Final Rational Thoughts for the 2019-20 Season

corta765

This will be my final rational thoughts post for the 2019-20 season. It has been a pleasure having some great conversations with everyone and it has made the season quite fun. I will be moving into my offseason mode where the majority of my posts are schedule related because I spend WAYY too much time analyzing it. The first three posts here are game related and the rest are the season. Cheers!

Playoff game

1.       No way around it the Bills choked and they missed a big opportunity to move forward. It has already been analyzed thoroughly by others so I won’t go into the details but this team fell apart when they typically had been their strongest. On the 1st drive to tie the game I had no doubt Allen was going to get a TD to win instead. On his first OT drive I believed he would get the win. The defense I swore was going to hold Houston and not let them get the 2 pt conversion, force a FG instead of TD, hold on 3rd and 18, not allow Watson to scramble out of a sack etc.. To this teams credit when it hit crunch time they've made me believe not doubt. To this teams criticism they looked too big for the moment and they missed. I believe in the future big time and where they can go, but you only get the season you have in front of you. The Bills probably were not going to the Super Bowl but I would’ve rather played this weekend then not had the chance to fail. Next year could be great, next year could be a disaster, the defense was relatively injury free and they had some good luck in close games they could’ve lost. They had a big chance after making the playoffs to win a game for the first time and 25 years and they blew it. That sucks it still hurts days later.

2.       Allen put his rollercoaster style on full display. Overall I was not disappointed with Josh. He had a role in them not closing the deal, BUT he did lead the team to tie the game, he was let down by some awful drops, and his blocking failed him including on the sweep which would’ve iced the game in OT. He will learn from this I am actually more encouraged by his performance then discouraged.

3.       I generally do not blame the defense. They allowed 19 pts total in regulation and gave the offense numerous chances to close the deal. I will say some of their best players Tre, Milano, and Poyer all had their worst moments at absolutely the worst times. I thought Edmunds over pursued at points and Houston took advantage of that. Levi Wallace being out and Taron Johnson going out hurt the defense and showed CB is a problem without them. Still I look at the names I just typed and they are soo young that this experience should help. People are going to bash Daboll and I hated his insistence on running Gore and his lack of running Singletary in OT was mind blowing. But I will say the offenses issues from the 2nd half on were far more execution related then coaching.

Regular Season

4.       I would grade the season as a B+. Massive strides were made and you cannot undersell how big it is that they made the playoffs a second time in 3 seasons, made the playoffs without a crazy play getting them in, won on primetime on the road in PIT to clinch the playoffs, won primetime on the road in DAL, the offense improved from doormats to OK where you were more frustrated because they can do more (that’s a good thing), the defense was top 5 and very good, AND they played a highly competitive playoff game which took an OT to knock them out. I cannot give an A or A- because they did not win the division, did not win a playoff game, and they couldn’t beat NE or BAL despite three big opportunities where they were oh so close to doing so. That’s the next step and they are knocking on the door, finish the job in 2020.

5.       Allen was a B grade to me. Last year he was a C- showing tons of promise but little consistency with nothing of substance to help him at the skill positions. He showed with better weapons he can do more and certainly evolved into a talented game manager. That’s not a slight because he can do a lot and was a piece to the team winning. I want him to become the reason though, game managers are rarely the reason for wins while franchise guys are. He absolutely needs a bigger WR who can be the #1 guy though. The throw to Duke Williams in the endzone that Duke couldn’t hang onto is what the top WRs do. The biggest thing I think that will help Allen and this is more on the OC, but is running the offense with a quicker tempo more regularly. He really did well when he was in a quasi-hurry up offense and his decision making absolutely was good there. Also do not undersell how big of a deal it is that the Bills found and drafted a QB who helped them to the playoffs for the first time since Kelly.

