after a few dates.   Then we stopped getting referrals....

So you tapped it and then blew her off, huh?

29 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

So you tapped it and then blew her off, huh?

I bet he just wanted to “play doctor” for a while, then moved on. He did not take her temperature with a probe in the ear, I’m guessing. 

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Once called a customer an idiot with a live phone. Boss called me into the office for it and said while he agreed that the guys an idiot, probably best I didn't do that again. Lesson: make sure the phone is hung up.

I had to fire someone on the spot for this.  She thought she hung up .. didn't.  Proceeded to say what a B word the client was and what a pain in the ass ... on and on.  This particular client had a direct line to someone WAY above me.  I got a call.  They said, "you need to terminate this person's employment now."  Thirty minutes later, it was done.

I ALWAYS hang up, then hit speaker to make sure there's a dial tone, THEN pick up the handset to make sure I get another dial tone ... then I vent.

Fortunately, I’ve never gotten into hot water since I began my “real” professional career.  When I was in my early 20’s, however, I was working for a catering company waiting tables at weddings.  It was a fun job, I worked with a bunch of hot girls, and was making some pretty good $ under the table.  Sweet gig.

Anyway, about half way through the summer they hired this creepy bartender dude who fed us drinks all night long (I think he was trying to impress the young girls).  Many of us were putting away 8-10 drinks per shift.  I have no idea how the boss didn’t just notice that we were all hammered.

So, an anonymous co-worker snitched on the bartender, and my boss got him to confess and give names or he’d call the police on him for serving under age kids.  

I remember like it was yesterday.  Boss called me in to his office when I arrived to work.  He asked me if I knew anything about people drinking at work.  I knew something was up, so I just admitted to everything.  Worst part about it was that he knew I was drunk ?  the night of one wedding when I drove the cube truck with all the catering stuff back to the restaurant to unload.  I ended up backing into the dumpster and put a huge dent in the rear end ??

He chewed my ass out FIERCELY, but miraculously I didn’t lose my job.  Worked there for 4 or 5 years until grad school actually.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

We do contract work and one day when I was younger I got into a pretty big verbal argument with a union guy of one of the clients we were working for. I called him an ####### (which he was) and he immediately called and told his boss who was on site within about 10 min. Things had calmed down a bit and by the time it was all said and done we had even shook hands and the guy said I was “alright” but got thrown off the property for the rest of the day. When I told my boss about it he just laughed and I know he was proud. 

I got caught making out with a hot chick in cooler by her older sister head chef, who I went on a couple dates earlier that year 

Another time I got in trouble for playing  hackysack in prep area of kitchen 

30 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I also once got caught having sex with the cleaning lady on my desk but I wasn’t aware that was wrong. Had to plead ignorance but still was fired. 

B word set me up, dot on the cashmere sweater

I don't think I've ever gotten in trouble at work.  I did threaten to throw a manager out an eighth-floor window once...but all that happened is I was told to wait my turn in line.  

Gotten other people fired, though.  Had an absentee manager who showed up for work drunk one morning after his golf outing and tried to take a swing at me in front of the whole company.  That was fun.