Multiple Needs Fixed in One Shot: Pursue Taysom Hill

MrEpsYtown

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

He’s a guy I’m very interested in seeing Buffalo draft. In an offense that needs playmakers, he’s a chess piece. A guy that defenses have to pay attention to, thereby letting your ancillary guys like Beasley and Knox chew up 1-on-1 opportunities.

Get a WR1 in FA, another solid RB in FA, a dynamic WR in round 1, and Bowden in round 3 and the offense will be much scarier.

That bowl game he just played was incredible. Bowden is a guy I would love. 

I know it’s a long shot that he’d leave but I really like Larry Fitzgerald as a short term option. He is still productive and would fit a need perfectly. You also have to draft one in round one. Lamb would be my favorite but he and Jeudy won’t be there. Ruggs would be dynamic. I like Shenault as well. Higgins isn’t a round 1 guy IMO. 

As for the RB, I threw out trading for Kamara in another thread. It’s probably a 2nd, pick swap and maybe a late round pick. He’d add some much needed explosiveness and the Saints aren’t going to pay him. They don’t have a 2nd either so it makes some sense. If they did that I’d draft a big back late (Dillon maybe) and roll with that group. If Kamara is a pipe dream I’d probably try to get Edwards-Helaire if he comes out. The Bills need a back to play in space IMO. Jalen Richard would be a cheap FA option that would fill a need (although he’s coming off a bad year). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am interested to see what New Orleans does with zero quarterbacks currently signed, minimal cap space, and 5 draft picks. I just think if you gave this guy a ridiculously front loaded offer like the Charles Clay move a few years ago, or even the contract that they gave to Mitch Morse last year, the Saints would have trouble matching the deal. Ofcourse they have the right to match any offer sheet, but unless they give him the exclusive franchise tag (which I doubt they will), he's going to be able to shop around. And as  soon to be 30 year old player, this may be his only chance at a pay day. Hill is an RFA, not an ERFA, so anything can happen in my opinion. I'm guessing they try to extend him before free agency, but if I were him, I'd want to see what I am worth. I'd also probably look around to see if anyone was willing to commit to me as a starting quarterback. Hill is an interesting case. But with with 90 million in cap we can attempt to make moves like this. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think Hill is an upgrade at QB for them over Brees.

I don't see any reason he can't do pretty much all of the same things for them that Josh Allen does for us.

In the pantheon of crazy QB posts, this one is an all-time doozy.

Taysom Hill is an upgrade over Drew Brees, and can do all of the same things as Josh Allen. I have definitely read it all.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Taysom Hill is an upgrade over Drew Brees, and can do all of the same things as Josh Allen. I have definitely read it all.

I think Brees is on his way out. When faced with pressure he doesn't have the arm or mobility to succeed anymore.

I also don't think very highly of Josh Allen. I think their skill sets are fairly similar. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

I think Brees is on his way out. When faced with pressure he doesn't have the arm or mobility to succeed anymore.

I also don't think very highly of Josh Allen. I think their skill sets are fairly similar. 

The guy that just threw for 3,000 yards in 11 games, went for 74% completion rate, with 27 TDs and 4 INTs is on his way out to the point where a gadget player with 13 career attempts with 6 completions, 0 TDs and an INT is an upgrade? ? 

I knew you were out to lunch, but this is a whole new level of don’t-know-?-ism that I cannot fathom.

But reality says that you really just wanted to use this as an excuse to talk ?about Allen. And no, there’s literally nothing to make a sane person think that Hill is an upgrade at QB from Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yup. That one is special. 
I will say that in light of Baltimore’s success, I wouldn’t put it past some team to give Hill a big contract with the expectation of having him start at QB. That team isn’t the Saints. But the Jags? Titans if they don’t re-sign Tanny? Dolphins? Bucs? Even Steelers (they did this once before with Kordell)? It would be fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am interested to see what New Orleans does with zero quarterbacks currently signed, minimal cap space, and 5 draft picks. I just think if you gave this guy a ridiculously front loaded offer like the Charles Clay move a few years ago, or even the contract that they gave to Mitch Morse last year, the Saints would have trouble matching the deal. Ofcourse they have the right to match any offer sheet, but unless they give him the exclusive franchise tag (which I doubt they will), he's going to be able to shop around. And as  soon to be 30 year old player, this may be his only chance at a pay day. Hill is an RFA, not an ERFA, so anything can happen in my opinion. I'm guessing they try to extend him before free agency, but if I were him, I'd want to see what I am worth. I'd also probably look around to see if anyone was willing to commit to me as a starting quarterback. Hill is an interesting case. But with with 90 million in cap we can attempt to make moves like this. 

He'd be crazy to sign with another team. He's beloved there and has a clear shot to replace Brees when he retires.

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Is a guy like Hill that hard to find you would give up draft picks? He wasn't drafted out of college. Do you want to use one of your 46 on a jack of all trades master on none? I think Hill works well in the NO system. I doubt he would have similar success with the Bills.

That the Bills can get him or not, that's one issue. Even if MrEpsYtown makes sense in the OP as to how and why it could done instead of just dreamy fan wishes, it's unlikely to happen. But if it could, damn right he is worth a 2nd round draft pick! I can't believe how so many people such a high perceived value on picks. Most draftees do not make the team or do so for a few years in a minor role and are out of the league. If you can get a PROVEN player with one, it sure is worth it.

Beane actually got some players this year that did prove they could play in the NFL, and some were backups on other teams and fared fairly well as starters here. That's the way I see it too. Draft picks are valuable, but not to the point of being worth more than players that proved they can play!

Edit: think of undrafted players that made it big. Or let's say how well Milano has done for a 5th rounder., Tom Brady being picked 199th overall... all these guys are worth more than their draft picks. While tons of guys have underperformed and are out of the league, including 1st rounders. 

Edited by Jerome007

31 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

That the Bills can get him or not, that's one issue. Even if MrEpsYtown makes sense in the OP as to how and why it could done instead of just dreamy fan wishes, it's unlikely to happen. But if it could, damn right he is worth a 2nd round draft pick! I can't believe how so many people such a high perceived value on picks. Most draftees do not make the team or do so for a few years in a minor role and are out of the league. If you can get a PROVEN player with one, it sure is worth it.

Beane actually got some players this year that did prove they could play in the NFL, and some were backups on other teams and fared fairly well as starters here. That's the way I see it too. Draft picks are valuable, but not to the point of being worth more than players that proved they can play!

Edit: think of undrafted players that made it big. Or let's say how well Milano has done for a 5th rounder., Tom Brady being picked 199th overall... all these guys are worth more than their draft picks. While tons of guys have underperformed and are out of the league, including 1st rounders. 

Ok. The second part of that is the scheme. We expect the Bills offense to become New Orleans? Daboll to become Sean Peyton? 

31 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Ok. The second part of that is the scheme. We expect the Bills offense to become New Orleans? Daboll to become Sean Peyton? 

Not all of NO plays are that unique and only based on him. You design some plays for him but you don't have to change everything. As in the initial post points out, that dude can play on ST and in so many ways he fills some voids by himself. As Josh can run very well, and even catch balls ha ha. the dual threat would be something else! With a Singletarry that can become a receiver, there is bound to be some miss matches at one point. As usual in "gimmick plays", some don't work at all, some are amazing. But then again, a lot running plays are duds too.

Josh is super entertaining, if nothing else. Add Hill and... wow! But of course it's mostly wishful thinking at this point but the possibility is there, however slim.