Bills in Playoffs 2 of 5 Seasons in the Pegula Era

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Yes, but no need to throw turds at him, in my opinion. Everything that happened before is a sunk cost and we’re in good shape now. I love the Pegulas and also appreciate Ralph for keeping them here as long as he did. 

A lot of that was Russ Brandon doing everything he could to make the team more profitable... the issue they created by doing that was things like "cash-to-cap" where we wouldn't use any excess cap room year to year.  This puts you at a huge disadvantage from a free agency/extension standpoint.  When we drafted someone good - they left in 4 or 5 years or whatever.  Otherwise we missed anywayl.

Between that strategy, the Toronto strategy of selling home games for money, the inability to bring in solid football people to scout/evaluate/coach for a 20 something year period..  It's not really Wilsons fault - he was a hands off owner regarding building his team for the most part.  I think the only thing he said was basically - the money out can't exceed the money in.  There were ways to do this that weren't selling home games and signing splash FA's like TO.  We spent all this time worrying about how to balance those sheets that the team was just.. crappy. 

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Yeah but bottom line... he was a terrible owner and much good as he did keeping the Bills in Buffalo, he tarnished the franchise badly after firing Tom Donahoe.

Some of the decisions and hiring that Ralph made were really bad.

As much as everyone says the Bills “backed into the playoffs” in 2017, they did so by winning enough and beating the teams they should have beaten.  

There’s numerous times in every coaches tenure where teams lost important games.

About beating good teams - they’ll only go so far as their QB

False.  Everyone would have to include me.  I don't say that. Never have, never will.

If you think we can only go as far as our QB will take us is it OK to trash out Josh if we lose?

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

False.  Everyone would have to include me.  I don't say that. Never have, never will.

If you think we can only go as far as our QB will take us is it OK to trash out Josh if we lose?

It all depends HOW we lose.  If the Bills are getting beat 35-32 every game, it will be hard to fault Josh.

If they continue to get beat by scores like 22-19 to a lower-ranked defense, it’s going to make you wonder

23 minutes ago, dneveu said:

A lot of that was Russ Brandon doing everything he could to make the team more profitable... the issue they created by doing that was things like "cash-to-cap" where we wouldn't use any excess cap room year to year.  This puts you at a huge disadvantage from a free agency/extension standpoint.  When we drafted someone good - they left in 4 or 5 years or whatever.  Otherwise we missed anywayl.

Between that strategy, the Toronto strategy of selling home games for money, the inability to bring in solid football people to scout/evaluate/coach for a 20 something year period..  It's not really Wilsons fault - he was a hands off owner regarding building his team for the most part.  I think the only thing he said was basically - the money out can't exceed the money in.  There were ways to do this that weren't selling home games and signing splash FA's like TO.  We spent all this time worrying about how to balance those sheets that the team was just.. crappy. 

No I don’t agree with this narrative at all.  You make it sound like Ralph was powerless and chose to give full autonomy.  This wasn’t the case, as Ralph was known to meddle in coaching decisions going back to the Polian years through the week of the Music City Miracle.  He was also allegedly known for wanting to draft running backs high in the draft  given his fondness for a player like OJ and the Electric Company back in the day.

After Butler was fired, Ralph brought in Tom Donahoe and President and gave him more power and control than he ever had.  At the time he was a “hot” GM candidate, so this wasn’t a terrible move.  

But the results were not great.  The Bills floated around 7-9 to 9-7 for his 5 years - largely due to poor coaching hires.  Plus long time Bills employees said Donahoe was an absolute AHole to work for.  People at OBD that Ralph was close to were miserable.  So he fired Donahoe and he would never hire someone from the outside to run the organization again until Russ took over as President.  This resulted in Ralph empowering the wrong people who made poor decisions terrible decisions because they were unqualified.  

Marv Levy was a terrible choice for GM who made bad picks and hired a bad coach in Dick Jauron 

Ralph refuses to hire a replacement for Marv, would not fire Jauron he should have to save $$$$ and made Russ Brandon GM who was completely unqualified.  

Russ then empowered Buddy Nix as GM who had worked as a Bills scout and floundered in the position, which included hiring another bad coaching in Chan Gailey.  But Ralph knew Buddy and trusted him!  

Russ did bring in Doug Whaley from Pittsburgh to takeover for Buddy, which wasn’t a terrible idea in theory - but the results were terrible.  

This is a huge reason why the Bills had a playoff drought - Ralph empowered the wrong people to make decisions for the franchise.  

13 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

No I don’t agree with this narrative at all.  You make it sound like Ralph was powerless and chose to give full autonomy.  This wasn’t the case, as Ralph was known to meddle in coaching decisions going back to the Polian years through the week of the Music City Miracle.  He was also allegedly known for wanting to draft running backs high in the draft  given his fondness for a player like OJ and the Electric Company back in the day.

After Butler was fired, Ralph brought in Tom Donahoe and President and gave him more power and control than he ever had.  At the time he was a “hot” GM candidate, so this wasn’t a terrible move.  

But the results were not great.  The Bills floated around 7-9 to 9-7 for his 5 years - largely due to poor coaching hires.  Plus long time Bills employees said Donahoe was an absolute AHole to work for.  People at OBD that Ralph was close to were miserable.  So he fired Donahoe and he would never hire someone from the outside to run the organization again until Russ took over as President.  This resulted in Ralph empowering the wrong people who made poor decisions terrible decisions because they were unqualified.  

Marv Levy was a terrible choice for GM who made bad picks and hired a bad coach in Dick Jauron 

Ralph refuses to hire a replacement for Marv, would not fire Jauron he should have to save $$$$ and made Russ Brandon GM who was completely unqualified.  

Russ then empowered Buddy Nix as GM who had worked as a Bills scout and floundered in the position, which included hiring another bad coaching in Chan Gailey.  But Ralph knew Buddy and trusted him!  

Russ did bring in Doug Whaley from Pittsburgh to takeover for Buddy, which wasn’t a terrible idea in theory - but the results were terrible.  

This is a huge reason why the Bills had a playoff drought - Ralph empowered the wrong people to make decisions for the franchise.  

Buddy’s Show me the baby and coach Dickerson oinking before playing the skins and Rex’s foot fetish/tandem biking could only happen in Buffalo.

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It all depends HOW we lose.  If the Bills are getting beat 35-32 every game, it will be hard to fault Josh.

If they continue to get beat by scores like 22-19 to a lower-ranked defense, it’s going to make you wonder

If Josh is THE GUY we should win more of those than we lose.  QBs job is to win.