QB free agency.

They pry are fine with Barkley because it’s the same regime that thought starting Peterman was a good idea.  Barkley (who couldn’t even make a roster) has a good game against the Jets and suddenly he’s the answer at backup despite being horrible as a starter previously.  

If Allen goes down we’re screwed like the Steelers were when Big Ben went down.  A wasted season despite an elite defense as the duck and the reindeer were terrible. 

Allen’s style of play makes the backup even more crucial.  I’d like them to make a hard push for Mariota who may have to come to grips with the fact that the best he can be is a high end backup at this point.  Dalton may be in that same position.  I’d also take Keemun ahead of Barkley.  Hell, bring in Kap for a workout to create a really fun offseason on here.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I feel like that would be a future qb controversy but I would take him.  He’s not close to as bad as he is made out to be. 

I think he would be a steady veteran presence and he's good enough to win you games. I think he's an adequate starter, actually.

I don't believe there will be a future qb controversy because I think Allen is better than you surmise and will be even better next year

with an added year of maturation and better playmakers on the team. Regardless, Dalton is an upgrade to Barkley and strengthens

the overall quality at the most important position on the team.

I don’t mind Barkley but there are so many revolving pieces this year regarding FA QB’s that deserve a quick look.

Likely available:

Manning- will Def want to start someplace though or just retire if he can’t compete

Mariota- probably going someplace he can compete to start

Dalton - will want out from Cincy, may be ok as a backup 

Bridgewater - while well liked in NO, I could see them moving away possibly because of Taysom Hill doing a little bit of everything

Likely staying put:

Brady - wants to pad those stats and Kraft likes his mouth kisses

Brees - Wants to keep Brady at bay statswise and looks a lot better then Tommy Boy. Deserves another shot if he wants it

Tannehill - especially if they advance any further in the playoffs

Winston - one more year to keep the offensive production up and hopefully reduce the turnovers.

Rivers - Re-sign or retire. Not uprooting his 100 kids to play anywhere else

Prescott- he signs in Dallas and gets way overpaid. If for whatever reason he goes anywhere else he goes as a starter for sure because of his garbage time stats.

Cut or Trade options:

Newton- missed a season and a new regime.

Carr- Maybe Gruden wants his own guy after a few years of Carr

Trubisky - couldn’t get it done in Chicago.

Flacco- likely wants out of the Broncos crap show

realistically there are 8 higher profile QBs who are possibly looking for a new home if you don’t count the likely candidates who stay put. There are higher quality options now more than ever. Now, most teams could use a solid backup or would entertain the thought, but what teams need it most? 

Bears- Absolutely. Whether to lead the way for a few years or hold the line while a new QBS gets drafted, they’re adding someone to relieve Trubisky ASAP.

Colts - I think they bring in competition for Brissett honestly. He’s not bad but there could be a possible upgrade / competition out there
Cincy- probably bring a Vet while acclimating their #1 draft pick.

Raiders- competition for Carr seems likely. They’ll have to beat Peterman though, so good luck with that lol

Redskins- Vet presence you compete, groom, or take pressure of Haskins. New regime.

Giants- need a new backup with Manning gone

Likely to draft one:

Cincy

Pats

Miami

Chargers

Chicago(?)

NO(?)

Here’s my predictions:

1. Everyone in my “Staying Put” category is back for at least one more year and won’t see a major change at this time

2. Mariota goes to Chicago and starts

3. Manning decides to retire

4. Bridgewater to Washington- competes and maybe starts

5. Dalton may come here to Buffalo, as he is a folk hero lol. Could also go to the Giants

6. Newton gets cut or possibly traded. Ends up in Indy or Vegas

7. Flacco to Cincy for 2 years to train up the LSU QB when he is drafted.

8. Trubisky goes someplace as a backup... maybe Tennessee since they lose Mariota or the loser between Indy/Vegas for Newton.

9. Chargers draft a QB of the future, Tyrod stays QB2 behind Rivers

10. Miami tanked, gets Tua. He sits behind Fitz for a year

11. Chicago drafts a QB but either day 2 or trades up for one

12. New Orleans May start planning for the future, but I don’t know if they draft one this year. Likely would be able to attract a high profile QB FA next year when Brees hangs them up after the 2020 season.

13. NE drafts a day 2 QB that Tommy instantly hates and probably tries to kiss on the mouth

*WHEW* I think I covered everyone... 

