John Brown failure to toe drag

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Oh cool!  Today we are bashing JB?  Awesome. Who’s tomorrow?  

Just a question here: is it possible to discuss a play and a player in a critical manner without "bashing"?

To me, bashing is mindless criticism: "he sucks, he can't catch a cold, he's awful" blah blah with no evidence or reasoning or examples behind it.

I'm not seeing a lot of that here.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He was facing a corner that was without question a top 5 CB in 2019 on that play. Other guys make plays too. 

Right, and that frames it very nicely.  John Brown is without question, a very good WR.  Very good route runner, very good hands, good blocker when asked, willing to do whatever to help the team.  But when he's facing a corner that's a top 5 or even top 10 CB, he doesn't seem able to consistently win those matchups and make plays.  He does sometimes - witness how he undressed Gilmore against NE.  Brown could have run a better route against Peters, no question, but he'd been held down all game at that point, no guarantees.

It seems to me that if we're going to win passing matchups with teams that have top-10 or top-5 CB, we need a WR who can win those matchups or make contested catches regardless.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd like to see you defend this claim with evidence.
Here's a list of the top 16 WR on yards in the NFL this year.  Can you describe some of those 1-2 ugly plays per game from each of them?

image.thumb.png.6950a0b8d7a892450fd2dee391c9be27.png

If your argument is "plenty of blame to go around", I can not disagree

8 or those top 10 were not even in the playoffs.  I guess the Saints with Brees and Thomas scored one more point than us and that's something.

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

8 or those top 10 were not even in the playoffs.  I guess the Saints with Brees and Thomas scored one more point than us and that's something.

The question is not were they in the playoffs.

The question is to the OP's contention that every player, specifically every NFL WR, makes 1-2 "ugly plays per game"

We can acknowledge that every year, good and even great players fail to make the playoffs, correct?

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hill isn't a guy who "extends catch radius," a phrase that makes no sense by the way. He's a guy who gets open a lot with his speed and shiftiness. But he doesn't fit your rules here.

Sure he occasionally jumps for a ball. So has John Brown.

Know whose catch radius extend beyond the length of his arms? Octopuses? Guys using long sticks with stickum on 'em. That's about it. Guys with long arms have longer reaches. Nobody catches stuff beyond their reach, though. And for sure not Tyreek Hill.

Nor does Tyreek Hill "fight through defenders" or anyway no more than John Brown or most smaller guys. Hill is faster and better than Brown, but he's not the kind of guy your rules describe. You include Tyreek Hill because you like him, which is fine, but he doesn't fit your own arbitrary qualifications. He's just good.

chiefs-tyreek-hill-catch.gif

^this is how you make yourself a target and fight for a ball through the defender. Brown doesn't do this vs baltimore and we lose shot at tying game

Tyreek-Hill-75-yd-TD.gif

^this is giving your QB the chance to make a bad throw by extending your catch radius. I don't believe Brown makes this catch with regularity and he certainly doesn't score here

AcidicEnchantingBarnacle-size_restricted

^this is coming back and fighting through defenders, again, to present a target for your QB. 

^another example of extending catch radius and fighting through defenders. John Brown never makes this catch

• Like (+1) 3

Brown should have gotten those toes down no question. My best guess is he just mistimed his jump...though he is going full speed and has to slow down to make the catch which also throws off the timing. But he needs to make that play. 

This was not a perfect pass as too many people are saying. Watch the entire play- link below. Brown timing is likely off because he immediately sees a TD and wants the ball. You can see him raise his hand as he passes the numbers and if thrown then we have an easy TD. Allen needs to throw that ball sooner and not directly to the sideline. A TD pass, not an out of bounds play. No excuse for Brown not making that catch, but should not have needed that level of difficulty. I would bet that you have Allen and Brown watching this tape rate now they both say that. 

Brown is a zone guy beater.  The bills lack a man vs man beater that wins 50/50 balls 

this may be the narrative that people saying the bills need a true number one Wr

id like to see them sign Green to an incentive contract and the draft Higgins who’s frame can allow some NFL muscle in it and fit right into a Green mold.  He can fight for those 50/50 balls and get them

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We're in complete agreement on your conclusion.  The Bills need a difference maker at WR or TE.  I would call Beasley and Brown both very good WR, but neither are difference makers.

One can make an argument on John Brown for career year, but I think it's important to note he had close to as much production in 2015 as a #2. 

Cole Beasley arguably had a better year in 2016 in Dallas - more yards, more YPG, more yards/target. 

Beasley didn't mention plans to work with Josh off season and neither did Brown - Beasley has property in Texas and Brown has a home (I think) in Florida.  But I hope they will.  In particular, it could be seen in training camp that Beasley was determined to persuade Josh to throw with more touch and anticipation, and succeeded in a TC/practice situation.  I'm sure Josh will continue to work on that but it would also help a lot (even if he doesn't train with Josh) if Beasley would set his Juggs machine on "stun" and just accept that under pressure Josh is gonna gun it at times, and he has to up his bullet-handling game if he can. 

I do wonder if either of them see opportunities to become stronger and more physical to break free of press coverage, and will work on that.

