The plan to replace Lorenzo Alexander?

warrior9

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Yeah not sure what my phone posted there. Meant to say So McD overdrafts DEs. Only two DEs with first round grades Are Young and Esperanza. The rest are bumper because of lack of talent at the position. Don’t overdraft. 

I don’t know if those guys are first round talents or not.  I’m just talking about what I think the Bills will do if they are available.  I think Chaisson is in play as a Lorenzo replacement.

Just now, mannc said:

I don’t know if those guys are first round talents or not.  I’m just talking about what I think the Bills will do if they are available.  I think Chaisson is in play as a Lorenzo replacement.

I don’t think Value oriented Beane will overdraft in a position that isn’t on the field all the time. We were in nickel a TON this season meaning Alexander was on the Bench. 

Get an AJ Klein at LBer and solved. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

He's not a free agent until 2022, didn't have a great year, will be 30, has had concussions, etc... pass.

I am aware he's not a FA.  We should trade for him.  Carolina will listen to interesting offers.  He still has some game left and would be the veteran in the LB crew 

45 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah not sure what my phone posted there. Meant to say So McD overdrafts DEs. Only two DEs with first round grades Are Young and Esperanza. The rest are bumper because of lack of talent at the position. Don’t overdraft. 

He over drafts DEs? Didnt we only draft Johnson in the 6th round? What other DE has he drafted?

35 minutes ago, The Tomcat said:

I am aware he's not a FA.  We should trade for him.  Carolina will listen to interesting offers.  He still has some game left and would be the veteran in the LB crew 

But why give up assets to get a 30 year old player with a 10 mill cap hit? I mean, if this year is any indication, he's definitely on the downside of his career now.

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

He over drafts DEs? Didnt we only draft Johnson in the 6th round? What other DE has he drafted?

But why give up assets to get a 30 year old player with a 10 mill cap hit? I mean, if this year is any indication, he's definitely on the downside of his career now.

would be taking prospects a round too high be overdrafting?  You are missing the point here. There are two DEs that have first round grades IMO. That’s it. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

would be taking prospects a round too high be overdrafting?  You are missing the point here. There are two DEs that have first round grades IMO. That’s it. 

I guess I'm asking if you're saying McD overdrafts DE's or if you're asking if he should. I'm not sure there is evidence to suggest he's ever over drafted a DE.

7 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I guess I'm asking if you're saying McD overdrafts DE's or if you're asking if he should. I'm not sure there is evidence to suggest he's ever over drafted a DE.

Follow the conversation. I mentioned the over drafting to two specific players that are not graded IMO as first round talents. 

and are being artificially propped up by a weak DE class at the top. 

Edited by MAJBobby

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Follow the conversation. I mentioned the over drafting to two specific players that are not graded IMO as first round talents. 

and are being artificially propped up by a weak DE class at the top. 

Gotcha, gotcha. I was trying to follow it but didn't really make sense to me at first. Now it does. I got you, my guy.

Edited by warrior9

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

Gotcha, gotcha. I was trying to follow it but didn't really make sense to me at first. Now it does. I got you, my guy.

no prob. 

now if you trade back (get extra picks) then take one that would make up for the overdraft a bit because of the extra pick(s) acquired in the trade back. 

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Lorenzo offered great flexiblity because he played two different positions, but he is super low on the list of positions that need players.  

He played infrequently as a strong side linebackers. The Bills were more often than not in their nickle package, which makes sense given how much 11 personnel teams run. We of course need a strong side guy, but that player will not get more than 25% of snaps.  I wouldn't invest high priced assets in finding that player. 

The rest of Lorenzo's time on the field was as a pass rusher. We of course need pass rushers, but that is nothing new. I think everyone here already new we needed a new edge rusher. 

Milano actually played alot of strong side LBr this year and moved over to weakside in nickel

Zo was weakside a bunch in base

6 hours ago, warrior9 said:

In this defense, McDermott/Frazier used Lorenzo is a lot of different packages. 1st and 2nd down when on the field he played a pretty standard 4-3 LB. 

Where it gets interesting is on third down, he played the 3 tech (standing up) and would rush off the edge. He's 6'1 245ish so he is a pretty big body. I think his athleticism is ~ avg for an NFL LB.

Do they (or you) think that Vosean Joseph is this guy? He is 6'1 230 or so (now has had a full year to train so may be more now), hes super athletic, and has awesome instincts but i'm unfamiliar with his coverage ability.  I hate that we couldn't really see him play this year. In an ideal world, he is the guy. An LB corp with Edmunds, Milano, and Joseph would be an insanely athletic and fast group.

What do you think they do to replace him and/or what you like them to do to replace him? 

Trade for Kuechly and slide Tremaine over

47 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Trade for Kuechly and slide Tremaine over

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Best MLB to ever play... people didn't talk about Ray Lewis like this. Way everybody talks Kuechly should be had for a 7th conditional then right?

Forgot to add... we don't lose our game with Kuechly in charge... our young guys need somebody to make sure mistakes are limited, he's that guy. We win the Super Bowl with Kuechly QBing our D

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Haha (+1) 1

In a perfect world they move Edmunds to Lorax's spot and they put Joseph in the middle. I'm still not sold on Edmunds as a middle linebacker. He's tall and lanky, so he has trouble getting leverage on backs. Too many times I see him hanging off the back of the RB as he leaves the hole because Edmunds can't get his pads low enough. However, I think with his speed and the addition of 10 pounds he could be an absolute monster on the outside. He's very good in coverage (when it isn't zone) and has proven disruptive when getting after the QB.

6 hours ago, CountryCletus said:

I would sign Cory Littleton from the Rams as a UFA... he’s a stud MLB, and then slide Edmunds outside.  I think we need improvement over Milano as well- he would be a good rotational LB, but every down player, he is not

I concur with your thought of moving Edmunds outside.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

no prob. 

now if you trade back (get extra picks) then take one that would make up for the overdraft a bit because of the extra pick(s) acquired in the trade back. 

No trade backs, we need elite talent and true playmakers on offense and a playmaking DE. Jesus bring up trade backs and the plebs on this board will start thinking that is the correct move - we aren't the Phins or Jets trying to fillout an NFL roster

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t sink a ton of money or a high pick into another LB when you already have Milano and Edmunds. I think you can replace that 3rd LB with a cheap vet or vosean. Then focus on the pass rush piece. 

They might if they can use the guy as a DE on third downs. I really wouldn’t be surprised if they made a play for Judon or Dupree for that reason. Realistically, if they go the FA route I expect someone like Kyler Fackrell though. He offers a similar skill set to Alexander in a similar price bracket.

Edited by Buffalo Junction
Correcting autocorrect

7 hours ago, Magox said:

I think they do look for that "jackknife" sort of player who can stop the run, drop back in coverage and rush the passer.  I was hoping for Matthew Judon from the Ravens but he will probably be franchise tagged.

Bud Dupree is a guy I like if Pittsburgh doesn’t re-sign him. Can play DE and LB, good for 8-10 sacks and 80 tackles.

• Like (+1) 2