John Brown failure to toe drag

So many plays.....so many, and each and every one could have turned the game. The failure to toe drag, the “WTF fair catch” on the kickoff, the head shot on Josh in OT which would have led to easy FG position, the drop by Duke, the Houdini escape by Watson where TWO guys failed to wrap up on the sack. We could go on and on, and any ONE play could have changed the outcome. I realize the Texans can make the same argument, but that is NOT the point. 

I will look at this as a young team learning how to make the big play, how to win the big game. We got valuable experience here. We should learn from it and the gained experience. Being a consistent winner in the NFL doesn’t just happen. It really is.....a process. And that doesn’t happen all at once. 

This was horribly disappointing, but an important step. If we can keep making progress (especially Josh), it should be exciting times ahead! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's great player. Tough catch. He could have made it was my thought at the time. Still very difficult.  

But I've posted many times, NFL players make miraculous plays on a routine basis. That is what it takes to win.  Look at the throw and catch between Cousins and Theilin.  Almost zero margin for error.  Bills need a couple of those plays a game. And those plays are easier if you have size and speed. Bills need to get bigger at WR and bigger/faster at OLB/DE.  

29 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I see a thread like this, and I have to wonder what the real point is. Win or loss, every game has mistakes in it. Digging in to the minutia of one botched play has "agenda" written all over it.

The agenda is we scored 12 points on 10 drives and lost thew game because we didn't score enough to end the game

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan714 said:

I was thinking the exact thing as it happened.    A great receiver has the awareness to drag the toes, churn up the black rubber and probably fall forward, but makes the sacrifice of the body to make plays.   Just another example of the O needing better playmakers.   Its what separates great from average.    Playmakers make plays at key moments.

Great receivers make mistakes sometimes. Same with playmakers, even at key moments. It has to do with being human beings. It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens.

John Brown is both a great receiver and a playmaker. But yeah, this was a mistake.

He's a #1 receiver. He was 21st in yardage and tied for 24th in TDs despite the fact that they rested him the last week of the season, and he played on a team that threw the 24th most passes in the league, putting them in the bottom nine of the league. He's a #1. No, he's not a "true #1," but there are only about 6 or 7 of those guys in the league anyway.

Yes, we need to upgrade the #3 receiver position on this team. No, Brown is not the problem in any way.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, he's running full speed. It's a lot tougher to make that catch, I think. He'd probably have to drag his feet and fall to the ground, which is what he should have done.

The "bunny hop" was to elevate his arms slightly to make the catch easier. He's a shrimp, remember.

He should have made it probably, but it's harder than people are making it out to be.

He just misjudged it, left the ground when he didn't have to and didn't focus on getting his feet down. Hell, he ran out of bounds standing up, didn't even fall forward keeping his feet behind him. It was actually fairly routine catch in the NFL, he just got fooled by how perfect the throw was I think. It happens, it just happened to happen at a really bad time.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

That's good for 21st in the NFL for receiving yards, just fyi. He also posted catch percentage of 63...again, that's not so good. 23rd in yards per reception. 26th in yards per target. 22nd in yards per game. 

I said he's good. If you think those are elite numbers I don't know what to tell you. 

If these numbers aren't enough for a #1 receiver then how many teams have one? 

1 hour ago, GG said:

He’s not a true #1.  When was the last tough/contested catch that he made?

He’d be a perfect complement to a guy like Larry Fitzgerald. 

When people say "a true #1," they seem to mean a top 5 or 6 in the league guy. You're right, he's not one of those. He absolutely is one of the top 22 or 23 receivers in the league, though, and that makes him a #1.

And as for contested catches, that has nothing to do with being good, elite or whatever. It's only one part of being a receiver. Making catches, contested or not, that makes you a great receiver. Duke Williams makes contested catches, but he sure isn't a true #1. Receivers need to make catches. If they get open and make catches that aren't contested, that's the opposite of a problem. Plenty of great receivers don't make many contested catches.

Go back and look at the 5 or 6 times Brown was open long and overthrown by Allen this year. There's no doubt he's a #1.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

That's good for 21st in the NFL for receiving yards, just fyi. He also posted catch percentage of 63...again, that's not so good. 23rd in yards per reception. 26th in yards per target. 22nd in yards per game. 

I said he's good. If you think those are elite numbers I don't know what to tell you. 

He's not just good. There are probably 60 - 90 guys in the league who are good. He's really good.

Elite generally means top three or four in the league. Nobody argues he's elite. They argue that he's a #1. Because he is.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

He’s not a true #1.  When was the last tough/contested catch that he made?

