Tom brady not retiring according to himself

Steptide

12 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

Brady was already a shell of himself this year. We saw how that goes, Pats just arent that good with him at QB offensively. Didn't translate to wins for us against you guys for a few reasons. But I wont mind if he's playing for the Pats again next season, which I fully expect. He will never be the reason you guys beat us again, I am confident of that. 

I wish I was as confident as you. Brady certainly has gone downhill but a lot of the offense's problems weren't on him, IMO.

5 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Manning was garbage that year with the Broncos winning in spite of him. So yes I'll wish Brady likewise brings his team down a notch.

And Brady won an MVP in 2018 lol.. we're talking Manning 2015 and Brady 2020, they're not magically getting better. What about 2013.

Just not true. Peyton had three game-winning drives and three 4th quarter comebacks that year. In nine games, seven of which were wins.

Yeah, the defense was the main reason that team was good, and yeah, his arm wasn't close to what it had been.

But they don't win that title without him there, they just don't. He rode his smarts, game sense and he maximized what physical gifts he still had.  Compare his winning percentage with Osweiler's the same year and his point scored as well, and Osweiler played a significantly easier group of games than Peyton did.

Again, they don't win that Super Bowl without him.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Be careful what you wish for.. Manning was a shell of his former self his last year... the Broncos still won the SB.  Just because someone has lost a step doesn’t mean when healthy he still isn’t better than most others in the game.

Little off topic, but do you think you're going to bring back all 3 LBs, weapons for Brady, and Brady? I'm interested in poaching any of the linebackers lol.

15 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Interesting read. 

Kraft definitely wants Brady back, and if now he wants him to retire. 

I thought Brady wanted to come back after reading this quote -

As I stated in another thread .. [Brady's Fate in the hands of ... ] 

Kraft wants Brady to return to NE or retire. 

Belicheat says its "a group decision" and not his alone to make. 

If Brady is still as good as ever, how come Belichick switched up to a power running offense late last season when they still had Gronk and Edelman was healthy, and when he was a year younger than he is now? They were struggling then too, but rode the defense and run game to a Super Bowl win by a score of 13-3 in a game that was 3-0 to start the 4th quarter. 

The struggles continued this year and only got worse as the season wore on, which is predictable. 42 year old players suffer more from nagging injuries than they did when they were young. 43 year old players moreso. 

And Brady flat out missed throws all season. He's started to throw more pick 6's due to a lack of the same accuracy and arm strength. 2 weeks in a row at home with a pick 6, and should have been 2 on Saturday. He threw an easy pick 6 that Logan Ryan flat out dropped before halftime on Saturday. Ryan later got another one once the game was basically over anyway. 

I was a little shocked at how Romo said Brady's deep pass to (I think Harry) that was about 3 yards behind  both the WR and DB and pretty much out of bounds anyway was a "great throw" that showed he still had the arm strength. I'm seeing Brady flat out miss guys he used to hit.

Now, that said, Brady can still make some nice throws and have some very good games. But the consistency is not there, as is to be expected with an older QB. That will not improve, nor will the hits hurt less next season. 

If he comes back it will not go well (by their standards), so I hope it happens with NE and they lose some defensive players to free agency as a result. 

I could see Brady coming back to NE, them signing some offensive players, and them going 9-7 or 10-6 with Brady looking like the 12-15th best QB in the league.

They could win some games, but they won't scare anyone anymore. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Little off topic, but do you think you're going to bring back all 3 LBs, weapons for Brady, and Brady? I'm interested in poaching any of the linebackers lol.

No, I think Van Noy comes back but will have to be paid but Collins is gone he is a pure mercenary player he came back just to raise his stock again. (Buyer beware)

weapons for Brady? They need to TRADE for a reliable TE and perhaps sign Sanders in FA.

I think Brady comes back but they draft his replacement this year... I see Tua (in the mocks) falling to after then so I say they pick him up and let him heal and watch behind Brady.

He will be back but without McDaniels. Given belichick‘s disdain for hiring from the outside, who will be coordinating the offense and calling the plays? Chad O’Shea who just got fired from the Dolphins? Could go with Kevin O’Connell who was not retained by Rivera, but word is he is headed to Cleveland with McDaniels 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm a little surprised he still wants to play. Maybe just me but seeing him come off the field after the Titans game he looked broken. Don't think to have ever seen that before. Usually after a loss he looks angry or sports a disgruntled poor loser face.  