6.       Of the 3 years Poyer and Hyde have been in Buffalo this felt like their weakest year for me which is weird to say. I have thought for a while that Hyde has an injury as he has seemed a half a step off all season and Poyer had some rough games here. You could list quite a few plays where one of them missed or blew coverage this year with the Hurst TD being probably the worst of all. I wonder if with the rest of the roster on defense upgraded with far more talent than their first year, they do not have as many opportunities to make plays so you notice their faults more. If you have to keep one I am keeping Hyde and drafting a replacement for Poyer. Hyde has that overarching coverage ability that you do not get with Poyer. In no way do I want Poyer gone and I hope they sign him. But he could get a decent payday and I could see the Bills being priced out. Remember the Bills drafted Jarius Byrd & Aaron Williams within a few years of each other. McD’s scheme also helps to make the safeties have opportunities for big plays.

7.       I went to the Miami home game and left saying they have to learn the killer instinct on offense or they will get burnt eventually by it. The playoffs they finally got burnt by it and there was other games where a killer instinct for more points earlier would’ve helped closed things earlier. I want to attribute that to the offense learning and growing, but it will be the difference next year to their success regardless.

8.       The Bills were very healthy all year and I think a portion of that is the new facility they created and the other piece is the coaches telling the players to not fear the doctors and get themselves treated. Teams with good defenses usually are helped by a clean bill of health and outside of losing Harry for the year they seemed to manage the team better than any point I can remember as a fan. Keep in mind next year they probably will not have as great of injury luck so it will be crucial Beane adds the proper depth to help.

9.       If you told me at the start of the year Robert Foster would finish with just 64 yards and 3 receptions I would’ve been stunned. Brown and Beasley certainly took throws away, but I would’ve thought that with the additional weapons it would’ve opened up more chances. Instead he looks more like a flash in the pan and was rarely on the field to any great length. Duke Williams feels like he has come in Fosters spot and I expect a top drafted WR to probably bump him off the roster completely. Too bad Foster was a really fun player I wanted to see workout.

10.   4-3* at home (I don’t count the Jets loss we were not playing for anything) is OK but I would’ve like to seen the Bills defend home a little better. Had they won one of PHI/NE/BAL they take the division and having those games at home make you feel like missed opportunities all over. Again this is one of those next step type things, but the best teams turn home field into a place the opposition virtually never wins at.

11.   Singletary is going to be oh so good. He could slip through a phone book he’s that good at evading tackles.

12.   In general Beane and McD have done a tremendous job in the draft at finding talent in the draft. From 2017-19 they’ve added White, Milano, Edmunds, Knox, Singletary, Allen, T. Johnson, Dawkins, Phillips, & Oliver all who were starters this year. That is how you build a true core to work with long term. I am very excited to see how they keep drafting given they can basically go BPA now which is how you find even more stars.

Until next season Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

11.   Singletary is going to be oh so good. He could slip through a phone book he’s that good at evading tackles.

Thats a pretty good summary of his ability. Told a couple of fans of other teams during the playoff game "you'll know who he is next year if you dont already"

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I don't know what this means.  He's so good, he's unlisted?

You must explain this, OP. I won't be able to sleep tonight until I understand A) how one could slip through a phone book and B) why said phone book would be good at tackling in the first place. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

You must explain this, OP. I won't be able to sleep tonight until I understand A) how one could slip through a phone book and B) why said phone book would be good at tackling in the first place. 

Haha well a normal human could not go through a phone book, but Singletary is so shifty he can. OR he is really good at finding holes in places that don't exist and evading tackles :)

12 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Haha well a normal human could not go through a phone book, but Singletary is so shifty he can. OR he is really good at finding holes in places that don't exist and evading tackles :)

Do you actually have a phone book?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

This will be my final rational thoughts post for the 2019-20 season. It has been a pleasure having some great conversations with everyone and it has made the season quite fun. I will be moving into my offseason mode where the majority of my posts are schedule related because I spend WAYY too much time analyzing it. The first three posts here are game related and the rest are the season. Cheers!

