The Rooney Rule (still) isn’t working?

wppete

14 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

IMO this year teams are hiring before they do their do diligence.  Every one of them (except Cleveland) made a decision in a weeks time.. not allowing any current coordinators to interview (white, black, Martian) and ALL before they talked to McDaniels who is suppose to be this hot commodity this year again.  (He has earned a new HC job even if I believe his entire success is because Brady made him look good.)

McDaniels would already be a HC if he hadn't left Indy at the altar in favor of some shady redux of the Belichick-Parcells succession deal.  Why would anyone in their right mind bring McD in after he reneged on the Indy position?

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

I love that in 2020 the white man feels like he’s being oppressed at every turn. 

But I guess when you come from privilege, equality can seem like oppression 

What nonesense are you talking about? Ridiculous comment. 

10 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

I love that in 2020 the white man feels like he’s being oppressed at every turn. 

This is the very kind of stupid comment this intelligent, well done thread doesn't need. Be better or be worse elsewhere. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

McDaniels would already be a HC if he hadn't left Indy at the altar in favor of some shady redux of the Belichick-Parcells succession deal.  Why would anyone in their right mind bring McD in after he reneged on the Indy position?

No clue I am just stating what all the talking heads were saying.. that McDaniels is a hot commodity again.. 

14 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This is the very kind of stupid comment this intelligent, well done thread doesn't need. Be better or be worse elsewhere. 

This has been a great thread....

I believe you see more of a change when the owners are younger and not these guys

image.jpeg.ce56490a49457c87939f382405a5b449.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I completely agree with you. I sometimes wonder how people like that get by in life. Mind boggling comment. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Truth hurts huh?

1 hour ago, wppete said:

I completely agree with you. I sometimes wonder how people like that get by in life. Mind boggling comment. 

I’m going to go out on a limb and say you’re white. 

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

If a black kid comes from a home that brings in over $200,000 and is able to send him to a private school, does he have more privilege than a white kid growing up in the sticks, whose family can barely make ends meet?

serious question...

Just now, JaCrispy said:

If a black kid comes from a home that brings in over $200,000 and is able to send him to a private school, does he have more privilege than a white kid growing up in the sticks, whose family can barely make ends meet?

serious question...

Seriously dude be more diverse in your everyday life. Make friends with some Tyrones and Joakims. Your questions will answer themselves. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

serious question...

Don't bother with this schmuck. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

This has been a great thread....

I believe you see more of a change when the owners are younger and not these guys

image.jpeg.ce56490a49457c87939f382405a5b449.jpeg

Roony hired Tomlin when he was pretty dang old.  How young to they have to be?  Snyder is 55.

The Roony Rule was enacted when Dan was 70 years old.  Danged ole old guys.

Edited by reddogblitz

The Rooney Rule is fine. And it is working just fine.

Anyone throwing around terms like "SJW" is just as bad an extremist as Stephen A, just to the opposite extreme.

Fact is (or WAS), the NFL really was a good ol boys club. Hard to break into for anyone from the outside. The Rooney Rule opened doors to interviews and made Front Offices familiar with coaches they may never had met without it.

So Stephen A, and the Rule Haters, can all quit crying. Live your lives.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

serious question...

I can only speak for myself. I was most definitely the latter and worse off than that. I grew up in the 70s/80s. Given where I grew up, I was under the impression for most of my life that everything I achieved was simply due to my awesomeness and a lot of it was. Now that I'm older, I can look back and say that being a fairly well-spoken white-guy has offered me a relatively frictionless life. It is impossible for me to say which opportunities I may have been denied or what other hurdles I would have had to clear if I was black. I have only walked in my shoes. But I listen in when black people describe their experiences and I try to process it all. I try to process what it means when a black mother tells her son he needs to be perfect because society (generally) won't tolerate anything less from a black male.

There was a great NYT piece that statistically showed that black kids who have wealthy parents have much poorer outcomes and are much more likely to drop income levels than comparable white kids. 

What is missing in your scenario is education. If you told me both kids took their k-12 education seriously, then I would say the latter will have infinitely more privilege than the former. However, if the latter doesn't value their education, then it comes dicier.

16 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Don't bother with this schmuck. 

I like him/her. I think I will bother.

• Awesome! (+1) 2