No NFL Interest in Roman?

H2o

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

OK, and we made the playoffs from the same type of schedule, so what?  Should we get rid of McDermott because he didn't get 13 wins?

This is a TERRIBLE comparrison... we DID make the playoffs lol

And I think McDermott left a lot to be desired at times this year and his overly conservative nature cost us a playoff game.  He needs to keep growing as an HC Or yes he should be ***** canned... but he got them in a position to win 10 games and lock up a playoff birth with 2 weeks left... they could've won 11 had they started their best guys in week 17.

Your comparrison of a team that lost down the stretch to a team that won down the stretch is funny... McDermott was out coached by Baltimore and by the Pats down the stretch.  So that's worth noting... but He did enough to not be on the hot seat and prove he can make better choices.

6 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

Maybe but Denver's had three coaches in the last 5 years (4 in 6) and Fangio replaced the disaster that was Vance Joseph.  Throw in there's an ownership vacuum and Elway, who's getting by on his playing rep and not what he's done as an executive, hand-picked Fangio and of course he's good for a second year.

I'm expecting a major house-cleaning in Denver next year if the Broncos have a losing record.  Assuming someone in ownership steps up and Elway isn't running the show. 

I think you're right that Denver will have a house cleaning, especially if ownership changes.  Drew Lock developing into a franchise QB is the only thing that'll save Elway's job.  If he take the right steps he'll probably be retained regardless of win loss record... but if he sucks there will be a top down cleaning. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MR8 said:

This is a TERRIBLE comparrison... we DID make the playoffs lol

And I think McDermott left a lot to be desired at times this year and his overly conservative nature cost us a playoff game.  He needs to keep growing as an HC Or yes he should be ***** canned... but he got them in a position to win 10 games and lock up a playoff birth with 2 weeks left... they could've won 11 had they started their best guys in week 17.

Your comparrison of a team that lost down the stretch to a team that won down the stretch is funny... McDermott was out coached by Baltimore and by the Pats down the stretch.  So that's worth noting... but He did enough to not be on the hot seat and prove he can make better choices.

?

10 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I have no idea how he would be as a HC; however, Roman is an excellent OC.

Is he? He's never had an offense post back to back years in the Top 15 in yards.

His offenses have finished as Top 25 in passing yards only once in 2012 with SF.

He may actually have to win the whole damn thing to be taken seriously.  He took Kap to within 5 yards of the Lombardi with a run offense, then brought a first year starter Tyrod to the top 15.  What scares teams is that Roman’s offenses are so different from what others are doing there is no going back. You can’t plug and play players from a Roman run offense to a traditional offense.  It’s hard to recruit free agents into such a specialized system.  Getting receivers to sign on will be difficult over time because the yardage numbers are going to be bad. How things ended in Buffalo did not help. I recall the O got very sloppy and disorganized for a few games. Ironically it was a horrible game against the Ravens that did him in.  

Roman has a long track record in the NFL.   He is who he is and suddenly didn't get smart.    He got a QB who played lights out this year.     

I'd give more credit to Harbaugh for building an offense around Jackson's abilities, which is very un-NFL like...

• Like (+1) 2

I think it is that Greg Roman is at his best as a play designer and scheme developer. He is one of the most innovative offensive minds in the NFL.... but because his innovation is mainly in the run game and that's not sexy.... he is less attractive to some. 

Equally I think you look at the openings available this year... not sure how many suited a rookie Head Coach. Washington didn't, I don't think the Giants does and nor does Cleveland. Even Dallas (where I thought Rhule was a good fit) and Carolina (where they are hiring him) felt like spots where a proven leader as Rhule is was more important than a great Xs and Os guy. 

And finally.... going deep in the playoffs hurts Coordinators trying to get Head Coach jobs. It has always been thus and is why McDermott didn't get a job after 2015 and was available to the Bills to hire after 2016. It is even more the case I think since the McDaniels incident where Indianapolis decided they were willing to wait only for him to U turn and ditch them at the altar. The other guy everyone assumed was a shoe in for a job was Robert Saleh the DC in San Fran and I think he has found the same. There are staffs to be sorted, the Shrine game and Senior Bowl to scout and self scouting in advance of free agency to be done. Waiting until the first week in February costs valuable time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Is he? He's never had an offense post back to back years in the Top 15 in yards.

His offenses have finished as Top 25 in passing yards only once in 2012 with SF.

He has spent seven years as an OC. His total offensive ranking, in points were 11, 11, 11, 25, 10, 12, 1. So, a top 12 offense (Pts scored) in 6 of 7 years. As far as the passing game, he had Alex Smith early, then Kaepernick, then Taylor, and then Jackson. None of them were close to being upper echelon passers in terms of yardage. However, everyone of them had their career year in terms of TD% under Roman.

