John Brown failure to toe drag

What a missed opportunity!   I was at the game and did not realize how close  this was.  I read someone said the moment was too big for him......I don’t agree.   This was a poor play on him but his feet were out of sync before the throw.   He should have made the play.  

13 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

It was so obvious the second I saw it. A perfect pass and a huge mistake by Brown

It is was a catachable ball, and he didn't need to hop to make the catch.

But the cb is trailing and Brown has a clear TD if it's a touch pass leading him into the end zone. Josh threw a Lazer to the sideline instead. 

• Like (+1) 1

So John Brown will automatically miss a game in 2020 since we play at Denver and he has sickle cell. If Oakland is selected for the Mexico City game again, and we end up their opponent, he’d miss that one as well.

Nothing major to discuss, but it occurred to me that I haven’t seen that mentioned, and this seemed like the most appropriate place for it.

9 hours ago, Motorin' said:

It is was a catachable ball, and he didn't need to hop to make the catch.

But the cb is trailing and Brown has a clear TD if it's a touch pass leading him into the end zone. Josh threw a Lazer to the sideline instead. 

I have said this over and over on some other threads. Watch the entire play and you see Brown raising his arms saying throw the ball. Josh throws a touch pass not angled as closely to the sideline and its an easy TD. Instead Josh makes a good throw if it was tight coverage and you needed the sideline. Brown needs to make that catch in bounds. But it was not needed there. 10000% guarantee Josh and Brown would watch the tape and agree. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

So John Brown will automatically miss a game in 2020 since we play at Denver and he has sickle cell. If Oakland is selected for the Mexico City game again, and we end up their opponent, he’d miss that one as well.

Nothing major to discuss, but it occurred to me that I haven’t seen that mentioned, and this seemed like the most appropriate place for it.

Seems that this was thought to be an issue for Brown to play in Denver, but apparently it is not a problem in his case.  There was discussion last year that he might sign in Denver, and apparently health would not be an issue to play there.

https://thednvr.com/source-close-to-john-brown-says-sickle-cell-trait-wont-keep-him-out-of-denver-doctor-weighs-in/

10 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Seems that this was thought to be an issue for Brown to play in Denver, but apparently it is not a problem in his case.  There was discussion last year that he might sign in Denver, and apparently health would not be an issue to play there.

https://thednvr.com/source-close-to-john-brown-says-sickle-cell-trait-wont-keep-him-out-of-denver-doctor-weighs-in/

Cool. Good to know 

45 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I have said this over and over on some other threads. Watch the entire play and you see Brown raising his arms saying throw the ball. Josh throws a touch pass not angled as closely to the sideline and its an easy TD. Instead Josh makes a good throw if it was tight coverage and you needed the sideline. Brown needs to make that catch in bounds. But it was not needed there. 10000% guarantee Josh and Brown would watch the tape and agree. 

So you're saying it's kinda like the Tyrod/Zay Jones play vs Carolina, but in the reverse -- where Tyrod saw the easy TD and adjusted appropriately, but the stumbling Jones continued on the out route (to about the 3 yard line) despite the fact that the EZ was wide open and would have ended the game in the Bills' favor.

45 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

So you're saying it's kinda like the Tyrod/Zay Jones play vs Carolina, but in the reverse -- where Tyrod saw the easy TD and adjusted appropriately, but the stumbling Jones continued on the out route (to about the 3 yard line) despite the fact that the EZ was wide open and would have ended the game in the Bills' favor.

Just using your response to jump in

but jeez, both things can be true - Josh could have thrown a bit earlier, which would have been an easier completion and possibly a TD and Brown could have still caught the ball as it was thrown and dragged his toes. Football is a game of inches, but plays like this happen in all games numerous times. Brown should have still been able to catch it - there was ample room - it is more on him than Josh. At the same time, yeah Josh could have tossed it a second earlier

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

but jeez, both things can be true - Josh could have thrown a bit earlier, which would have been an easier completion and possibly a TD and Brown could have still caught the ball as it was thrown and dragged his toes. Football is a game of inches, but plays like this happen in all games numerous times. Brown should have still been able to catch it - there was ample room - it is more on him than Josh. At the same time, yeah Josh could have tossed it a second earlier

Agreed; should have been caught.

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'll go further and say Allen SHOULD have thrown it earlier. That hitch in his drop threw off the timing of the route. Still, once the ball is in the air that's a very complete-able catch...not every play is going to have perfect timing and those are the spots you need your playmakers to step up and deliver.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'll go further and say Allen SHOULD have thrown it earlier. That hitch in his drop threw off the timing of the route. Still, once the ball is in the air that's a very complete-able catch...not every play is going to have perfect timing and those are the spots you need your playmakers to step up and deliver.

Josh needed better anticipation on his throw and toss it before Brown made is break outside. Fault goes both ways and while it was a failure on both, it still should have been caught. It sucks to leave plays like that on the field.

Honestly it is par for the course this season and like some of the other drops we have seen over the course of the season a slightly better throw would have helped the WR, but the WR still should have caught it. The only other drops that really pissed me off this year were when the pass catcher would take their eyes off the catch and start looking up field and dropping it. All of it needs to get corrected/cleaned up this off season

I see it as just a misplayed ball. 

Is it disappointing? Sure. 

But the problem is that this offense has such a small margin for error that if we miss our ONE PLAY on a given drive it stalls. You need, as an offense, to be able to bounce back if someone misses a play and hit something else on the next play. 

Instead, this offense gets someone open, something goes wrong, and then it's like nothing happens for another quarter. 

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Yes, you want that big-time star WR

BUT the offense overall could be just as good with 2 John Browns and 1 Cole Beasley, as long as the TE position continues to develop

What about four Cole Beasley's and a partridge in a pear tree?

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

So John Brown has sickle cell trait, not sickle cell anemia.  There's no medical reason an athlete with sickle cell trait can't play in Denver.  The main issue is maintaining oxygenation and good hydration.  Supplemental oxygen on the sideline between drives could be a good precaution. 

Brown has discussed using the hypobaric chamber at the Bills facility on game days as well.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to have one in Denver.

Bottom line, it's not an automatic miss