Playoff game

1.       No way around it the Bills choked and they missed a big opportunity to move forward. It has already been analyzed thoroughly by others so I won’t go into the details but this team fell apart when they typically had been their strongest. On the 1st drive to tie the game I had no doubt Allen was going to get a TD to win instead. On his first OT drive I believed he would get the win. The defense I swore was going to hold Houston and not let them get the 2 pt conversion, force a FG instead of TD, hold on 3rd and 18, not allow Watson to scramble out of a sack etc.. To this teams credit when it hit crunch time they've made me believe not doubt. To this teams criticism they looked too big for the moment and they missed. I believe in the future big time and where they can go, but you only get the season you have in front of you. The Bills probably were not going to the Super Bowl but I would’ve rather played this weekend then not had the chance to fail. Next year could be great, next year could be a disaster, the defense was relatively injury free and they had some good luck in close games they could’ve lost. They had a big chance after making the playoffs to win a game for the first time and 25 years and they blew it. That sucks it still hurts days later.

2.       Allen put his rollercoaster style on full display. Overall I was not disappointed with Josh. He had a role in them not closing the deal, BUT he did lead the team to tie the game, he was let down by some awful drops, and his blocking failed him including on the sweep which would’ve iced the game in OT. He will learn from this I am actually more encouraged by his performance then discouraged.

3.       I generally do not blame the defense. They allowed 19 pts total in regulation and gave the offense numerous chances to close the deal. I will say some of their best players Tre, Milano, and Poyer all had their worst moments at absolutely the worst times. I thought Edmunds over pursued at points and Houston took advantage of that. Levi Wallace being out and Taron Johnson going out hurt the defense and showed CB is a problem without them. Still I look at the names I just typed and they are soo young that this experience should help. People are going to bash Daboll and I hated his insistence on running Gore and his lack of running Singletary in OT was mind blowing. But I will say the offenses issues from the 2nd half on were far more execution related then coaching.

Regular Season

4.       I would grade the season as a B+. Massive strides were made and you cannot undersell how big it is that they made the playoffs a second time in 3 seasons, made the playoffs without a crazy play getting them in, won on primetime on the road in PIT to clinch the playoffs, won primetime on the road in DAL, the offense improved from doormats to OK where you were more frustrated because they can do more (that’s a good thing), the defense was top 5 and very good, AND they played a highly competitive playoff game which took an OT to knock them out. I cannot give an A or A- because they did not win the division, did not win a playoff game, and they couldn’t beat NE or BAL despite three big opportunities where they were oh so close to doing so. That’s the next step and they are knocking on the door, finish the job in 2020.

5.       Allen was a B grade to me. Last year he was a C- showing tons of promise but little consistency with nothing of substance to help him at the skill positions. He showed with better weapons he can do more and certainly evolved into a talented game manager. That’s not a slight because he can do a lot and was a piece to the team winning. I want him to become the reason though, game managers are rarely the reason for wins while franchise guys are. He absolutely needs a bigger WR who can be the #1 guy though. The throw to Duke Williams in the endzone that Duke couldn’t hang onto is what the top WRs do. The biggest thing I think that will help Allen and this is more on the OC, but is running the offense with a quicker tempo more regularly. He really did well when he was in a quasi-hurry up offense and his decision making absolutely was good there. Also do not undersell how big of a deal it is that the Bills found and drafted a QB who helped them to the playoffs for the first time since Kelly.

6.       Of the 3 years Poyer and Hyde have been in Buffalo this felt like their weakest year for me which is weird to say. I have thought for a while that Hyde has an injury as he has seemed a half a step off all season and Poyer had some rough games here. You could list quite a few plays where one of them missed or blew coverage this year with the Hurst TD being probably the worst of all. I wonder if with the rest of the roster on defense upgraded with far more talent than their first year, they do not have as many opportunities to make plays so you notice their faults more. If you have to keep one I am keeping Hyde and drafting a replacement for Poyer. Hyde has that overarching coverage ability that you do not get with Poyer. In no way do I want Poyer gone and I hope they sign him. But he could get a decent payday and I could see the Bills being priced out. Remember the Bills drafted Jarius Byrd & Aaron Williams within a few years of each other. McD’s scheme also helps to make the safeties have opportunities for big plays.

