Way too early 2020 season expectations

Jasovon

I was talking about the schedule being brutal so long ago, I've moved past that and started to warm to the idea that the schedule is going to be easier than we think!

Lol!

Starting with the division contests:

• Miami looks to be a tough out next year, and they almost stole one from us this year. A split wouldn't be crazy. That''s 1 win
  • The Jets are a pushover. I would expect a sweep there. Darnold isn't good. We contained him on the road, and our backups handled him at home. Allen wins that game (if it was meaningful) 10/10 times. That's 2 wins.
  • I want to say we'll go 2-0 vs the Pats, but let's be realistic and say a split. If Brady leaves, it's good for us. If he stays, it's good for us. We could have beaten them both games. McDermott has had good efforts against that team. I know "moral" victories are a touchy subject here, but the Bills are absolutely a threat to New England, so let's say a split here.

However you choose to parse it out, 4-2 in the division seems well within reason. Now, looking at the AFC West:

• The Broncos (worse than us) had absolutely no life against us, their QB situation is bad, they (seemingly, apparently) hate playing for their coach, who they're keeping. This seems like a win, although it's in Mile High--not an easy road game.
  • The Raiders were worse than us too, by a few games. Seems like an easy win, and it should be in Buffalo.
  • The Chargers were terrible, they have an old qb, and are regressing.
  • The Chiefs are the Chiefs, they're great. I'd be surprised if we beat them, but the game should be in Buffalo too (I think.

So looking at this division, 3 wins seems possible, but maybe 2 is realistic. Intraconference games next:

• The Titans are great, they look fantastic this year. Hard to see how we stop Henry, and Tanny is balling out. Maybe a loss. But maybe a win. They're not this years ravens, where they're absolutely dominating opponents week in and week out. Should be a 50-50 game.
  • The Steelers are the opposite of that. Their QB play is less than settled. Even if Big Ben comes back, they don't scare me. They're a 50-50 game vs. us.

Intraconference wins has us somewhere around 8 to 9 wins, turning to the NFC portion of the schedule.

• The Rams are a team in decline, too much money tied up in guys that aren't trending in the right direction. Should be a win.
  • The Cardinals were worse than us. If we're just going to assume they get better because their QB improves, I'm going to make the same assumption about us. Should be another win.
  • The Hawks don't scare me. There's nothing they do better than any other team, they're just the NFC version of us, well rounded, well coached, 11 win squad. This is a 50/50 game.
  • 49ers. The hardest game on the schedule. Should be a loss. Hope it's on the east coast. Likely will be in primetime. Gonna be a blast to watch.

So NFC looks like anywhere from 2-2 to 3-1.

Taking it all into account: If things go as bad as possible, it's a 9 win season.

If the bounces go in our favor, it's an 11 win season.

I think 11 wins gets the division, I think 9 gets a wild card again.

If someone put a gun to my head and made me guess, I would reckon we'll get the 4 seed and host a wild card game. I think Buf, Ten, Bal, KC win divisions, and wild cards are fought for between New England, Houston and Jax. 

BUT... let's get through free agency and revisit this. Then the draft. Then the schedule release. Then OTAs. Then Training camp. Then the preseason. Then roster cuts.

Josh Allen is 15-10 in games he starts and finishes, McD has us in the playoffs 2/3 years here, and we started more rookies than most teams last year--in a winning season! The roster is loaded with young talent, theirs cap space, and very little money tied up in bad contracts. Tons of room to sign impact guys.

Would not surprise me in the least if this team went 14-2 next year and won the Super Bowl. I think (finally) it's OK to have modest to high expectations for this team. 

Very exciting time to be a fan.