Giants hiring Joe Judge as HC

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Success said:

I hear ya - who knows how he'll turn out.  But he was definitely better than expected this past year, and looked excellent at times.

I just remember the insane ridicule Gettleman got when they made that pick, and how the "experts" everywhere said he should have taken Haskins.  Haskins may still turn out to be very good, but unless people spend their lives watching film, they don't know anything close to what people in the draft room know.  Sports fandom & punditry has become rife with ill-informed hot takes and immediate judgments.

while not the a holes the pats fans are (or philly or pitts), giant fans really are goofs.

they wanted eli and coughlin gone after the first chip, thought tiki barber and shockey were HOF stars, when the team only won after they stepped out, and generally think they are special.

when sequan got picked, they were mad rosen wasn't picked (who stinks), then when jones was picked, they all cried like babies.  then, when "dimes" shows some promise as a rookie, he's the second coming.  like, they can only be wrong, either the corch or players stink and need to go, or are the goat, literally never right.

1 hour ago, Success said:

Wow - Patriots fans are clueless!  At least the internet ones. I was checking some of the boards, and the majority sentiment is that he was their WR coach, the WR's were terrible, so good riddance.

How can you be a fan of a team and not know he was mainly their ST coach?

That fanbase.  They really don't deserve that team.

Fans? They are not fans... they are a slobbering legion of trolls and self-aggrandizing participation-ribbon collectors whose favorite form of high literature is a stack of choose-your-own-adventure novels their mothers gave them when they had a lone pimple, and couldn't bear to go to school, or be seen in public, for a week. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Fans? They are not fans... they are a slobbering legion of trolls and self-aggrandizing participation-ribbon collectors whose favorite form of high literature is a stack of choose-your-own-adventure novels their mothers gave them when they had a lone pimple, and couldn't bear to go to school, or be seen in public, for a week. 

I loved how one of the reporters asked belichick after the game If he has any kind of message to the fans who had been through “thick and thin” with the team. He said “I don’t think there’s been a whole lot of “thin” around here” (grumble grumble)

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I loved how one of the reporters asked belichick after the game If he has any kind of message to the fans who had been through “thick and thin” with the team. He said “I don’t think there’s been a whole lot of “thin” around here” (grumble grumble)

He's right.   

The Boston media treats the Pats like the NY media treats the Yankees...........like there is no excuse for not winning every year.

But they aren't the Yankees..........they haven't been winning for 100 years thru ownership changes and 20 different managers and a rotating cast of superstars......and they don't operate in a league without a salary cap.............the Pats run is all about one great coach and his QB.

When it's over they may maintain the cachet of a premier organization but ask the Cowboys what that's worth on the field.

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Many people who don’t watch football?

Yeah even if you only pay attention to the Super Bowl you would have seen McDermott in charge of a dominant SB defense for a 15-1 team just a year earlier.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

I hear ya - who knows how he'll turn out.  But he was definitely better than expected this past year, and looked excellent at times.

I just remember the insane ridicule Gettleman got when they made that pick, and how the "experts" everywhere said he should have taken Haskins.  Haskins may still turn out to be very good, but unless people spend their lives watching film, they don't know anything close to what people in the draft room know.  Sports fandom & punditry has become rife with ill-informed hot takes and immediate judgments.

Even more than just watching film, the people in the draft room have talked with the top prospects often spending hours interviewing a QB prospect before the draft.  There are so called experts in the media who spend their time watching film, but have never met the player or spent any time asking him questions & properly judging the answers.  Another aspect that the guys in the draft room have is access to medical reports.  An example in this year's draft is Tua.  The NFL people are going to know a lot more about his prognosis than any media member.  If they're bad, he'll drop.  If they are good he's top 10.  

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Back in the day many were saying Marv Who???

He already was a head coach in KC for 5 seasons and coached in the USFL & CFL, so anyone saying Marv Who wasn't paying attention. 

Also interesting was under Bill Polian's writeup in the 1986 media guide, before Marv was hired was the following:  "Polian joined the Bills in August of 1984 after working for one year as player personnel director of the USFL Chicago Blitz.  In Chicago, Polian was associated with head coach Marv Levy, with whom he had previously worked in both Montreal of the Canadian League, as a U.S. scout during the 1976-77 seasons and Kansas City, as a pro scout from 1978-1982."  So if you had the 1986 media guide, you could have figured out that Polian was going to bring in Marv as soon as he had enough of an excuse to fire Hank Bullough.  

2 minutes ago, iinii said:

You didn’t care for Marv?

I made that post before I saw that he had previously been a coordinator. I do think head coaches should have experience as a coordinator before getting the job, not just as a positional coach. My comment was not about special teams. My comment was about him being a WR positional coach.

Edited by MJS