Small Town office dilemma

BringBackFergy

Apparently, you and your staff are far too polite.

I’d just tell her to leave (unless your business is a church or charity), and lock the door after her. Or, lock the door as she approaches. You could also install a camera and buzzer lock and then never buzz her in. ? Or, how about a staff meeting as soon as she walks in the door. “Sorry, we need to lock up now! Bub-bye!”

You could always bill her for chat time. That would certainly send a message (although it would also bring her to your door in a tizzy, so maybe not).

28 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Is she hot?

Ugh....ugh....define HOT

28 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I’d just tell her to leave (unless your business is a church or charity), and lock the door after her. Or, lock the door as she approaches. You could also install a camera and buzzer lock and then never buzz her in. ? Or, how about a staff meeting as soon as she walks in the door. “Sorry, we need to lock up now! Bub-bye!”

You could always bill her for chat time. That would certainly send a message (although it would also bring her to your door in a tizzy, so maybe not).

It's a very unique situation...she's somewhat of a charity case in our town (so the "tough as nails approach" wouldn't fly in a small community). But she doesn't stop in at the pizza joint, the bank or other buildings...just mine.  I can overhear my assistants just saying "ohhhh" or "uh huh", meanwhile this lady talks a mile a minute about her day. It's funny and frustrating at the same time.

What's a secretary????

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

There's this one lady that walks in off the street and talks to my secretaries for 20-30 minutes every other day or so...it's soooo frustrating. My office is upstairs and I can hear her talk and talk about stuff around town.

My secretaries try their best to "politely" break the conversation but she keeps going. I've even called my own office phone number on my cell phone upstairs, it rings through and one secretary answers the phone (to indicate she's busy) but she continues talking to the other secretary.

One of my secretaries has hidden under her desk when she sees her coming across the street to my office. The other runs to the bathroom. She announces her appearance and then I go down and talk with her for ten mins until the phone rings (from my secretary on her cell phone under her desk) and it is dead silence. I have to pretend I'm talking to someone. She waits for three or four minutes until I start jotting down notes on paper indicating the call will take awhile.

She's also a doorway diddler: "Well, just thought I'd stop in and give you an update. I have to go now...(door halfway open and cold air rushes in)....ohh, I forgot to tell you, the town is planning a....blah, blah, blah"

I may need some advice on how best to stop this treachery. Any other horror stories out there like this one?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

There's this one lady that walks in off the street and talks to my secretaries for 20-30 minutes every other day or so...it's soooo frustrating. My office is upstairs and I can hear her talk and talk about stuff around town.

My secretaries try their best to "politely" break the conversation but she keeps going. I've even called my own office phone number on my cell phone upstairs, it rings through and one secretary answers the phone (to indicate she's busy) but she continues talking to the other secretary.

One of my secretaries has hidden under her desk when she sees her coming across the street to my office. The other runs to the bathroom. She announces her appearance and then I go down and talk with her for ten mins until the phone rings (from my secretary on her cell phone under her desk) and it is dead silence. I have to pretend I'm talking to someone. She waits for three or four minutes until I start jotting down notes on paper indicating the call will take awhile.

She's also a doorway diddler: "Well, just thought I'd stop in and give you an update. I have to go now...(door halfway open and cold air rushes in)....ohh, I forgot to tell you, the town is planning a....blah, blah, blah"

I may need some advice on how best to stop this treachery. Any other horror stories out there like this one?

I think the message should come directly from you.

You're a nice guy and have a comforting personality.  I think you should tell her that you enjoy her visits.  But gently remind her that it is a place of employment and it's how you make your living.  Tell her that your secretaries have things to do while they're in the office and a quick "hello, how are ya," is one thing ... but an extended conversation can't be the norm.

Tell her that, once in a while, there will be days where she can hang out longer than others.  But that if there's work to be done, you or one of the girls is gonna have to tell her that they can't talk right now ... and ask her if she understands.

This way, you're not being mean.  You're not telling her to stop coming by.  You're simply asking her to understand that moderation needs to be exercised.

I think that will work and it will work best coming from you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Holy Moly!  You mentioned the word "lock" 4 times in this post.  Geeeesh... What are trying to do... Trigger him? He's so much better than having to lock things up!

Thanks... You're a real help. ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

Loudly ring a cowbell every time she opens her mouth to speak.

If you do this long enough, she will get frustrated and stop coming by.

...Or actually, go back and revisit all of the great advice you gave way back when in that "my cats are peeing everywhere" advise thread.  Maybe there's something you can take from that which will do the trick.

• Haha (+1) 3

How did this start?  Was she a client and got chummy with the secretaries?  Is she related to one of them or past teacher / hair stylist of theirs?  How long has this behavior gone on?

The answers to those might alter / adjust where your approach to addressing the issue ends up between grinning and bearing it to shivving the mofo.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

How did this start?  Was she a client and got chummy with the secretaries?  Is she related to one of them or past teacher / hair stylist of theirs?  How long has this behavior gone on?

The answers to those might alter / adjust where your approach to addressing the issue ends up between grinning and bearing it to shivving the mofo.

She is neither a client or hairdresser. She is relatively new to the community (but grew up here years ago and moved back three years ago). She is now a self-proclaimed socialite (if announcing who danced with who at the Harvestfest constitutes social announcements). 

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

She is neither a client or hairdresser. She is relatively new to the community (but grew up here years ago and moved back three years ago). She is now a self-proclaimed socialite (if announcing who danced with who at the Harvestfest constitutes social announcements). 

Self proclaimed socialite you say?  With no real ties to your office nor your crew?

Pretty sure the right way of dealing with her is shiv the mofo.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Did Billy Joe Bob Tom dance with Kelly Sue Tammy? He does like her, but doesn't know how to tell her. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.