2020 Mock Off-Season

elijah

we would be the laughing stock of the league if we gave Allen a contract extension this offseason and made him the 6th highest paid QB

let him sit on his rookie contract, it's there for a reason. we don't owe Allen anything, he has yet to prove he is a franchise QB here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

A lot to chew on there......I really dont want to see Lee Smith back.......Robert Foster needs to come back REALLY cheap because I have lost all faith in him as a player in this offense.

Based on these players I would think WR and RB would have to be big time needs in the draft.   I really wish Andre Roberts was more then just the ace on special teams returns at this point......I am wondering why he is not a better offensive player.

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Spotrac projects Miilano to 4 years 53 mill.  13.3 per year 

When did they put the project for Milano up? I was looking for it when I made my excel sheet ( about a week ago) but there was only a few projected players done 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

And I said he is not better than what we have on the roster. You want real improvement in the position your Target should be Hooper and Henry. 

You don't think Ebron would be an upgrade over Lee Smith? I like Sweeney, but I would say that an Ebron would draw more attention and be more of a threat than Sweeney as of right now. I would be ecstatic with Henry or Hooper. I would be happy with Ebron as well.

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

we would be the laughing stock of the league if we gave Allen a contract extension this offseason and made him the 6th highest paid QB

let him sit on his rookie contract, it's there for a reason. we don't owe Allen anything, he has yet to prove he is a franchise QB here. 

A. We can't extend Allen this offseason by rule. A player on a rookie deal must play 3 years before being extended. 

B. That is not what the post suggested anyway. It suggested extending Allen in 2022 (by which I take it to mean after the 2021 season). 

Just a point for the OP - I think we are going to extend Dawkins this offseason. They don't want him playing on the final year of his deal in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I’m not suggesting to resign Allen this off-season, I’m suggesting we resign Allen in 2022 to this money. 

Its to account for it early so as too not overspend in the long run. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NC Book said:

You don't think Ebron would be an upgrade over Lee Smith? I like Sweeney, but I would say that an Ebron would draw more attention and be more of a threat than Sweeney as of right now. I would be ecstatic with Henry or Hooper. I would be happy with Ebron as well.

Different Skill Set. Can’t compare an inline blocking TE to a Flex TE. 

so if they sign Ebron to do what Lee Smith does NO HE would NOT be an upgrade 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NC Book said:

Ebron and Lee Smith essentially play different positions. Lee Smith is an inline blocking tight end. Ebron is a split end. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I think you are about right with Milano at 8M AVV right now.  I don't think you are with Shaq.  He is going to get 10M AVV on open market

Does it really matter is he gets open if he drops (5 this year) it or cant catch it

Knox had 6 drops and a 56% Catch Rate

Ebron had 5 drops and a 59.6% catch rate

Knox =  Ebron just younger and cheaper

I realize Knox has had some whiffs.....but I would still put him as a much better blocker then Ebron.

but offensively your point is well taken

58 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think the actual contracts that will be given to Milano, Poyer Shaq and Dawkins are going to surprise you.  You’re undervaluing all of them on an open market.  Actual worth, you might be close.  Bidding wars will change that

No bidding war if they accept extensions before their contracts run out (Dawkins Milano)

Is Poyer great or is he a really good systems fit? I think he stays at between 7 and 9m per for 4 yrs he knows the grass ain't always greener elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I realize Knox has had some whiffs.....but I would still put him as a much better blocker then Ebron.

but offensively your point is well taken

this wasn’t meant to be a dig at Knox. Only TE they should be after in UFA is someone better than Knox. Ebron isn’t better than Knox. 

knox is younger, cheaper and higher upside than Ebron and essentially already at Enron’s Level as a rookie. That is what I was getting at with this post. 

Just now, JMF2006 said:

No bidding war if they accept extensions before their contracts run out (Dawkins Milano)

Is Poyer great or is he a really good systems fit? I think he stays at between 7 and 9m per for 4 yrs he knows the grass ain't always greener elsewhere.

IMO you are only paying one of the two Safeties (because of the system). So who is more important Hyde or Poyer. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

When did they put the project for Milano up? I was looking for it when I made my excel sheet ( about a week ago) but there was only a few projected players done 

Dunno.  It’s up now

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Different Skill Set. Can’t compare an inline blocking TE to a Flex TE. 

so if they sign Ebron to do what Lee Smith does NO HE would NOT be an upgrade 

I think I would sacrifice what Lee Smith brings in blocking to have the versatility that Ebron would bring to the offense. I think the 2019 Bills would score more ppg with Ebron in the lineup rather than Smith. Maybe only slightly, but I think it would be more. If that would be the case he would be an upgrade imo.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

this wasn’t meant to be a dig at Knox. Only TE they should be after in UFA is someone better than Knox. Ebron isn’t better than Knox. 

knox is younger, cheaper and higher upside than Ebron and essentially already at Enron’s Level as a rookie. That is what I was getting at with this post. 

