QB free agency.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I don't know but I think we have much bigger needs on offense then a new back-up QB.  Barkley is good enough.  The Jets game was not a reasonable barometer of how he would do if Allen went down for a couple of games.  Or if you're going to use a Jet's game how about last years Jet's game? 

There's also the matter of CAP impact and some of the QB's being thrown around would not come cheap.  I would rather spend the money to overpay for a solid FA RT that enables us to move Ford to guard then bring in another back-up QB.

A solid FART beats a SHART every single time! That can’t be argued!!! 

• Haha (+1) 3

My first thought was a player like Mariota, but we might not want to do that.  I wouldn’t want the Bills to give anyone (especially Allen) the impression that Allen was on the hot seat.  A solid career backup would be fine, but that’s it. 

21 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

My first thought was a player like Mariota, but we might not want to do that.  I wouldn’t want the Bills to give anyone (especially Allen) the impression that Allen was on the hot seat.  A solid career backup would be fine, but that’s it. 

Id like Mariota too. I think we def need to upgrade, if JA goes down we’re screwed.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Bills related or not the QB FA market appears to be more interesting than its bee in a while.  With the young guys in the league and rookies coming in I'm not sure any of the FA QBs will find a starting role.  Assuming Talleywhacker stays in Tenn, who of these gets a starting job:

Rivers in LAC or elsewhere

Mariota

Dalton

Eli

Brady

Rosen

Flacco

Alex Smith

Winston

Cam

Bridgewater

Carr

Not all of them will change teams but many will.  Of those, the ones that could make sense to the Bills as pure backup aren't numerous because they are either crappy or see themselves as starter material.  I see mainly Mariota or Dalton as possibilities.  Barkley might be enough if they like what they've seen in Davis Webb as a fallback.

Where the heck does Rosen end up and in what capacity?

Mariota would be an excellent backup. He might be looking for a starting gig somewhere though.

37 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Just tell Allen his job is safe. Mariota comes in to upgrade the backup spot. Problem solved.

9 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Um ok....so if you listened to either Beane or McDermott’s press conference, they clearly believe in Josh Allen 100%

They aren’t going to do anything to mess with him like signing a higher profile backup QB like Winston or Keenum.  It’s not going to happen.

I think they are ok with Barkley as a #2 QB for 1 more year.  Depending on what Josh does in year 3 will determine what the team does at QB

I wouldn't consider Keenum's profile to be anywhere near as high as Winston's.  If the presence of a competent journeyman backup is going to shake Allen's confidence, then we have a much bigger problem than backup QB.  I don't believe that's the case.

Edited by Buffalo86
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Bills related or not the QB FA market appears to be more interesting than its bee in a while.  With the young guys in the league and rookies coming in I'm not sure any of the FA QBs will find a starting role.  Assuming Talleywhacker stays in Tenn, who of these gets a starting job:

Mariota

Dalton

Eli

Brady

Rosen

Flacco

Alex Smith

Winston

Cam

Bridgewater

Carr

Not all of them will change teams but many will.  Of those, the ones that could make sense to the Bills as pure backup aren't numerous because they are either crappy or see themselves as starter material.  I see mainly Mariota or Dalton as possibilities.  Barkley might be enough if they like what they've seen in Davis Webb as a fallback.

Jobs possibly Available - Leaving out like straight backup...

NE if brady walks

NO if brees walks

Cincy

Pittsburgh backup/Future

Tennessee

Indianapolis 

Jags (still have to pay foles tho)

Denver (still have to pay flacco tho)

Miami?

LAC

Chicago

TB

Car if Cam gets traded

Now lets assume kraft forces brady on belichick... and i think he will - they don't have a solid backup plan anyway so sign him.  Then immediately work on getting his successor.  Brees probably wants another shot and payton will give it to him. 

Cincy job is basically there to lose it to burrow so i expect it to drop rather late and to be one of the older guys.  Seems like a spot for Keenum to play for like 5-6 games before hitting the bench and giving way to burrow.

Pittsburgh and NO have the same sort of - maybe he retires in a year and you have a 1 year head start in learning the offense.  I say mariota to Pittsburgh cuz as Tomlin says "he won't kill ya"

Tenn will probably extend tannehill and he probably won't be as good.  

Indianapolis/Jags - Seem like a candidate for a rookie QB in early rounds - have a vet in place on a kind of large deal but not really in position to move on.  

