Multiple Needs Fixed in One Shot: Pursue Taysom Hill

MrEpsYtown

• We need a dynamic receiver with size. 
  • We need a dynamic complimentary running back to Singletary.  
  • We need improvement in our special teams. 
  • We need a more dynamic athlete as a backup quarterback. 

Taysom Hill is the offensive weapon who could fill all of those roles in one shot. Brian Daboll showed some creativity towards the end of the season and having a guy like Hill could really open up this offense. Having Josh Allen and Hill on the field at the same time could create a really interesting dynamic and you could do some interesting RPO, zone read stuff. Hill also gives you a backup quarterback who can do things closer to what Josh can do. Now I don't know that Hill can truly be an every down player because he was injured a lot in college. But McDermott seems to have a philosophy of using his entire 46 man roster on game days, so a lot of guys cycle in and out.  

So how do you get him? The Saints are in a bit of a rough situation in terms of cap space. Both Brees and Bridgewater are free agents, as well as a number of key defensive players like AJ Klein, Eli Apple, David Oneymata etc. Hill is a RFA who I'm guessing they will tender at the second round level. I am willing to give up a late second for this guy. Now the Saints would have the chance to match, however, when teams are in the situation they are, that's when you can fleece them of RFA's. The Bills would simply heavily front load a deal. I think Hill will be looking to cash in as he is already 29 years old due to his Mormon mission and redshirts in college. A 4 year deal that is heavily frontloaded makes sense and I think the Saints would gladly accept the second rounder. The Saints only have 5 draft picks and have no second rounder. With 26 free agents on their roster, and very little cap space, something will have to give. The Bills could also try to work out a trade with NO like the Patriots did with the Dolphins back in the day for Wes Welker.  We have nine picks, aren't going to use all of them, and getting a guy like Hill really maximizes what you can do with your 53 man roster. Just my two cents. 

I'm all for an AJ Green or pursuing Amari Cooper, or even going after a guy with upside like Rashard Higgins, or even drafting a receiver at 22, but to me, a guy like Hill adds an interesting dynamic and fixes a lot in one signing. I'd actually go after Hill and Higgins, but that's just my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

i doubt it can happen, but signing him and cooper, and getting a big RB2 and some kind of RT (draft could be for these last two) would just make the O awesome.

the zone read flea flicker trick play potential of allen and hill in the back field would be a total nightmare!

• Haha (+1) 1

MrEPS, it’s not a bad idea if possible, but just listened to Sal on WGR and he made a good point.  Until this year each team can only either use the transition or franchise tag on one person.  This year the rul has changed you can transition tag one player, and franchise one player in the same year.

Sal pointed out which actually makes sense Dallas as an example could franchise Dak and transition Amari Cooper, but of course if we outbid for Cooper we could get him, but at a high price.  I just thought that was interesting and didn’t know until he brought it up.

• Like (+1) 1

Is a guy like Hill that hard to find you would give up draft picks? He wasn't drafted out of college. Do you want to use one of your 46 on a jack of all trades master of none? I think Hill works well in the NO system. I doubt he would have similar success with the Bills.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

They said something interesting during the Saints play off game. Apparently Sean Payton originally wanted Tim Tebow to come to the Saints and play the same role that Taysom Hill is playing now, but Tebow wanted  to be a QB only so didn’t sign. 

Too bad actually. Tebow is such a good athlete, he would have done really well in the Taysom Hill role.  I guess he underestimated the impact he could have...

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

They said something interesting during the Saints play off game. Apparently Sean Payton originally wanted Tim Tebow to come to the Saints and play the same role that Taysom Hill is playing now, but Tebow wanted  to be a QB only so didn’t sign. 

Too bad actually. Tebow is such a good athlete, he would have done really well in the Taysom Hill role.  I guess he underestimated the impact he could have...

The biggest difference is Taysom is a 4.4 guy and Tebow a 4.7 guy. I’m not convinced that Tebow could have ever played that role for that reason. With his size however he could have been an interesting FB/TE hybrid.

I’m really not trying to be that guy but there is ZERO chance Taysom isn’t in New Orleans next year. There is a WAY better chance that Kamara is on the move. 