IMO you are only paying one of the two Safeties (because of the system). So who is more important Hyde or Poyer. 

I think its Hyde

1 minute ago, NC Book said:

I think I would sacrifice what Lee Smith brings in blocking to have the versatility that Ebron would bring to the offense. I think the 2019 Bills would score more ppg with Ebron in the lineup rather than Smith. Maybe only slightly, but I think it would be more. If that would be the case he would be an upgrade imo.

I don’t. Ebron can’t block to save his life. 

2 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I think its Hyde

me too I think The Rookie they kept on the 53 all year Jaquan Johnson is anticipated to take over for Poyer or Neal when they don’t pay Poyer 

We have 3 more seasons to load up our roster with all pro talent and win the super bowl.  3 seasons of Allen on his rookie deal then he gets a big payday.  After that, this team will be 100% dependant on Allen. 

So Beane needs to load up on talent NOW.  We MUST retain our good guys or find BETTER ones if we let them walk. It has to be done THIS offseason because, it takes a season to gain chemistry and gel with your teamates.  There won't be result immediately.  It will take a while.  So by 2021, this team will be ready to rock.  

This off-season for FA and draft, and next year's (2021) draft and that's it.  That's when this team must be built to win a Superbowl.  If we don't, the plan has failed.

So sign someone like Amari Cooper.  Sign someone like Clowney, especially if Shaq walks.  Sign the best free agent RT.   Set up the contracts so they can be cut/traded after 2022 with no cap hit, so that they don't mess with our cap situation when Allen needs his contract.  

Then you draft WR and pass rusher in a draft loaded with those players. 

It really must be done.  MUST

• Like (+1) 3

Like Case Keenum idea. I bet they keep Levi Wallace and Spain. 

Hope they sign a starting OL (don’t care if OG or OT). I also think Ford comes back strong in his 2nd season, as well as Knox, Oliver, Joseph, Johnson and Sweeney. 

I would like to see a big time pass rushing DE in free agency and also a big DT to replace Jordan Phillips...he’s too inconsistent for me. 

I think they draft 2 WRs, a DE, a RB, a CB, and LB at the top of their draft. 

1 hour ago, elijah said:

Quinton Spain is going to ask for much more money than he’s worth.  Probably upwards of 3 years at $8+ per year, and I think Beane proved his ability to find offensive lineman at value this past off-season.  

Firstly.. thanks for the effort in the first post... always enjoy reading peoples thoughts in this area, particularly when they are as well throught and as detailed as yours...

I want to question you on Spain though...

He has already come out and said he wants to stay in Buffalo and is  prepared to get a deal done prior to FA starting... So I think your figures of what his expecations may be are on the high side...

Also,.. not sure if you have seen this, but a couple of his influential team mates love him... Now I know that they are not going to come out and say anything negative about him, but the comments seem more positive than you usually see...

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/06/buffalo-bills-quinton-spain-back-mitch-morse-josh-allen/

We’d love to have him back. He deserves to get paid this offseason. The guy started every game, I don’t know if he missed a snap. A great person to be around, smart as hell, he made this offensive line so much better, helped me out a lot. I owe a lot to Quinton Spain,” center Mitch Morse

Buffalo quarterback Josh Allen echoed Morse, calling Spain someone he could depend upon.

“He’s been awesome for us. Just his mindset, his attitude, the way he plays, he brings a fire. He’s a really good dude, too,” Allen said. “I love him and I wish we’d get him back too. I know it’s the nature of the business. If I had a say, we’d have in back.”

Look.. he is not going to play for nothing ,so I think if they really want him they would need to make an offer that is fair... I would put this at 3 years $20Mil...$10 MIl guaranteed.... Ive got that from John Miller getting paid 3 years $16.5Mil in FA last year  who I would rate as a much lesser player..  

It seems to me that most people dont want to pay him even half that as he is just an "average" player at the position.. .

The issue is though that he was brought in on a "prove it ' deal on chump change, and he has proven it in my eyes.,.

It looks at odds to the message that they want to send of guys getting a chance and proving themselves...  It may set a bad example if they dont make a genuine attempt to keep him and just let him walk out the door into Free Agency...

• Like (+1) 1

Alot to take in.  I think White is extended and that's it.  The rest of the guys pick up options, offer tenders.  Spain, Lawson  I could see an early pick on tackle move Ford to guard.  Obvious needs imo, Wr, Rb, OT, LB and Cb.