Denver - Probably just roll with lock and flacco but i doubt it works out.

Miami - Probably draft a guy and honestly theyll probably cut rosen after... which is extra bad since everyone will likely have their 2 QBs at that point.  

Chargers - I see them trading up to try and snag tua and sell some tickets.  A lot of people have brady as their answer for that too, which i think would be interesting... just unlikely.  

Bears - Will try to upgrade.  

Bucs - if they move on from winston its a desirable job with the talent they have on offense.  

Car - if they trade cam then it becomes a solid spot for someone like dalton.  

There are a fair amount of available spots open.  Bucs and NO jobs are probably most desirable with the coaching staffs and offensive weapons in place there.  For buffalo - i think there is some value in bringing in an upgrade at QB2.  Just don't chase winstons/daltons etc.  I also think Rosen is getting brock osweilered here... he'll end up getting cut after they draft tua/herbert to sit behind fitz.  And at the point he's released he will not have practice squad eligibility either so he legit has to win a backup job somewhere.  Maybe NE takes a shot?  

10 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Honestly I think Winston is definitely an upgrade over Barkley But you’re right the free agency quarterback market is pretty thin right now I’d say for ***** and giggles if Miami released Fitz I’d say bring him back lol

Winston would beat Allen out in camp.  He’s absolutely insane but good Winston is one of the best passers in the NFL.  Probably is bad Winston shows up too much.  So there’s no way they would sign him. 

6 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Played bad against a decent defense with no Brown, Beasley, Singletary, or Knox...you're right it is absolutely time to panic about our backup QB situation and the sky is indeed falling.

smh

Why do people pretend like it’s one game with Barkley?  He had one game in the nfl when he wasn’t absolutely terrible.  http://www.nfl.com/player/mattbarkley/2539308/profile  Seems like a great dude but he is one of the worst backups in the nfl.  He is the definition of replaceable. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I don't know but I think we have much bigger needs on offense then a new back-up QB.  Barkley is good enough.  The Jets game was not a reasonable barometer of how he would do if Allen went down for a couple of games.  Or if you're going to use a Jet's game how about last years Jet's game? 

There's also the matter of CAP impact and some of the QB's being thrown around would not come cheap.  I would rather spend the money to overpay for a solid FA RT that enables us to move Ford to guard then bring in another back-up QB.

He was bad against NE and has a lifetime TD/INT ratio of 10/21. That is simply terrible.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Played bad against a decent defense with no Brown, Beasley, Singletary, or Knox...you're right it is absolutely time to panic about our backup QB situation and the sky is indeed falling.

smh

Bit of a straw man there. No one here is even vaguely reacting like that. And nor should they, as it's a fair, if somewhat minor, question. There are and will be many, many threads about the different coaches, players and tactical analysis. This is one which this is interesting, though slightly less fraught than many will be.

As for the question at hand, if Mariotta is ready to be a backup, then he'd be my choice too.

Otherwise, I'm not sure out of the many others, who would be suitable as an upgrade but also willing to be a backup.

Edited by Simstim

15 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Mariota

Dalton

Eli

Brady

Rosen

Flacco

Alex Smith

Winston

Cam

Bridgewater

Carr

Is this also a guess as to who gets cut? Cam and Carr are not FA's.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He was bad against NE and has a lifetime TD/INT ratio of 10/21. That is simply terrible.

Does any fanbase make more excuses for sub par qb play that bills fans?  Maybe the Browns and Bears?  I would venture to guess in the last 20 years, we might have the worst passing offense in the nfl. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Mariota

Dalton

Eli

Brady

Rosen

Flacco

Alex Smith

Winston

Cam

Bridgewater

Carr

I think he will survive the horrific start to his career and re-emerge somewhere down the road, once the smoke has cleared, with a legitimate shot to challenge for a starting role.  He should be given that chance; his career couldn't have gone worse to date, due mostly to influences beyond his control.

17 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Do you think Beane and McDermott look for a capable back up in feee agency, I don’t think we’re gonna draft anyone. I ask cause Barkley looked horrible in that last game against the Jets. Allen is our QB no question but I wonder if they bring a veteran in to back up Josh and possibly compete against Barkley 

Barkley looked horrible because 

1.  he was playing with backups 
  2. he was rusty from 16 weeks on the bench 

IMO he did improve int he second half on that Pre Season type game 

• Like (+1) 1