I think asking them to get stronger and more physical might be a bit much  Beasley's game is short area quickness and he's not a big guy.  Brown is downfield speed and again not only not a big guy but small frame.  John Brown assumed a role he's not a physical match for and he did as best of a job as he could.  Better we allow/put them in a better position to succeed which means bigger more prototypical wrs on the outside.  I'm certain Brandon Beane knows this, we just have to hope he hits again in FA/draft to address it.  They had good success with those two so maybe he can upgrade yet again.

15 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Uh yeah OK.    1060 yards, tons of clutch 3rd down conversions in 15 games on only 115 targets and virtually none of it in garbage time.

Elite numbers dude.  Sorry it doesn't fit your narrative.

That's not elite. 1K should be the expectation. That's Stevie Johnson good. Rookie Kelvin Benjamin good.

1 hour ago, ILBillsfan said:

Brown is a zone guy beater.  The bills lack a man vs man beater that wins 50/50 balls 

this may be the narrative that people saying the bills need a true number one Wr

id like to see them sign Green to an incentive contract and the draft Higgins who’s frame can allow some NFL muscle in it and fit right into a Green mold.  He can fight for those 50/50 balls and get them

That's a good way to put it. I don't see him beat the top CBs with any consistency. Which is exactly what WR1s are for.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a question here: is it possible to discuss a play and a player in a critical manner without "bashing"?

To me, bashing is mindless criticism: "he sucks, he can't catch a cold, he's awful" blah blah with no evidence or reasoning or examples behind it.

I'm not seeing a lot of that here.

Right, and that frames it very nicely.  John Brown is without question, a very good WR.  Very good route runner, very good hands, good blocker when asked, willing to do whatever to help the team.  But when he's facing a corner that's a top 5 or even top 10 CB, he doesn't seem able to consistently win those matchups and make plays.  He does sometimes - witness how he undressed Gilmore against NE.  Brown could have run a better route against Peters, no question, but he'd been held down all game at that point, no guarantees.

It seems to me that if we're going to win passing matchups with teams that have top-10 or top-5 CB, we need a WR who can win those matchups or make contested catches regardless.

It seems every day we are bashing players. Maybe not you. But to argue if JB is a #1 receiver is not intelligent discussion.  There is mostly emotional negative takes on players and the coaching.  Of course there is rational and educated takes. But the thread doesn’t reflect that overall. 

He's almost a 1, imo.  If we do get someone who most would agree is a true #1, it would be pretty incredible, since I'd put Brown near the top of the #2 list around the league.  Then, w/ Beasley as a 3, and Knox having a year under his belt...this offense could be really exciting.

Imagine having an offense that scores in the 20's or 30's every game, if the defense stays as good as it was this past year.  This could really be a top team in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

I was thinking the exact thing as it happened.    A great receiver has the awareness to drag the toes, churn up the black rubber and probably fall forward, but makes the sacrifice of the body to make plays.   Just another example of the O needing better playmakers.   Its what separates great from average.    Playmakers make plays at key moments.

I too was frustrated on that throw.  In the NE v Titans game Saturday, Brady threw a pass to the sidelines to Edelman.  The pass was quite a bit out of bounds and Edelman had no chance to make the catch in bounds.  Edelman still made a leap to catch the pass and was literally horizontal when he crossed the side lines.  He couldn't even reach the ball with a finger, but still made all the attempt he could to make that catch.  I thought, man, the Bills need a WR like that.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s amazing how many huge missed opportunities we could dissect from this game and to think, if we just had any ONE of them, we probably win. 

I know it’s easy to say this about a playoff game but I genuinely cannot remember a game with more missed opportunities than this one... and you can even add the top 3 controversial calls / non-calls to the list... any one of those go our way instead and we likely win as well.

yeah, Texans had their dropped picks as missed opportunities but hell we had one of those too, and I wasn’t even thinking of that one yet, but if we come away with that pick we are up at least 20-0 and game is likely out of reach. 

SIGH...

The number 1 receiver argument is almost as good as the "franchise" QB argument.  Speaking of which when are we going to dust that off again?  Make more plays than the other team and win games.  Just because Brown doesn't out muscle guys like Hopkins doesn't mean he isn't a play maker.  Give him that ball 10 times and he'll catch it and get his feet in 9 times out of ten.  Give this defense a 3rd and 18 and they'll stop them 9 times out of ten.  Put Milano and a DB in the backfield and we should have the sack 9 times out of 10.  There were too many plays that were made most of the year that weren't made Saturday.  Brown will be back making plays next year and probably put up even bigger numbers next year ......... whatever you want to call him.

19 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I had the game on mute and I still wanted Booger to stfu

I had to turn it off pretty quickly as well, the commentary, not the game. According to Booger, every play was the result of the other team breaking down in some fashion. "Great run by Singletary!" "Well, Joe, again, poor tackling, look at this guy over here, he's 15 yards away and misses the tackle, he should be ashamed!" I just can't stand commentary in general anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

Even in youth football, we coach to never leave your feet to catch a ball when you don't need to. There's zero reason Brown needed to jump to catch a chest-high ball. If I had an 8th grader do that, I'd have been flipping out. Really bad play by Brown.