For comparison sake Taysom being on a new team is about as likely as Tre White being on a new team even though he is a RFA.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:
  • We need a dynamic receiver with size. 
  • We need a dynamic complimentary running back to Singletary.  
  • We need improvement in our special teams. 
  • We need a more dynamic athlete as a backup quarterback. 

Taysom Hill is the offensive weapon who could fill all of those roles in one shot. Brian Daboll showed some creativity towards the end of the season and having a guy like Hill could really open up this offense. Having Josh Allen and Hill on the field at the same time could create a really interesting dynamic and you could do some interesting RPO, zone read stuff. Hill also gives you a backup quarterback who can do things closer to what Josh can do. Now I don't know that Hill can truly be an every down player because he was injured a lot in college. But McDermott seems to have a philosophy of using his entire 46 man roster on game days, so a lot of guys cycle in and out.  

So how do you get him? The Saints are in a bit of a rough situation in terms of cap space. Both Brees and Bridgewater are free agents, as well as a number of key defensive players like AJ Klein, Eli Apple, David Oneymata etc. Hill is a RFA who I'm guessing they will tender at the second round level. I am willing to give up a late second for this guy. Now the Saints would have the chance to match, however, when teams are in the situation they are, that's when you can fleece them of RFA's. The Bills would simply heavily front load a deal. I think Hill will be looking to cash in as he is already 29 years old due to his Mormon mission and redshirts in college. A 4 year deal that is heavily frontloaded makes sense and I think the Saints would gladly accept the second rounder. The Saints only have 5 draft picks and have no second rounder. With 26 free agents on their roster, and very little cap space, something will have to give. The Bills could also try to work out a trade with NO like the Patriots did with the Dolphins back in the day for Wes Welker.  We have nine picks, aren't going to use all of them, and getting a guy like Hill really maximizes what you can do with your 53 man roster. Just my two cents. 

I'm all for an AJ Green or pursuing Amari Cooper, or even going after a guy with upside like Rashard Higgins, or even drafting a receiver at 22, but to me, a guy like Hill adds an interesting dynamic and fixes a lot in one signing. I'd actually go after Hill and Higgins, but that's just my opinion. 

We really need a legit strong tall possession receiver.

My hope is that 2019 will prove to be what 2018 was for OL: a place where Beane thought he'd done enough, learned definitively he had not done enough, and went shopping.

I don't want our offense to focus on more gadgets.  I want us to have the manpower to execute sound fundamentals at RB and WR.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The biggest difference is Taysom is a 4.4 guy and Tebow a 4.7 guy. I’m not convinced that Tebow could have ever played that role for that reason. With his size however he could have been an interesting FB/TE hybrid.

I’m really not trying to be that guy but there is ZERO chance Taysom isn’t in New Orleans next year. There is a WAY better chance that Kamara is on the move. 

For comparison sake Taysom being on a new team is about as likely as Tre White being on a new team even though he is a RFA.

Wow, I didn't realize Hill was that fast. One thing for sure, he is very fun to watch play.  Talk about a guy who puts it all on the line for his team...

And I agree with you, zero point zero zero chance the Saints would let him go. He is a true spark plug for that team.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We really need a legit strong tall possession receiver.

My hope is that 2019 will prove to be what 2018 was for OL: a place where Beane thought he'd done enough, learned definitively he had not done enough, and went shopping.

I don't want our offense to focus on more gadgets.  I want us to have the manpower to execute sound fundamentals at RB and WR.

I agree 100%. My current fixation is Justin Jefferson from LSU.  I am hoping for RB Najee Harris in round 3 as well. Those 2 would completely alter our Offense over-night.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That guy is going to make some team VERY happy. 

He’s a guy I’m very interested in seeing Buffalo draft. In an offense that needs playmakers, he’s a chess piece. A guy that defenses have to pay attention to, thereby letting your ancillary guys like Beasley and Knox chew up 1-on-1 opportunities.

Get a WR1 in FA, another solid RB in FA, a dynamic WR in round 1, and Bowden in round 3 and the offense will be much scarier.

• Like (+1) 4