Contrary to what he says I don't think he has anything more to prove. Unless of course he's dreaming of becoming the difference maker on an otherwise talented O lacking a good QB and wins another Super Bowl. Then he can tell the naysayers what for. I'd love for him to go to Cleveland for no other reason than to see Baker wearing a suicide vest as he rides the pine and watch the Browns likely comically implode yet again.

My guess is that if NE commits to finding him some playmakers he will back down on his decision to not give the hometown discount and will remain with the team. With that defence and better talent on offence, a Pats team with Brady under centre would still be pretty good. If the Pats don't cooperate, his refusal to take the discount allows him to drive a harder bargain with a FA suitor.

I think Tom's pretty much done and should retire before he embarrasses himself. Right now he's a good mid-level starting QB and really nothing more. And most of that comes from his experience and knowledge of the (only) offence he can reasonably be expected to operate. Truth is the guy is diminished in terms of his  physical skills. He has always been limited in terms of schemes he's capable of executing. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Looks like 2019 Aaron Rodgers actually.

Anyway, where else but NE would he go?  What would be the point?  His best chance to "go out on top" is where he is.  

Yeah I figure he stays. Makes sense to both sides. Only snag is maybe the bigger contract he claims he's asking for. But he has the Patriots by the balls so I don't see him leaving

35 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Yeah I figure he stays. Makes sense to both sides. Only snag is maybe the bigger contract he claims he's asking for. But he has the Patriots by the balls so I don't see him leaving

In the NFL, it's only about payment for past performance.

3 SB's, 2 SB wins in the past 4 years (at a discount)--that should be pretty much worth whatever amount Brady can write on a piece of paper for the next 2 years.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

In the NFL, it's only about payment for past performance.

3 SB's, 2 SB wins in the past 4 years (at a discount)--that should be pretty much worth whatever amount Brady can write on a piece of paper for the next 2 years.

Agreed! Also his demise is being way overblown (IMO) when he had a clean pocket (per PFF NEPatriots) he had a 96.5 passer rating on passes 20+ yards down the field.. only Watson had a better number at 96.9.. he also led the league in throw aways with 40 and 5th in drop passes with 23.  So while yes he declined a bit it was more on an injured O line and not having any really good skill WR. 

Whenever the time comes it will be nice not having to face him twice a year.  I think he wants to play until he's 45 to prove the TB12 system works.  It would be fun to see Tom Brady and Phillip Rivers switch teams.

I think that he is still great, and as the GOAT should be paid top QB $$ by NE for the next 3 seasons.

Anything less than a 3 year, $100 million contract from NE is a slap in the face! If Mahomes is getting 40 million per season, Brady needs at LEAST 30. 

I hope Kraft goes to $35 as a bit of a "financial apology"

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/8/2020 at 4:13 PM, PatsFanNH said:

Also take into consideration the Pats were:

5th in dropped passes with 23 (unheard of for them)

Brady led the league in throw aways at 40.

while yes he declined his stats suffered a lot from this.. they get more sure handed receivers who can get open he be fine.. and I am all for staying with a good power running game.

Properly inflated footballs are more difficult to catch on cold days

20 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Just not true. Peyton had three game-winning drives and three 4th quarter comebacks that year. In nine games, seven of which were wins.

Yeah, the defense was the main reason that team was good, and yeah, his arm wasn't close to what it had been.

But they don't win that title without him there, they just don't. He rode his smarts, game sense and he maximized what physical gifts he still had.  Compare his winning percentage with Osweiler's the same year and his point scored as well, and Osweiler played a significantly easier group of games than Peyton did.

Again, they don't win that Super Bowl without him.

Peyton multiple times caused defenders to jump off-sides with his voice alone.   

It has become commonplace to dismiss what he did in the Superbowl year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, stuvian said:

As much as I hate all things New England, he seems to want to prove himself outside of the Patriots shadow. As a man, I respect that

A) He hasn’t done it yet, so reserve your respect until warranted 

B) Unless he goes somewhere with a top 5 Offensive Line, he will likely fail at proving anything other than he’s getting old. 

• 3 weeks later...