He’d be a perfect complement to a guy like Larry Fitzgerald. 

Agreed.  He is definitely NOT a #1 WR.  He's a #2, a good #2.  We need a dominant beast in size and strength, not Smurfs, like Julio Jones

Edited by Dablitzkrieg

11 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

If these numbers aren't enough for a #1 receiver then how many teams have one? 

Guys I consider legit #1 wide receivers-

hopkins

thomas

hill

evans 

Beckham jr

diggs

jones

Cooper 

allen

Golladay

adams

Then some young guys like dj Moore, courtland Sutton, Godwin, Mike Williams who could get there soon. So maybe 10-15 teams? Probably forgetting someone

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

When people say "a true #1," they seem to mean a top 5 or 6 in the league guy. You're right, he's not one of those. He absolutely is one of the top 22 or 23 receivers in the league, though, and that makes him a #1.

And as for contested catches, that has nothing to do with being good, elite or whatever. It's only one part of being a receiver. Making catches, contested or not, that makes you a great receiver. Duke Williams makes contested catches, but he sure isn't a true #1. Receivers need to make catches. If they get open and make catches that aren't contested, that's the opposite of a problem. Plenty of great receivers don't make many contested catches.

Go back and look at the 5 or 6 times Brown was open long and overthrown by Allen this year. There's no doubt he's a #1.

He's not just good. There are probably 60 - 90 guys in the league who are good. He's really good.

Elite generally means top three or four in the league. Nobody argues he's elite. They argue that he's a #1. Because he is.

A 1 by default imo. And don’t get me wrong, I love Brown. He’s got great hands and speed but he’s not the whole package. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

hopkins

thomas

hill

evans 

Beckham jr

diggs

jones

Cooper 

allen

Golladay

adams

Then some young guys like dj Moore, courtland Sutton, Godwin, Mike Williams who could get there soon. So maybe 10-15 teams? Probably forgetting someone

good list. Godwin may be approaching that status as well. Too early to tell though.

edit: i see you listed him at the bottom good stuff.

Edited by JoPoy88

The overall point imo is that Allen made enough plays to win.  The playmakers left a good amount of yards on the field.  As good as Brown was this year, he makes an incredible 2 or 1A.  A good Wr opposite Brown makes the offense and passing attack more dynamic.  This years draft class is deep.  My understanding, Marquis Brown who was the first Wr taken in 19, would be 4th or 5th wr this year.  I think Buffalo signs a vetran and Drafts one early.

Smoke had a tremendous year.  Him and Beasley having near or career years, shows the progress Allen had made as a passer.  Brown, Beasley, Knox, and Singeltary are a solid base to an offense.  I'm not satisfied with them overall but improving and adding to them makes the offense seem more promising.

Having a guy outside to share the load of the passing attack helps, Brown and Beasley.  Bringing in another back to keep Singletary fresh while also not limiting the offense is also a must.  I also, like the idea of bringing in an upgrade over Kroft so the team can go hurry up in 2 Te sets.  Assuming they are athletic and versatile as Knox.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

hopkins

thomas

hill

evans 

Beckham jr

diggs

jones

Cooper 

allen

Golladay

adams

A 1 by default imo. And don’t get me wrong, I love Brown. He’s got great hands and speed but he’s not the whole package. 

Well, fine, then you don't understand what a #1 receiver is. 

If you want to say that Brown isn't a top twelve guy, which is what you are actually saying there, I don't think anyone will disagree with you.

But as for #1s, there are probably around 25 - 30 #1s in the league at any given time, and Brown is very easily in that group.

6 minutes ago, without a drought said:

He's no Bobby Chandler. 

True, dat. He's much better.

And I liked Chandler a lot.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Well, fine, then you don't understand what a #1 receiver is. 

If you want to say that Brown isn't a top twelve guy, which is what you are actually saying there, I don't think anyone will disagree with you.

But as for #1s, there are probably around 25 - 30 #1s in the league at any given time, and Brown is very easily in that group.

True, dat. He's much better.

And I liked Chandler a lot.

Ok since you seem unable to grasp this concept: technically yes, you are correct- EVERY team has a WR1. I am speaking of a wideout who is able to make the tough catches in important moments without being wide open, who defenses have to build game plans around, who can score from anywhere, kind of guy who will extend catch radius which will be immensely helpful for a QB like Allen.

We don’t have a guy right now whose catch radius extends beyond the length of his arms. Or can fight through a defender and present a bigger target. Maybe Knox eventually but right now the wideouts can’t.