7.       I went to the Miami home game and left saying they have to learn the killer instinct on offense or they will get burnt eventually by it. The playoffs they finally got burnt by it and there was other games where a killer instinct for more points earlier would’ve helped closed things earlier. I want to attribute that to the offense learning and growing, but it will be the difference next year to their success regardless.

8.       The Bills were very healthy all year and I think a portion of that is the new facility they created and the other piece is the coaches telling the players to not fear the doctors and get themselves treated. Teams with good defenses usually are helped by a clean bill of health and outside of losing Harry for the year they seemed to manage the team better than any point I can remember as a fan. Keep in mind next year they probably will not have as great of injury luck so it will be crucial Beane adds the proper depth to help.

9.       If you told me at the start of the year Robert Foster would finish with just 64 yards and 3 receptions I would’ve been stunned. Brown and Beasley certainly took throws away, but I would’ve thought that with the additional weapons it would’ve opened up more chances. Instead he looks more like a flash in the pan and was rarely on the field to any great length. Duke Williams feels like he has come in Fosters spot and I expect a top drafted WR to probably bump him off the roster completely. Too bad Foster was a really fun player I wanted to see workout.

10.   4-3* at home (I don’t count the Jets loss we were not playing for anything) is OK but I would’ve like to seen the Bills defend home a little better. Had they won one of PHI/NE/BAL they take the division and having those games at home make you feel like missed opportunities all over. Again this is one of those next step type things, but the best teams turn home field into a place the opposition virtually never wins at.

12.   In general Beane and McD have done a tremendous job in the draft at finding talent in the draft. From 2017-19 they’ve added White, Milano, Edmunds, Knox, Singletary, Allen, T. Johnson, Dawkins, Phillips, & Oliver all who were starters this year. That is how you build a true core to work with long term. I am very excited to see how they keep drafting given they can basically go BPA now which is how you find even more stars.

I don’t think Poyer gets a second contract with the Bills

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

.....damn nice work bud!.......well thought out, accurate and fair assessment.......NOT CRITICIZING, but many TBDers said 5-11, 6-10, 7-9 or maybe 8-8 (sure there were others better, but several in the aforementioned block)......tons of newness, 2 returning starters on offense, new coaches, etc...you get the picture.....10-6 with game 17 meaningless "ain't too bad"....but of course, the Negative Nellies" want to focus on our "easy/didn't play anybody" schedule, etc......YAWN......I'd seriously say the Beane/McDermott duo challenges the Polian Era and is (OBVIOUSLY) light years ahead of the post Polian "F Troop" misfits purportedly running the show (into the ground sounds right).....compass points NORTH as in UP I would say....stay tuned............

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

Playoff game

Regular Season

This is a very nice summary .. but aren't you aware that at twobillsdrive rational thoughts are frowned upon .. shame on you for taking us here :)

• Like (+1) 1

That's a really good write-up, on both the playoff game & regular season.  I'm also still hurting.  It was right there for the taking, and we had a puncher's chance against every team the rest of the way.  It would be a lot of fun to be playing this weekend.

I tend to think "choke" is a little strong, but get the characterization.  Houston has a bunch of gamers on their team, too - they seized momentum and hung onto it, which is easier to do at home.  I thought the Bills fought back, and if that stupid call isn't made on Ford, we're probably talking about how resilient they were and how they took Houston's best and still gutted it out.

Obviously, all that remains is optimism for the future, and this time it's grounded in something real.  We have a good brain trust now, who I have no doubt will make the moves needed to put this team over the top.  And you can count me as one of those who is bullish on Allen. I love his attitude and fierce determination to learn & grow from his mistakes.  I think the silver lining of this loss - and the way we lost - is that it will fuel him to be even better.

Hi,  Good post. 

