No NFL Interest in Roman?

H2o

I feel like people are pegging Roman as someone unable to OC with a non-mobile QB.  When he became OC for 49ers, he had Alex Smith as his QB.  Smith hadn't had any success and was much more turnover prone than he is now.  Roman came in and got some solid play out of Smith and the 49ers offense was decent and the team went 13-3 that year.  He started off well the next year with Alex Smith too, until Kaepernick took over.    

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

I feel like people are pegging Roman as someone unable to OC with a non-mobile QB.  When he became OC for 49ers, he had Alex Smith as his QB.  Smith hadn't had any success and was much more turnover prone than he is now.  Roman came in and got some solid play out of Smith and the 49ers offense was decent and the team went 13-3 that year.  He started off well the next year with Alex Smith too, until Kaepernick took over.    

Roman didn't run the entire offense in San Fran.  It was an offense by committee.  Harbaugh was also a good offensive mind and loved the power run game.  They had some other guy calling all the red zone plays too.  This is why they burned time outs and had the most delay of games in the league by far.  Their offensive play calls went through 3 people. 

They ran a power run game with play action passing with Smith.  I wouldn't credit Roman with all of Smith's growth there.  I am sure part of  it but not all of it.  Kaepernick taking over was always part of the plan as they wanted to run the pistol offense.  Even Smith was fairly mobile btw.  Just not anywhere near Jackson, Kaep, or Taylor like.  Dude could still run the football though.

Edited by Scott7975

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Roman didn't run the entire offense in San Fran.  It was an offense by committee.  Harbaugh was also a good offensive mind and loved the power run game.  They had some other guy calling all the red zone plays too.  This is why they burned time outs and had the most delay of games in the league by far.  Their offensive play calls went through 3 people. 

They ran a power run game with play action passing with Smith.  I wouldn't credit Roman with all of Smith's growth there.  I am sure part of  it but not all of it.  Kaepernick taking over was always part of the plan as they wanted to run the pistol offense.  Even Smith was fairly mobile btw.  Just not anywhere near Jackson, Kaep, or Taylor like.  Dude could still run the football though.

I'm not saying that he deserves all of the credit, but he definitely deserves some of it.  It just seems unfair to label him as someone who can't operate with a non-super-athletic QB, when his only stint with such a QB was actually pretty successful.

12 hours ago, H2o said:

So far you have 3 of the HC spots locked up with Washington, Dallas, and Carolina now getting "their guy" to run the show. That leaves Cleveland and NY. I'm surprised Roman hasn't gotten much chatter because of what he has done with Jackson and that Ravens offense this year. I can't really see him going to Cleveland or NY either with the style of offense he runs. This is surprising as I thought he would have at least gotten an interview or two. 

Thought he interviewed for Cleveland last week?

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/greg-roman-get-to-know-the-browns-coach-candidate.html

Even when you think you know...you never know!

So many owners want instant success and sometimes it works and sometimes it takes years to build a playoff team from a bad team. The Lions should have made a change! The Jags should have made a change and instead made Coughlin the scapegoat. 

Both the Cowboys and the Panthers made quick judgement with their coaching decisions and look what happened when Buffalo did that with Rex Ryan.

In one or two year ALL those teams I mentioned could be indeed looking for a change at the top. These super rich owners are very impatient and want to win right away.

In Jerry Jones case he might feel "his" time is running out and wants to win again right now!

The NFL= not for long!

To this point, the Browns have interviewed five candidates: McCarthy, prominent offensive coordinators in Greg Roman (Baltimore Ravens), Eric Bieniemy (Kansas City Chiefs) and Brian Daboll (Buffalo Bills), and standout defensive coordinator Robert Saleh (San Francisco 49ers).

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/report-cleveland-browns-want-new-coach-respected-by-these-players-more-than-anything/95-95713a59-897f-4d56-9aef-31bc0f3eefbf

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unless you have a mobile QB, what’s the point 

Oh, come on! Baker almost eluded those donut scarfing cops. Given another 100 yard head start, it would have taken him several more seconds to get caught! I’m not sure you are giving him the (dis)credit he deserves!