The plan to replace Lorenzo Alexander?

warrior9

10 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

I'd hope for Judon as well, he's a beast and all over the field.   I'd also take Bud Dupree from Pittsburgh.   He'd be a solid addition who's improved year to year and has shown great ability to rush the passer as well as stuffing the run. 

He’s great. I think Markus Golden is also a similar player.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

I'd hope for Judon as well, he's a beast and all over the field.   I'd also take Bud Dupree from Pittsburgh.   He'd be a solid addition who's improved year to year and has shown great ability to rush the passer as well as stuffing the run. 

I think Dupree is more a jerry Hughes position compare.  Hes likely going to resigned by steelers, but if not, his asking price is going to be top defensive end/edge money, not Sam linebacker type deal

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I just don't see that happening. McDermott probably sees him as his Luke from Carolina. I'm not sure how his skills would translate to being an OLB but I don't think we'll ever know. At worst, I think we see them moving him around a lot next year with the absence of lorax.

Yeah I don’t see a permanent move for him. But that’s ok I don’t want to move him full time. I like the idea of lining him up all over though and keeping teams guessing what position he’ll actually be playing and if he’s coverage or blitzing or spying. His size/speed  and position he’s played makes him the ultimate Swiss Army knife 

• Like (+1) 1

With the Washington hire, a guy that might make sense is Bruce Irvin. He has a lot of experience as a 4-3 SAM from his days in Seattle. He has length, speed, can still cover, and can play defensive end on passing downs. He also has experience as a 3-4 OLB, which would help in 4-3 under looks. Obviously Eric Washington would be familiar with him and he's a former teammate of Heath Farwell. At 32 years old he just had 8.5 sacks. I think he might be the perfect replacement for Lorax. 

On 1/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, warrior9 said:

In this defense, McDermott/Frazier used Lorenzo is a lot of different packages. 1st and 2nd down when on the field he played a pretty standard 4-3 LB. 

Where it gets interesting is on third down, he played the 3 tech (standing up) and would rush off the edge. He's 6'1 245ish so he is a pretty big body. I think his athleticism is ~ avg for an NFL LB.

Do they (or you) think that Vosean Joseph is this guy? He is 6'1 230 or so (now has had a full year to train so may be more now), hes super athletic, and has awesome instincts but i'm unfamiliar with his coverage ability.  I hate that we couldn't really see him play this year. In an ideal world, he is the guy. An LB corp with Edmunds, Milano, and Joseph would be an insanely athletic and fast group.

What do you think they do to replace him and/or what you like them to do to replace him? 

Move Edmunds outside, go after one of the FA ILBs.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

With the Washington hire, a guy that might make sense is Bruce Irvin. He has a lot of experience as a 4-3 SAM from his days in Seattle. He has length, speed, can still cover, and can play defensive end on passing downs. He also has experience as a 3-4 OLB, which would help in 4-3 under looks. Obviously Eric Washington would be familiar with him and he's a former teammate of Heath Farwell. At 32 years old he just had 8.5 sacks. I think he might be the perfect replacement for Lorax. 

Makes sense.  I wonder what he gets on the open market nowadays 

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Where would Edmunds play in a Belichick coached defense?  

Exactly!  

Seriously?  That’s your reasoning?

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Makes sense.  I wonder what he gets on the open market nowadays 

Seriously?  That’s your reasoning?

No, but it's a strong argument toward my point.  Look at Edmunds.  Look at his frame and his measurables.  He is a waste at the MLB spot.  In a Belichick coached defense, he would be in the Vrabel/Ninkovich role on the outside.

Not that hard to grasp.

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

No, but it's a strong argument toward my point.  Look at Edmunds.  Look at his frame and his measurables.  He is a waste at the MLB spot.  In a Belichick coached defense, he would be in the Vrabel/Ninkovich role on the outside.

Not that hard to grasp.

Yeah, while also playing a 3-4.....we play a completely different D.  Comparing apples to oranges 

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of drafting a Day 3 guy to compete with Vosean Joseph. A name I want to throw in is Akeem Davis-Gaither out of App State. Watch his tape against South Carolina this year. He has sideline to sideline speed, and can rush the passer. The Athletic has him in the Top 100 but I wonder if they could snag him in Round 4. That saves the first 2-3 rounds for WR, DE, OL

2 hours ago, Mattyice said:

I like the idea of drafting a Day 3 guy to compete with Vosean Joseph. A name I want to throw in is Akeem Davis-Gaither out of App State. Watch his tape against South Carolina this year. He has sideline to sideline speed, and can rush the passer. The Athletic has him in the Top 100 but I wonder if they could snag him in Round 4. That saves the first 2-3 rounds for WR, DE, OL

Cornerback is a big need.

Joseph is a great pass rusher and creates game changing plays.  He is also a bit unreliable in being disciplined - he is the type of guy that you'd love to allow to freelance.  However, the Bills D seems to be predicated on discipline and assignments.  So it may take a little while for Joseph to find his way into game action as he tries to balance his instincts with discipline required for the scheme.  But then again maybe the Bills run some schemes for a few plays a game to give him that freedom and he could make a nice little spot for himself on the D.  I think he's an incredible player, but understand why the Bills wanted to give him some time before really putting into games.

Edited by Ayjent

On 1/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, warrior9 said:

In this defense, McDermott/Frazier used Lorenzo is a lot of different packages. 1st and 2nd down when on the field he played a pretty standard 4-3 LB. 

Where it gets interesting is on third down, he played the 3 tech (standing up) and would rush off the edge. He's 6'1 245ish so he is a pretty big body. I think his athleticism is ~ avg for an NFL LB.

Do they (or you) think that Vosean Joseph is this guy? He is 6'1 230 or so (now has had a full year to train so may be more now), hes super athletic, and has awesome instincts but i'm unfamiliar with his coverage ability.  I hate that we couldn't really see him play this year. In an ideal world, he is the guy. An LB corp with Edmunds, Milano, and Joseph would be an insanely athletic and fast group.

What do you think they do to replace him and/or what you like them to do to replace him? 

I like this pondering. I haven’t thought about it nor am I knowledgeable enough to weigh in on the possibilities but looking back at it the player that they get will make a tremendous difference in this defense one way or another.  I expect the replacement will be a veteran. Our draft picks will be used as compliments or as future starters at other positions. The Bills need someone that can step right into the position that you’re speaking of. There is going to be some interesting changes and wrinkles coming up this season, I can hardly wait to see what happens. Go Bills!