Bills DL Coach Bill Teerlinck leaving for same position at Va Tech

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Knowing nothing about the situation, that was my immediate reaction too.

I assumed he was asked to leave, otherwise the career move doesn't make a lot of sense.

Haha...it doesn't make sense?  To who? You?  You have zero idea what motivated him to take that job.  Could be wanting his kids to grow up in a small town....maybe he's sick of the Buffalo winters.....maybe he's tired of dealing with the NFL egos. 

VT replaced long-time DC Bud Foster with a 37 year old Justin Hamilton.  Hamilton is a former Hokie player who has been back in the program for two years - the past year as safeties coach.  Just thinking that Coach Fuente wanted some added experience in the D coaching room.  It also helps that Teerlink has the trust factor of working with Fuente in the past. 

Additionally, I would imagine Hamilton is making a lot less than Foster (who was one of the highest paid assistants in College Football) so there was money to throw around to attract some high caliber coaches for the D Staff to help a young coordinator. 

All factors I would guess...

2 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I was never impressed with him, his defensive lines would get blown off the ball defending the run, his defensive line would go  games without generating a sack.  When you play  Leslie Frazier's, 19th century cover two you need an attacking defensive line that attacks the line of scrimmage. I hope Buffalo can find a good defensive line coach with an attacking style.

What percentage of time do you think we played “19th century cover 2.” 

https://hokiesports.com/news/2020/1/8/football-fuente-adds-nfl-coaching-veteran-bill-teerlinck-as-techs-defensive-line-coach.aspx

He has a history with the head coach. 

Found this interesting though:

Fuente also confirmed on Wednesday that Darryl Tapp will serve as co-defensive line coach for the Hokies, working with Teerlinck.

So, he’s moving from the NFL to college to be a co-defensive line coach?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

This sucks, I was just thinking whoever the Bills D-Line coach is did a great job. Is this a rare occurrence for a D-Line coach to go from the NFL to college?

Yep I think the D line was coached very very well.

3 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I can not imagine a college will pay more for an assistant coaching position than the pros.  I wonder if he may have desires to be a head coach at the college level.

This loss will hurt.

Could be that he saw a quicker path of advancement and prefers college 

I ain't mad he's leaving.

Never forgave his notorious dirty tactics teaching dad John Teerlinck and then Minnesota DC Tony Dungy for Jim Kelly getting his knee taken out in that pivotal Vikings game in 1994.

Something definitely weird about this though.........maybe he and McD had differences.

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

There are at most 3 people on TSW that know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to the nuances of NFL position coaching.     

That is all...

Thanks I appreciate that. If you don’t mind my asking, who are the other two?  Because I can’t think of any. 

I was never impressed with him, his defensive lines would get blown off the ball defending the run, his defensive line would go  games without generating a sack.  When you play  Leslie Frazier's, 19th century cover two you need an attacking defensive line that attacks the line of scrimmage. I hope Buffalo can find a good defensive line coach with an attacking style.  I like Eric Washington.