Bills DL Coach Bill Teerlinck leaving for same position at Va Tech

YoloinOhio

I was never impressed with him, his defensive lines would get blown off the ball defending the run, his defensive line would go  games without generating a sack.  When you play  Leslie Frazier's, 19th century cover two you need an attacking defensive line that attacks the line of scrimmage. I hope Buffalo can find a good defensive line coach with an attacking style.

He might feel like his hands are tied here with the HC and DC being heavily involved in every aspect of this defense. His contributions could be easily overlooked/overshadowed. He might have a issue with McD or Frazier, who knows but it is very strange to go from the NFL to college.

I am available! 

But seriously, I'm guessing they pursue Eric Washington. He was the D line coach under Sean McDermott in Carolina, got promoted to DC and did a pretty terrible job under Rivera. So a really good DL coach who was a bit in over his head as a DC. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The Bills are finally thought of as a good enough organization for teams to poach talent from as opposed to seeing coaches get fired and have success elsewhere (sometimes.) 

I don't think a lateral move to lower level of football fits your narrative. My best guess is the Bills told him to look elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't think a lateral move to lower level of football fits your narrative. My best guess is the Bills told him to look elsewhere. 

I misread the title I thought it was for the HC position. Weird as thought the D-line play outside of that blip in run defense in the middle of the season had been mostly good. But maybe internally there were issues or this was a personal issue with Teerlinck. 

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

This sucks, I was just thinking whoever the Bills D-Line coach is did a great job. Is this a rare occurrence for a D-Line coach to go from the NFL to college?

I agree.  It sounds a little Hokie. 

• Haha (+1) 3

I wonder if he got the sense or knew they weren't happy with his performance.  

I get the coaching with an old friend part but seems it would be better for your career to be attached with one of the best defenses in the entire NFL.  

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure about pay - some programs pay assistants very well, some don’t. The biggest difference is recruiting. It’s non stop.

-better weather

-less year long stress

-dealing with kids rather than millionares

-nice college with a great campus atmosphere

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That's kind of an odd move if he was well thought-of at OBD.

Also, he looks like a police sketch...

Knowing nothing about the situation, that was my immediate reaction too.

I assumed he was asked to leave, otherwise the career move doesn't make a lot of sense.