Really liked what Beane had to say today

I think this convo is ignoring the glaringly needs on the offense, ya know, the squad that has trouble scoring TDs... just sayin, I would “assume” that Beane would invest on that side of the ball in a considerable way, maybe that’s just me...

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you listen to Beane's presser, it's pretty durn clear they are no way no how going to tag Jordan Phillips.  He explicitly said "he has earned the right to see what he can get on the open market"

I don't see the Beaner spending top FA dollar on a 31 yr old FA WR who has missed ~ half of his most recent 4 seasons with injury, either.

I'm just asking, but I'm pretty sure the pairing is Star/Harrison then Jordan Phillips/Oliver.  So who else is in that mix?  Where is Corey Liuget lining up?

They started the year with Star/Oliver and then substituted in Harrison/Phillips.  I don't know if the Bills keep Liuget or draft a backup for Oliver if they decide to move on from Phillips.

18 hours ago, Magox said:

One of the things he said that I picked up on is thst he wasn’t interested in picking up free agents if they were in his view a lateral movement unless he lost a player through FA.   

That they wanted continuity.   I expect them to re-sign the players they want to roll with, pick up some additional competition in certain positions and attempt to make a clear upgrade or two in FA.

And continue to hit it out of the park with their drafts.

This is the model.

Yes, from top to bottom. Continuity is so friggn' important. You will not always get a Belichek-level coach/GM or Brady-talent but when you can keep even decent continuity, you will win a lot.

The coaching and personnel carousel of the last 20 years is a total disaster. Total.  

5 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I think Phillips is gone as well.  The Bills have youth, with Oliver and H. Phillips, plus they have Lotulelei's contract.  Also they have Vincent Taylor.  They're not going to give Phillips big money for above average player.

Shaq is a little different case imo.  The Bills are older at DE with Murphy and Hughes.  Then they have D. Johnson who just finished rookie season.  It wouldn't surprise me if they paid Shaq.  This would allow them to focus on WR in the first round.

I agree with all of this except that Harrison Phillips, who everyone tagged as ready to have a breakout season, has not had a breakout anything yet. We want him to be Kyle Williams but I'm not sure he's anything close to that. 

16 hours ago, turftoe said:

I could see Beane making some trades, possibly for 2021 picks. He could possibly get some comp picks for Lawson and Phillips to take away the sting.

Phillips isn't under contract so they can't trade him for anything.