"Of the 3 years Poyer and Hyde have been in Buffalo this felt like their weakest year for me which is weird to say. I have thought for a while that Hyde has an injury as he has seemed a half a step off all season and Poyer had some rough games here. You could list quite a few plays where one of them missed or blew coverage this year with the Hurst TD being probably the worst of all. I wonder if with the rest of the roster on defense upgraded with far more talent than their first year, they do not have as many opportunities to make plays so you notice their faults more. If you have to keep one I am keeping Hyde and drafting a replacement for Poyer. Hyde has that overarching coverage ability that you do not get with Poyer. In no way do I want Poyer gone and I hope they sign him. But he could get a decent payday and I could see the Bills being priced out. Remember the Bills drafted Jarius Byrd & Aaron Williams within a few years of each other. McD’s scheme also helps to make the safeties have opportunities for big plays. "

You're kind of writing as though the Bills have to sign Poyer to keep him next year.  Poyer is under contract with the Bills through 2020.

He wants an extension and a pay raise and that would def. be a goodwill gesture, but he either plays for Buffalo, gets traded/cut, or sits out next year.

Maybe it's just my reading, but if I'm interpreting correctly you might want to verify contract status in Spotrac or Overthecap if you're going to continue to write up.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hi,  Good post. 

"Of the 3 years Poyer and Hyde have been in Buffalo this felt like their weakest year for me which is weird to say. I have thought for a while that Hyde has an injury as he has seemed a half a step off all season and Poyer had some rough games here. You could list quite a few plays where one of them missed or blew coverage this year with the Hurst TD being probably the worst of all. I wonder if with the rest of the roster on defense upgraded with far more talent than their first year, they do not have as many opportunities to make plays so you notice their faults more. If you have to keep one I am keeping Hyde and drafting a replacement for Poyer. Hyde has that overarching coverage ability that you do not get with Poyer. In no way do I want Poyer gone and I hope they sign him. But he could get a decent payday and I could see the Bills being priced out. Remember the Bills drafted Jarius Byrd & Aaron Williams within a few years of each other. McD’s scheme also helps to make the safeties have opportunities for big plays. "

You're kind of writing as though the Bills have to sign Poyer to keep him next year.  Poyer is under contract with the Bills through 2020.

He wants an extension and a pay raise and that would def. be a goodwill gesture, but he either plays for Buffalo, gets traded/cut, or sits out next year.

Maybe it's just my reading, but if I'm interpreting correctly you might want to verify contract status in Spotrac or Overthecap if you're going to continue to write up.

sorry should’ve referenced after this year. I’ve read it’s possible buffalo drafts a safety and cuts Poyer so I’m semi referencing that and also when his contract expires. Otherwise your right we do have him another year but if they pay Tre Day, Poyer will want more

14 minutes ago, corta765 said:

sorry should’ve referenced after this year. I’ve read it’s possible buffalo drafts a safety and cuts Poyer so I’m semi referencing that and also when his contract expires. Otherwise your right we do have him another year but if they pay Tre Day, Poyer will want more

Also possible that Jaquan Johnson could end up being a better player than Poyer, and at the right time too.

Edited by Rico

Young, good, core is growing and improving.  A few peices improving a couple position turns Buffalo into a real contender.  I think Wr, Rb, Ot, LB and Cb are brought in and the draft improves team depth.  I expect Beane to bring in vets at all of those positions and 1 or 2 of them high profile players.

The forgotten man on this year's team is Spain.  He played all the time -- maybe 100% of the snaps, I'm not sure -- and I hardly ever heard his name called, which for an O lineman means he didn't screw up.  I read that he didn't give up ANY sacks this year.  Isn't he good enough to get the kind of attention our other FAs get?  He seems to be invisible which is amazing for such a large human.  

It's not really clear what will happen with Ford next year.  Spain and Feliciano seem to have the starting guard positions nailed down, and Ford seems a long way from being an NFL-capable tackle.  Does our second round pick become a backup player, because we got two FAs who are better than he is?  It seems like he's a very good guard but could still end up looking like a bust.  Or maybe either Spain or Feliciano head out, and Ford takes over.