The plan to replace Lorenzo Alexander?

warrior9

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

No trade backs, we need elite talent and true playmakers on offense and a playmaking DE. Jesus bring up trade backs and the plebs on this board will start thinking that is the correct move - we aren't the Phins or Jets trying to fillout an NFL roster

I get that. But I look at value. So was trying to show the guys that want to draft a DE that the value isn’t there 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

now if all the offensive weapons are gone I would like a trade back and get value 

You sure don't want to overdraft, but I think we would move up a small bit to make sure we got who we wanted, more so than sliding back.

8 hours ago, CountryCletus said:

I would sign Cory Littleton from the Rams as a UFA... he’s a stud MLB, and then slide Edmunds outside.  I think we need improvement over Milano as well- he would be a good rotational LB, but every down player, he is not

I agree...get a real MLB and move Edmonds to Milano’s spot...

15 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Best MLB to ever play... people didn't talk about Ray Lewis like this. Way everybody talks Kuechly should be had for a 7th conditional then right?

Forgot to add... we don't lose our game with Kuechly in charge... our young guys need somebody to make sure mistakes are limited, he's that guy. We win the Super Bowl with Kuechly QBing our D

Never said anything about him for a 7th. I just don't want him at his age, salary, and type of injury history.

It's pretty bold to suggest win a SB with him in charge. He doesn't make Siran Neal / Milano make that sack, he doesn't make poyer not get carried 10 yards into the endzone, he doesn't make our coach not play prevent on 3rd and 18, and he doesn't make our offense score more than 20 points. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Never said anything about him for a 7th. I just don't want him at his age, salary, and type of injury history.

It's pretty bold to suggest win a SB with him in charge. He doesn't make Siran Neal / Milano make that sack, he doesn't make poyer not get carried 10 yards into the endzone, he doesn't make our coach not play prevent on 3rd and 18, and he doesn't make our offense score more than 20 points. 

I just mean if he's so old and expensive and not a game changer he should come in a trade cheap.

He would've not let that nonsense happen on the 3rd and 18... he would've let the young ones know not to do so and even if they still did he would've made the tackle himself. Also he doesn't let the big runs happen or let Watson get away from that sack afterwards.

SAM's are not on the field as much with the game flexing toward passing and I'd think Buffalo would look to someone from within or a moderate UFA at most to replace him. 

For example, Lorax's snap count amounted to less than 50% in 11 of 16 games that mattered this season (everything minus the finale).  After the Washington game, he largely hovered in the 30-50% range for snap counts. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlexLo99.htm

In terms of leadership, I would expect by now that certain players can fill the void in the locker room after his retirement.

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

SAM's are not on the field as much with the game flexing toward passing and I'd think Buffalo would look to someone from within or a moderate UFA at most to replace him. 

For example, Lorax's snap count amounted to less than 50% in 11 of 16 games that mattered this season (everything minus the finale).  After the Washington game, he largely hovered in the 30-50% range for snap counts. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlexLo99.htm

In terms of leadership, I would expect by now that certain players can fill the void in the locker room after his retirement.

Maybe Jamie Collins is a perfect fit? I'm big on the idea of signing guys that make us better while subtracting from NE. That's been a clear Belichick strategy for almost 2 decades now. 

On 1/8/2020 at 11:16 PM, warrior9 said:

Do they (or you) think that Vosean Joseph is this guy? He is 6'1 230 or so (now has had a full year to train so may be more now), hes super athletic, and has awesome instincts but i'm unfamiliar with his coverage ability.  I hate that we couldn't really see him play this year. In an ideal world, he is the guy. An LB corp with Edmunds, Milano, and Joseph would be an insanely athletic and fast group.

What do you think they do to replace him and/or what you like them to do to replace him? 

I think it's really overstating it to say he has awesome instincts. He overran plays and hit the wrong hole an awful lot. He's got a lot of upside but it isn't a sure thing he's got the instincts to play LB at the NFL level.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:18 AM, Magox said:

I think they do look for that "jackknife" sort of player who can stop the run, drop back in coverage and rush the passer.  I was hoping for Matthew Judon from the Ravens but he will probably be franchise tagged.

I'd hope for Judon as well, he's a beast and all over the field.   I'd also take Bud Dupree from Pittsburgh.   He'd be a solid addition who's improved year to year and has shown great ability to rush the passer as well as stuffing the run. 

Edited by TwistofFate
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2020 at 6:43 AM, RyanC883 said:

I think Joseph will be the guy.  I was pumped when we drafted him.  That said, I imagine we bring in a FA or another pick as competition.  Hopefully Lorax will be back in a coaching capacity and able to help Joseph the way Williams helped Oliver. 

If Joseph heals well, he fast as hell. His highlight reel is impressive. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I really hope they move Edmunds outside.  He would be a force with his frame and freak athleticism.

I just don't see that happening. McDermott probably sees him as his Luke from Carolina. I'm not sure how his skills would translate to being an OLB but I don't think we'll ever know. At worst, I think we see them moving him around a lot next year with the absence of lorax.

Isaiah Simmons from Clemson seems like the prototypical McDermott linebacker from his time at Carolina.

Tall, freakishly athletic, and raw. 

McDermott probably looks at him and sees what could be his version of Thomas Davis in Buffalo. 

Unlikely he falls to us, but I imagine he's a player McDermott will really like.