Way too early 2020 season expectations

Jasovon

I went into 2019 expected 8 wins, we did better than that which was awesome. It's obviously far too early but I'm interested what people on here expect in 2020 from this team.

For me, I expect 10 wins next year. I hope for more, but i expect us to win 10.

• Like (+1) 3

I'll say 8-8...the team benefited from an easy schedule this year, and next year it seems to be tougher.  Not a big fan of the schedule game, but prior to the 2019 season we mostly thought that our schedule looked pretty easy, and it was...big help for us.

I also feel like the Jets and Miami will be better, so those are not borderline guaranteed wins, while the Patriots take a step back.  8-8 / 9-7 might win this division in 2020.

Josh Allen will continue to be a maniac and win some games in the 4th quarter and show to be electric at times, but look lost in other games.  He won't improve much from his 2019 season, and we will start questioning whether he really is "the guy" that can bring us a Super Bowl, not just get us to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Z-Mann said:

I'll say 8-8...the team benefited from an easy schedule this year, and next year it seems to be tougher.  Not a big fan of the schedule game, but prior to the 2019 season we mostly thought that our schedule looked pretty easy, and it was...big help for us.

I also feel like the Jets and Miami will be better, so those are not borderline guaranteed wins, while the Patriots take a step back.  8-8 / 9-7 might win this division in 2020.

Josh Allen will continue to be a maniac and win some games in the 4th quarter and show to be electric at times, but look lost in other games.  He won't improve much from his 2019 season, and we will start questioning whether he really is "the guy" that can bring us a Super Bowl, not just get us to the playoffs.

I agree the sched made 10-6 possible this year but the team is just getting started.  We add a legit #1 receiver and some other pieces and we are rolling.  Also JA does continue to develop, and if his strides are half as long coming into 2020 as they were between 2018 and 2019, he will be the QB we have been waiting for.  I think we go 10-6 or better next year even with the schedule, conference champs and we should win a playoff game or two.  Not Superbowl caliber yet but look at where this team was in 2017 and think where we may be in 2021.

Edited by JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS
typo
  • Like (+1) 3

i'd like to see 10-11 wins against what looks to be a harder schedule on paper. 

- an improved offense all around. I think 12-16th in yds and points is realistic. I think this happens if Allen can just become a bit more efficient with his throws. the youngsters like singletary and knox keep improving and they find Allen somebody that is at least serviceable at grabbing those "area code" balls. it seems every other good qb has that luxury. our guy needs it as well.

- defense might regress a smidge but hopefully finds a pass rush

-win no less than one playoff game. preferably one that we are hosting due to a division title or bye.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree with a number of the comments here regarding Allen. If Allen develops and takes even a small step (fewer fumbles, better long downfield ball) forward  then I think the Bills will finish 10-6 and again make the playoffs (division winner or wild card I am not sure).

On the other hand if Allen is still erratic from quarter to quarter the Bills will slip to 7-9 maybe 8-8 and the Bills will be looking again for a QB in the 2021 draft.

22 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I agree the sched made 10-6 possible this year but the team is just getting started.  We add a legit #1 receiver and some other pieces and we are rolling.  Also JA does continue to develop, and if his strides are half as long coming into 2020 as they were between 2018 and 2019, he will be the QB we have been waiting for.  I think we go 10-6 or better next year even with the schedule, conference champs and we should win a playoff game or two.  Not Superbowl caliber yet but look at where this team was in 2017 and think where we may be in 2021.

Yea man, you're not wrong and all reasonable things to say.  Hard for anyone to argue that he didn't improve in year 2.  Among some other things, I still worry about his completion %, and how he still could not crack 60%.  I would be more "ok" with that if he passed the ball like we thought he would at the beginning of the season...namely lots of long bombs and big throws.  Totally understandable how a QB may have a lower CP playing like that...but a huge majority of his throws were short and intermediate.  *If* that continues to be the case, he really needs to make another big jump into year 3 and get closer to that 70% mark.  Huge win for him and fans if he can pull that off.

• Like (+1) 1

If we can secure a larger WR it would allow for Josh’s advancement to continue, Singletary to push forward and Brown, Beasley and Knox/Kroft to win more battles. 

In addition, if we get a significantly improved EDGE, our D should take the next step. 

Of course there are other parts needed (improved OL, Zo replacement, CB, etc.) but the first two, if done, will help use get to 10-11 wins and win the AFCE. 

I trust Beane to complete, at least, a large part of this. 

• Like (+1) 2

The goal will always be to win the SB. My expectations/hopes in order of importance:

1) Josh improves to the point that I'm convinced he's the long term answer

2) Win the division

3) Win a playoff game

4) Hoist the Lombardi

If you gave me any of these I'd probably consider it a positive step forward, but I think 2, 3 and 4 are predicated on 1.

There is no reason to expect a backslide -- not with Josh having another offseason under his belt and a majority of key starters returning.  Add in all of the draft picks and ability to do some things because of cap health, and the Bills should be a markedly better team next season.

I thought 10 wins was possible this year and that proved to be true.  We don't really know how our opponents will shape up as things change from year to year but I won't back down from 10 wins again.  I believe the division title is certainly in play, as is a first round playoff bye and the first home playoff game in Buffalo in a LONG time.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, teef said:

they should be legitimately be contending for the division title and a playoff spot/win.  not to make the playoffs again would be a major disappointment. 

i'll take that a step further and say that even just making it without at least a win would be pretty close to a major disappointment

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Z-Mann said:

So, you are confident that the Jets and Dolphins will improve; however, the Bills and Allen won't? 

• Like (+1) 1

It's tough to not be optimistic about next year. 

I'll go for 10 wins, even with the more difficult schedule. 

We're not losing any big pieces (unless Phillips walks), have a ton of cap space, and can add through the draft. If Josh can take another step forward we should be a legitimate playoff threat. Even if he settles in to just be a game manager we could still get to 10 wins next year. 

17 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'll take that a step further and say that even just making it without at least a win would be pretty close to a major disappointment

agree.  i expect/hope this team to be a more competitive version of who they were in 2019.

17 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

So, you are confident that the Jets and Dolphins will improve; however, the Bills and Allen won't? 

this seems to be the narrative for a few posters around here.  everyone gets better, but the bills stay the same or become worse.

• Like (+1) 1