John Brown failure to toe drag

So I’m rewatching the game, and John Brown should have played that reception better.  Could Allen have thrown it a tad sooner, sure. However, Brown took his feet off the ground when I don’t think he really needed to.  Would have been First and Goal at the 3 yd line.

365262A3-86FC-47EA-B351-1C628D798D54.jpeg

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was thinking the exact thing as it happened.    A great receiver has the awareness to drag the toes, churn up the black rubber and probably fall forward, but makes the sacrifice of the body to make plays.   Just another example of the O needing better playmakers.   Its what separates great from average.    Playmakers make plays at key moments.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

He's a good receiver, not a #1. Your #1 knows how to make that catch.

Honestly I feel like a lot of average NFL receivers would have made that catch.  Obviously Brown is better than an average receiver but yeesh that was bad.

• Like (+1) 4

Yeah, I was like wtf is Booger talking about, it was a bad pass, thrown too late? It was great ball placement. A routine sideline catch. Difficulty 4/10. So frustrating. John Brown likely makes this catch 9.5 plays out of 10. There were just so many little instances, where they could have shut the door and failed. The Duke Williams drop, the Allen fumble and about 10 other things. If just one of those plays go our way, we win. Most frustrating game as I can remember.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NC Book said:

Yeah, I was like wtf is Booger talking about, it was a bad pass, thrown too late? It was great ball placement. A routine sideline catch. Difficulty 4/10. So frustrating. John Brown likely makes this catch 9.5 plays out of 10. There were just so many little instances, where they could have shut the door and failed. The Duke Williams drop, the Allen fumble and about 10 other things. If just one of those plays go our way, we win. Most frustrating game as I can remember.

I thought I’d be over it by now, but everyday seems to present a new angle of a play we should’ve made or a new bad call that went against us and I’m sucked back in.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Locomark said:

And why a bunny hop....he needs toe drag swag lessons in the offseason ....

I think he thought he was gonna have to lay out and stretch or go up high and get it. When it was perfect, it caught him off guard, making him jumble his footwork.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I thought I’d be over it by now, but everyday seems to present a new angle of a play we should’ve made or a new bad call that went against us and I’m sucked back in.  

Same here. At first I had just accepted we blew it, got outplayed after the 1st half. Every day my mind has changed more and more. Now I'm like a raging lunatic lol. This is going to be the longest offseason for me in a while..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He's a good receiver, not a #1. Your #1 knows how to make that catch.

Uh yeah OK.    1060 yards, tons of clutch 3rd down conversions in 15 games on only 115 targets and virtually none of it in garbage time.

Elite numbers dude.  Sorry it doesn't fit your narrative.

He screwed up that catch for sure, jumped when he didn't have to and didn't get the drag in, but his "he's not a #1 stuff" is so ridiculous.   Might be better to say it would be nice to add another great receiver and pray the guy sniffs 1000 yards on 130 targets.

7 minutes ago, Locomark said:

And why a bunny hop....he needs toe drag swag lessons in the offseason ....

Can't remember him doing that ever before Saturday.   I think he just was tracking the ball and he thought he had more room.  Maybe he thought it was coming in hotter than it was (wouldn't be the first Josh throw to him this year that came in high and sizzlin)  and his instincts told him to jump before he could think.   

Frustrating.   A great pickup though, and surprised me with how good his hands are this season.  Hadn't seen much of him at Zona or Balt.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Da webster guy said:

Uh yeah OK.    1060 yards, tons of clutch 3rd down conversions in 15 games on only 115 targets and virtually none of it in garbage time.

He screwed up that catch for sure, jumped when he didn't have to and didn't get the drag in, but his "he's not a #1 stuff" is so ridiculous.   Might be better to say it would be nice to add another great receiver and pray the guy sniffs 1000 yards on 130 targets.

He’s not a true #1.  When was the last tough/contested catch that he made?

He’d be a perfect complement to a guy like Larry Fitzgerald. 

Just now, Da webster guy said:

That's good for 21st in the NFL for receiving yards, just fyi. He also posted catch percentage of 63...again, that's not so good. 23rd in yards per reception. 26th in yards per target. 22nd in yards per game. 

I said he's good. If you think those are elite numbers I don't know what to tell you. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, he's running full speed. It's a lot tougher to make that catch, I think. He'd probably have to drag his feet and fall to the ground, which is what he should have done.

The "bunny hop" was to elevate his arms slightly to make the catch easier. He's a shrimp, remember.

He should have made it probably, but it's harder than people are making it out to be.

23 minutes ago, NC Book said:

Agree entirely. It’s almost easier to take getting blown out in a loss where you know definitively you had no chance vs. ruminating over numerous chances you let slip away.