This year, Jackson had a TD% of 8.98 compared to last year when it was 3.4. The league average was 4.5. Since 1970, There have been only two performances of a QB, playing at least 14 games, having a higher TD% than Jackson did. There isn't a QB in the modern era (since 1970) that has a career TD% over 6 (the leader there, as an aside, is Russell Wilson at 6%).

The point is: Roman may not rack up the passing yards (given the QBs he has had to work with); however, he gets the most out of them and the offense, point production wise - and, in the end, that is what counts.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is one of the most innovative offensive minds in the NFL.

Spot on.

Edited by billsfan1959

Yeah, I know that he isn't really a viable option in Cleveland or especially the NY Giants with Daniel Jones. I could have seen him being able to do well with the pieces Dallas has on offense, but he's not a Jerry Jones kind of guy. I thought he might fit well in Carolina with Cam, if they keep him, or if they chose to draft a young QB like Jalen Hurts from Oklahoma. I thought Carolina might have had him in during the bye week for an interview. No go there though. I mean, hell, even Brian Daboll got an interview. 

52 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Roman just doesn't seem like a CEO Type that you want in charge of a team.  Just because someone is great at being an assistant doesn't make them a great choice for being the manager.

See: Rex Ryan

41 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

He’s been more of a run game coordinator, he’s considered brilliant at that. At least when he was here we had Chris Palmer as passing game coordinator and he did the run game. 

I’m sure there’d be a TON of interest in Roman if he could bring Jackson with him. Don’t get me wrong as I give Roman a ton of credit for the schemes he comes up with for Jackson; stuff the league has simply not seen. But imo, Jackson is literally the only QB that can do what he is doing in that offense. 

48 minutes ago, iinii said:

G-Ro may be happy where he is. His skill set looks to lend itself to coordinator. He is probably going deep in the playoffs which puts him starting from scratch way behind in terms of filling out a staff. 

Yep.  and do we even know if he's dying to become a head coach?  He might be comfortable in the coordinator role and that could be known within NFL circles when is comes to hiring. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He has spent seven years as an OC. His total offensive ranking, in points were 11, 11, 11, 25, 10, 12, 1. So, a top 12 offense (Pts scored) in 6 of 7 years. As far as the passing game, he had Alex Smith early, then Kaepernick, then Taylor, and then Jackson. None of them were close to being upper echelon passers in terms of yardage. However, everyone of them had their career year in terms of TD% under Roman.

This year, Jackson had a TD% of 8.98 compared to last year when it was 3.4. The league average was 4.5. Since 1970, There have been only two performances of a QB, playing at least 14 games, having a higher TD% than Jackson did. There isn't a QB in the modern era (since 1970) that has a career TD% over 6 (the leader there, as an aside, is Russell Wilson at 6%).

The point is: Roman may not rack up the passing yards (given the QBs he has had to work with); however, he gets the most out of them and the offense, point production wise - and, in the end, that is what counts.

Spot on.

He's no bum, but if he's so great why can't he sustain success and keep a job?

He's a smash mouth guy in a passing league. He works well with mobile QBs for a year or two then flames out. Harbaugh had a big hand in SF too don't forget. 

I justthink the league is wise to the fact his offense has a shelf life. I'd be shocked if Baltimore Quinn's the super bowl with that scheme even though it was highly successful during the season.

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

He's a system OC who needs a very specific set of things to be successful, and frankly he becomes predictable as well.  Right now he has an amazingly talented QB out there making things happen, which takes pressure off him.  Once teams get a feel for this offense they will adapt.  The X Factor is Jackson not Roman.  JMO...

I think you guys are forgetting a lot.  

Roman, while buffalos OC, had TYROD TAYLOR at QB with no WRs to speak of and no TEs and if I'm remembering right, our offense averaged 27 points per game. (EDIT: We scored 23.7 and 24.9 points per game in 20015 and 2016.  In both years we lead the league in rushing)

He also took the 49ers to the Superbowl with Kaepernick!!!!  Now people think Kaep is out of the league for his politics, that's simply untrue.  When Kaep started his kneeling, he HAD ALREADY BEEN BENCHED.  He was benched for BLAINE GABBERT of all people.  So basically, Kaep is horrible. 

Roman is a wizard with mobile QBs.  He is probably the greatest offensive coach in the history of the game, for mobile QBs (only for mobile QBs, I'm not saying he's been than Joe Walsh or something).

I have no idea if he is HC material, but I'd have thought Carolina woulda been a great spot for him.  I do like Carolinas hire, though.  

I'd love to have Roman back as our OC.  He would do wonders with Allen.  

Edited by peterpan

1 hour ago, 416BillsFan said:

He was successful with Alex Smith as well in 2011-12.

IIRC

and GR replaced AS with Kap as soon as he could because Kap fit the mobile scrambling / running QB. 

that was when AS went to KC who was again replaced by the young Pat Mahomes 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost