Really liked what Beane had to say today

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Seems like we are not just going to throw money at free agents. Instead we are going to use a good portion of cap space on keeping our guys and maybe add a free agent or two and then hit the draft hard liking this model 

One of the things he said that I picked up on is thst he wasn’t interested in picking up free agents if they were in his view a lateral movement unless he lost a player through FA.   

That they wanted continuity.   I expect them to re-sign the players they want to roll with, pick up some additional competition in certain positions and attempt to make a clear upgrade or two in FA.

And continue to hit it out of the park with their drafts.

This is the model.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Magox said:

One of the things he said that I picked up on is thst he wasn’t interested in picking up free agents if they were in his view a lateral movement unless he lost a player through FA.   

That they wanted continuity.   I expect them to re-sign the players they want to roll with, pick up some additional competition in certain positions and attempt to make a clear upgrade or two in FA.

And continue to hit it out of the park with their drafts.

This is the model.

So what do you think that means?  Not going after an offensive lineman as not likely an improvement, but going after a pass rusher would be?

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Excited about the offseason. Free Agency and the Draft. I have 100% confidence in Beane. Feels good to have a legit GM that loves this team and loves Buffalo! 

...and has a sincere appreciation of our fans. :)

I trust these guys and look forward to seeing what they build. 

• Like (+1) 5

I was hoping to let Shaq and Phillips walk, then sign Ngakoue.  

If I had to guess, his statements sounded like we’ll look to bring them back.   

While I don’t hate it, I just think we have a lot of above average players already... we need game changers.  

The defense left a bad taste in my mouth with that NE game, followed by putting up the worst performance of WC weekend. 

I am confident we strongly boost the offense via FA and/or the Draft.  

Edited by SCBills

Championship teams need game breakers at key positions...we need more. We do need some via FA as well as the draft. I hope we aren’t just bargain hunters all the time. We do need premium talent also. One or two game breakers = first round bye potential. 

• Like (+1) 2

I really like Beane and the job he's doing.  Hope to see him as GM of the year soon.

My expectation is that Beane makes every reasonable attempt to bring back Lawson and Jordan Phillips at reasonable rates, though he won't overpay.  If a deal can't be reached with one or both, I am expecting to see an upgrade at both positions.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

...and has a sincere appreciation of our fans. :)

I trust these guys and look forward to seeing what they build. 

Agreed! I have never seen a GM get emotional when speaking about a fan base. You can really tell Brandon has embraced Buffalo and wants very badly to deliver a championship to us. The future is bright for us Bills fans! 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Seems like we are not just going to throw money at free agents. Instead we are going to use a good portion of cap space on keeping our guys and maybe add a free agent or two and then hit the draft hard liking this model 

very rarely do teams ever have success solely from building through the draft 

I doubt it happens here. Beane needs to bring more talent here specifically on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't trust anything he says about the future as he never tells the truth nor should he.  No reason to give away any strategy to the media.  

I was impressed with the self criticism about 2018.  He really finally admitted he did not put a team on the filed that could win especially with the o-line.  I applaud him for that.  

I look forward to seeing the moves he makes in the near future

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I was hoping to let Shaq and Phillips walk, then sign Ngakoue.  

If I had to guess, his statements sounded like we’ll look to bring them back.   

While I don’t hate it, I just think we have a lot of above average players already... we need game changers.  

The defense left a bad taste in my mouth with that NE game, followed by putting up the worst performance of WC weekend. 

I am confident we strongly boost the offense via FA and/or the Draft.  

I think it was pretty clear Jordan Phillips is gone and Shaq has a set limit as to what we are willing to spend - other posters felt that way as well in the original Beane Presser thread

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I think it was pretty clear Jordan Phillips is gone and Shaq has a set limit as to what we are willing to spend - other posters felt that way as well in the original Beane Presser thread

I hope so.  Nothing against Jordan Phillips, but with money tied up in Star Lotulelei and high picks in Oliver and Harry, throwing big money to re-sign another above average/not elite DT doesn’t make much sense.   

Same with Shaq.  Good player.  Not great.  We have plenty of guys like him.  We need a game changer at that position. 

Edited by SCBills

Please please please extend Tre White while you can still afford him  Look at the history of Bills #1 draft choice DB's who cut and run for more $ somewhere else -- Winfield, Clement, Gilmore, even Li'l Donte.   Please PLEASE extend Tre White while you can still afford him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1