Bills DL Coach Bill Teerlinck leaving for same position at Va Tech

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Does he have ties to VA Tech... I’m assuming there is a pay raise associated with it because it was a lateral move... don’t know if a college job is better than a pro job at the same position.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

That's kind of an odd move if he was well thought-of at OBD.

Also, he looks like a police sketch...

Is he a VA Tech guy? It seems we should be able to keep him if we really want him. I’m not sure I really get the full picture here......

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

Does he have ties to VA Tech... I’m assuming there is a pay raise associated with it because it was a lateral move... don’t know if a college job is better than a pro job at the same position.

I can't see them outbidding an NFL team just to bag a DLine coach. Weird move til we get his reasoning. Then probably still a weird move.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Going back to coach with a friend Fuente

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

Friends with the HC

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Is he a VA Tech guy? It seems we should be able to keep him if we really want him. I’m not sure I really get the full picture here......

No but Coached with Fuente previously 

https://buffalonews.com/2020/01/08/buffalo-bills-bill-teerlinck-sean-mcdermott-virginia-tech-nfl-football-news-2020/

Teerlinck informed Bills coach Sean McDermott of his intentions on Sunday, a day after Buffalo's wild-card playoff loss against the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources.

McDermott didn't share the news during his season wrap-up news conference Tuesday, apparently to give Virginia Tech the chance to make the announcement Wednesday. There was no immediate word on the Bills' choice to replace Teerlinck, who played a key role in the development of rookie tackle Ed Oliver after the team made the former University of Houston standout the ninth overall pick of the draft.

Teerlinck, who joined the Bills as an assistant defensive line coach soon after McDermott became their head coach in 2017, got his start in coaching working with Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente when they were assistants at Illinois State. Teerlinck was Illinois State's defensive line coach and assisted with special teams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Not sure about pay - some programs pay assistants very well, some don’t. The biggest difference is recruiting. It’s non stop.

• Like (+1) 2

We have an assistant defensive line coach, Aaron Whitecotton, on staff currently. 

After promoting Chad Hall from within last year to WR coach, I bet we do the same here. 

Edited by JGMcD2

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Going back to coach with a friend Fuente.  And likely wants out of the NFL Grind.  Coaching College much easier

Also likely saw no upward mobility in Buffalo with Fraiser and McD as DC

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Going back to coach with a friend Fuente.  And likely wants out of the NFL Grind.  Coaching College much easier

I wouldn’t say easier. Maybe lower expectations. The time and travel is exponentially higher with the recruiting aspect. 

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

This sucks, I was just thinking whoever the Bills D-Line coach is did a great job. Is this a rare occurrence for a D-Line coach to go from the NFL to college?

As a lateral move I would say it’s pretty rare 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t say easier. Maybe lower expectations. The time and travel is exponentially higher with the recruiting aspect. 

As a lateral move I would say it’s pretty rare 

The other thing is there were is the upward mobility?  He wont get a DC job in the NFL because everyone knows it is McD and Fraiser, and that also limits the internal DC move as well because Fraiser wont go anywhere.  So likely lets get back with a Friend, recruit well (easier now with NFL Ties), and get the DC job in VT, probably the faster upward mobility for him going this route