My Off-Season Primer: Position Group: RB

MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Random UFA to think about as just another piece of the puzzle: Matt Breida. He brings a one cut, speed element that differs from Motor. him plus someone like AJ Dillon and we'd have a pretty diverse group. 

Would need to see contract. Like him. Seems oft injured so might fit in my budget for a UFA RB. 5M AVV is MAX I go. 

again I also know I place LOW value on this position. I won’t spend on a back and I won’t draft a back in rounds 1 or 2. Ever 

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Would need to see contract. Like him. Seems oft injured so might fit in my budget for a UFA RB. 5M AVV is MAX I go. 

again I also know I place LOW value on this position. I won’t spend on a back and I won’t draft a back in rounds 1 or 2. Ever 

I would think it would have to be quite a low contract. Between his injury history, and the fact that Shanahan could make me look like a stud RB in that offense, I can't imagine his value is very high. 

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And like Zeke and Gurley will be immediately overpaid the minute it is signed. 

no. And wouldn’t want that. 

I think a top end TE like Hooper or Henry would be smarter use of the money. And helps the offense as a whole A lot More than a RB

Could be the case.  Other than having more reliable hands, Hooper and Henry don’t offer much more than Knox imo.  More, sure.  Not like the difference between Henry and any other RB we’ll be adding.  I think JA will benefit better from having a dominant running game rather than one additional target.  Henry will give us a dominant run game if we continue to upgrade the OL, as we should be doing.

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Could be the case.  Other than having more reliable hands, Hooper and Henry don’t offer much more than Knox imo.  More, sure.  Not like the difference between Henry and any other RB we’ll be adding.  I think JA will benefit better from having a dominant running game rather than one additional target.  Henry will give us a dominant run game if we continue to upgrade the OL, as we should be doing.

knox and Hooper 

or

Knox and Henry 

are a Major upgrade over Knox and Kroft or Knox and Smith. 

young QBs best friend legit talent at TE.  

also the TE also helps the WRs.

How does on cover a Hooper, Knox, Brown and Beasley with Singletary as lone back. 

do they do nickel (Matchup issues all over) 

but I get your point. Don’t wanna turn it into a TE vs RB thread. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

knox and Hooper 

or

Knox and Henry 

are a Major upgrade over Knox and Kroft or Knox and Smith. 

young QBs best friend legit talent at TE.  

also the TE also helps the WRs.

How does on cover a Hooper, Knox, Brown and Beasley with Singletary as lone back. 

do they do nickel (Matchup issues all over) 

but I get your point. Don’t wanna turn it into a TE vs RB thread. 

We differ in regards to what is “josh allens best friend for the next two seasons”.  Ryan tannehill went from a guy no one wanted to beating tom brady in a playoff game in fox pro with a lesser defense than ours.  Better weapons sure, but what did those weapons do that game?  You know what Derrick Henry did.

1 hour ago, frogger said:

If I’m drafting I get two.  Najee Harris in the 4th and AJ Dillon in the 5th, Dillon isn’t a bad blocker and could you imagine seeing a backfield with Allen, Harris, Dillon and Singletary all in it at once in a wishbone formation?

that would be so crazy, touchdown city. they would eat everybody's lunch fr

I ran a few simulations on fanspeak and my favorite results had Cam Akers in the 4th and Dillon with 1 of our 5th. FSU has had such a bad oline the last 3 yrs, but Akers still produced. When i say bad, think Bill line last year. If Akers can do what he did behind that line, he should do well behind a competent line like ours. That has us with Devin, Cam and Dillon. All 3 i n rookie deals too. Just my take.

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I ran a few simulations on fanspeak and my favorite results had Cam Akers in the 4th and Dillon with 1 of our 5th. FSU has had such a bad oline the last 3 yrs, but Akers still produced. When i say bad, think Bill line last year. If Akers can do what he did behind that line, he should do well behind a competent line like ours. That has us with Devin, Cam and Dillon. All 3 i n rookie deals too. Just my take.

I wouldn’t be opposed to 2 later picks at RB and clean house in the room except for the three youngsters. I just am not thinking that is realistic with the mindset of Beane and McD. I would like it though. Specially if one of Dillon or Akers play ST. 

• Like (+1) 2

Is there a Henry clone in this year's draft that we could get in the 3rd round or later?

I'd love to see Henry (or a clone) paired with Singletary. 

It never felt this year like the Bills could consistently line up and impose their will. I think it's because as good as Singletary is, once he needed a breather we couldn't run the ball or it was a waste of a play. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Might need to be a 4th as I refine my grades but right now my early grades have him at 161 overall. That could be my downgrading the position Bias as well.  

You are going to see Najee Harris move up in this draft. This kid has ridiculous stats. Averaged over 6 yards per carry during his 3 years. Ran right over Auburn, LSU and Michigan. It may take a late 3rd to get him but he's my target after research. Get the best WR @ 22 (Shenault/Higgins) or hope Jefferson falls to 2nd round?

Najee is the real deal and would be a perfect compliment to Singletary. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great post @MAJBobby, appreciate all the detail and hard work on your part.

Agree with all of your takes except for the fact that I believe Moss and Harris won't last until the 5th round. I know the position is devalued (and I am completely against paying a UFA like Henry top dollar or drafting an RB in the 1st round), but I'd spend our late 3rd or trade up in the 4th to get Moss, Harris, or Edwards-Helaire if that's what it took. 

Getting an upgrade at RB2 would be huge for this offense and the middle of the draft seems like the best way to do this. Go Bills!

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I hear you on the Vet in the room thing.  IMO there are certain position groups that don't need it.  And RB is at the top of those groups.  it is the easiest position to play in football.

And Dillon is a good choice too that would allow for using one of our  6ths at this point 

Yep would cost very little and would add some flexibility and physicality to the offense. I guess the deciding factor would be his special teams play.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to 2 later picks at RB and clean house in the room except for the three youngsters. I just am not thinking that is realistic with the mindset of Beane and McD. I would like it though. Specially if one of Dillon or Akers play ST. 

I’ve been a fan of this kid for a while. I’d be perfectly content with adding him in the lay 4th or 5th. 5’11, 220 lbs and can catch. Added bonus.... watch him carry Jamal Adams 10 yards around the 2:10 mark.

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Tier 2

Adrian Peterson

LSean McCoy

Bilal Powell

Those can't possibly be the best Tier 2 running backs in FA.   There are always a million FA RBs....shouldn't be that hard to find one and add a mid-round draft pick.

Count me against the big money D Henry fantasy.  Rather spend those dollars on a pass rusher, WR or CB.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Those can't possibly be the best Tier 2 running backs in FA.   There are always a million FA RBs....shouldn't be that hard to find one and add a mid-round draft pick.

Count me against the big money D Henry fantasy.  Rather spend those dollars on a pass rusher, WR or CB.

Those are the TIer two that would be in the Dollar Range I believe. Hence my disclaimer. If I added everyone all the names would make the post way to long