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/8/2020 at 6:38 AM, Buffalo86 said:

I wouldn't consider Keenum's profile to be anywhere near as high as Winston's.  If the presence of a competent journeyman backup is going to shake Allen's confidence, then we have a much bigger problem than backup QB.  I don't believe that's the case.

I had the same thought. You bring in Winston; yeah, that's a message. It's highly likely he'll be starting somewhere, whether it be TB(most likely) or elsewhere.

If Case Keenum is gonna upset the apple card, that's a problem.

With JA's propensity to run and the Bills strong defense, a viable backup could very well end up making a difference if an injury were to occur. Barkley crumbles under pressure and is EASILY upgraded.

The Bills should be in the business of WINNING football games.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/8/2020 at 2:59 AM, 1ManRaid said:

Played bad against a decent defense with no Brown, Beasley, Singletary, or Knox...you're right it is absolutely time to panic about our backup QB situation and the sky is indeed falling.

smh

Who the hell said that we should panic or the sky is falling?  Its ok to try and improve your team, Brittany.

Edited by Tenhigh

53 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'd love to see Fitz come back to Buffalo.

That’s the kind of backup I want. 
Mariota and Dalton are obviously capable but I’m sure they have their sights set on a better job. Better chance to start. Fitz is capable especially in short stretches and by the way do you know where he went to college? I heard he’s smart ? 

Most of the guys mentioned in this thread are not actual options. If Fitz gets free he’s an actual option 

On 1/7/2020 at 10:44 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Honestly I think Winston is definitely an upgrade over Barkley But you’re right the free agency quarterback market is pretty thin right now I’d say for ***** and giggles if Miami released Fitz I’d say bring him back lol

I would be all good for that, BUT, hesitant because that would probably lead to Allen getting hurt and Fitz bring our starter.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I had the same thought. You bring in Winston; yeah, that's a message. It's highly likely he'll be starting somewhere, whether it be TB(most likely) or elsewhere.

If Case Keenum is gonna upset the apple card, that's a problem.

With JA's propensity to run and the Bills strong defense, a viable backup could very well end up making a difference if an injury were to occur. Barkley crumbles under pressure and is EASILY upgraded.

The Bills should be in the business of WINNING football games.

Well said.  I can't get behind the idea that we're just going to lose if Allen goes down.  The Saints went 5-0 with Bridgewater ($7M), Tannehill's ($2M) Titans just sent the Pats home, and Nick Foles ($4M in '17) was a Super Bowl MVP.  We can & should better our situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Well said.  I can't get behind the idea that we're just going to lose if Allen goes down.  The Saints went 5-0 with Bridgewater ($7M), Tannehill's ($2M) Titans just sent the Pats home, and Nick Foles ($4M in '17) was a Super Bowl MVP.  We can & should better our situation.

Right. Allen is the starter. We know that. There are some fans skeptical(myself included), but nobody is calling for a new STARTING quarterback. I think Allen's a big boy and there are always going to be fans calling for the backup. There were fans calling for BARKLEY to start for heaven's sake. So what?

The Bills are going to have to get better to make the postseason in 2020. They've got plenty of resources to acquire talent and plenty of young guys you'd assume will get better.

BUT. If Allen were to miss a few weeks, I don't want Matt Barkley running the ship. These could be pivotal games for all we know. 

I'm in favor of any move to improve the team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2020 at 12:20 PM, Nextmanup said:

I think he will survive the horrific start to his career and re-emerge somewhere down the road, once the smoke has cleared, with a legitimate shot to challenge for a starting role.  He should be given that chance; his career couldn't have gone worse to date, due mostly to influences beyond his control.

His (Rosen's) career trajectory is no surprise to me and I think he will be out of the league within 3 years.

Edited by Turk71

On 1/7/2020 at 10:44 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Honestly I think Winston is definitely an upgrade over Barkley But you’re right the free agency quarterback market is pretty thin right now I’d say for ***** and giggles if Miami released Fitz I’d say bring him back lol

Maybe we need to dumpster dive the CFL heap pile

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I miss Joe Webbs package ;)

We haven't got to see Barkleys package yet so I think its too early to move on from him ;)

I was actually referring to Davis lol....not sure what his package looks like, but he looks to be bigger than Barkley?

• Haha (+1) 1