McDermott and Beane End of Season press conferences 1/7

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

He is right.  If you make enough plays the refs don't matter eventually.  But as is the case in playoff games where teams are evenly matched and a play or two here and there can swing the game, unfortunately the refs do matter a whole lot more than they should.  I don't see a way to get around it, that's just how it is and you have to hope you get the right calls at the right time and your opponent doesn't. Or at least the good and bad calls for each team balance themselves out.

McDermott feels the same way as all of us... He just can't say it publicly.

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

2-3 premier players in FA?

Yeah, I'm sure they would love to do that, but that doesn't seem likely.

Beane will be methodical in his approach to free agency. He did put an emphasis on keeping their own players, which is not surprising.

They can definitely get one premiere player, maybe two, but that's it.

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Wait you really want to sign that guy? 

Yes. Absolutely. He RACKS up TFLs regardless of scheme and talent around him. And he’s never been in a scheme that is more tailored to his abilities than McDermott’s, nor has he been surrounded by as much talent as he would be here with Hughes, Oliver, Edmunds, Milano, and the DB group.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Yes. Absolutely. He RACKS up TFLs regardless of scheme and talent around him. And he’s never been in a scheme that is more tailored to his abilities than McDermott’s, nor has he been surrounded by as much talent as he would be here with Hughes, Oliver, Edmunds, Milano, and the DB group.

I am nowhere near that confident. Guy has 3 sacks in his contract year in Seattle. Trent Murphy put up better numbers. Shaq has more everything than clowney had this year. 
And he’s going to want Mack kind of money for worse production than Trent Murphy and he’s extremely injury prone? I can’t see the love

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Gore just isn’t a good player anymore. Yeah he’s going to get a gold jacket and is great in the locker room, but he just shouldn’t be getting meaningful playing time anymore.

Edited by Bangarang

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Reading in between the lines from the press conference:

1) Continuity Continuity Continuity -  What does that mean?  Re-sign as many players as they reasonably can.  -  It also means that the Pegula's are damn happy with the team and the idea that McD or Beane are anywhere near close to approaching any sort of hot seat are absurd. - Also that continuity is a big reason why their defense is good as it is and that continuity will help out the offense next year.

2) Sounds like to me that based on what they perceive will be Shaq's and Phillips market value that they are more optimistic about retaining Shaq.  I think they like Phillips and would like to bring him back but I sensed a bit of doubt that Phillips market value may be higher than they are willing to pay, specially knowing that they have Harrison in the wings.

3) That they are high on Derrick Johnson.  Next year I believe he will play a much larger role

4) That they are absolutely sold on Josh Allen.  That he will continue to grow and improve!    They are very sure of this.  This isn't just Front office speak but comes from their true beliefs.

5)  That they will upgrade at the WR spot and make it a priority.  

6) That if they can make a play for an elite or high end pass rusher, they will attempt to pursue it.

7) That despite all the criticism Ford received, they believe in him.  That his play at Tackle with how new he was to it and being a rookie that it wasn't that bad at all.   But that they will keep the options open to him moving to guard. 

8 ) That their will be a reflection and review period of the coaches own performance.   They realize they can get better and need to and will look to improve upon that.

9)  Did I say continuity?  That the cap space will be to improve upon players but also to re-sign the players they want and to have the flexibility to re-sign players for the future as well.  Don't expect the Bills to be near a cash to cap situation, where they spend right up to the cap.  

I think u read between all the lines except one. Its pretty evident with me and what McDermott says he is not sold on Daboll as OC here. He said no changes "at this point" to me with questions regarding the offense, he always says there needed to be improvements. Adjustments need to be made and Daboll has to put Josh in the right series or sequence to start the second half. The coaches are responsible for players success too and Daboll has inconsistent stints on play calling but usually really when it matters it gets horrendous.

Think this is what McDermott is seeing and even Beane agrees offense needs more points. Is Daboll the one they see for the future or are they hoping he signs w Browns

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I am nowhere near that confident. Guy has 3 sacks in his contract year in Seattle. Trent Murphy put up better numbers. Shaq has more everything than clowney had this year. 
And he’s going to want Mack kind of money for worse production than Trent Murphy and he’s extremely injury prone? I can’t see the love

IIRC Clowney is playing with an abdominal hernia. The production doesn’t worry me so much as the injury history. He does play through that stuff. Plus, he pwned Jason Peters on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It sure sounds like they are gonna let him walk.  I would imagine they have had conversations and it must not be close.  He took a long time to re-sign last year iirc.  I hope he is back but I guess I have to settle for hoping he doesn't go to a team I hate so I can keep rooting for him.  I won't be mad about it but I will be sad.  He was the heart and soul of that dline imo.  He was constantly pumping team mates and the crowd up AND he showed up on the stat sheet.

Hoping it can be worked out!!!

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

IIRC Clowney is playing with an abdominal hernia. The production doesn’t worry me so much as the injury history. He does play through that stuff. Plus, he pwned Jason Peters on Sunday. 

I don’t doubt his talent, or his ability to dominate occasionally. It’s how many games he doesn’t have any effort and completely disappears and how many games he’s banged up for playing at 50%. 
People worry Shaq played hard only cause it’s a contract year, but clowney only plays hard 3-4 games a year and wants top defensive end money. 
We kill Murphy on here cause he makes too much money for his production but clowney is going to cost double Murphy possibly even more and just had a year with less production 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Clowney has been playing hurt for a huge chunk of the year, and is still playing hurt.    

6 minutes ago, section122 said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It sure sounds like they are gonna let him walk.  I would imagine they have had conversations and it must not be close.  He took a long time to re-sign last year iirc.  I hope he is back but I guess I have to settle for hoping he doesn't go to a team I hate so I can keep rooting for him.  I won't be mad about it but I will be sad.  He was the heart and soul of that dline imo.  He was constantly pumping team mates and the crowd up AND he showed up on the stat sheet.

Hoping it can be worked out!!!

They could always franchise tag him, let him and his agent seek a trade, trading team has to pay him. Jerk move but the smart business route 

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

Clowney has been playing hurt for a huge chunk of the year, and is still playing hurt.    

And?  It’s not news he’s ALWAYS hurt 

Edited by Rc2catch

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t doubt his talent, or his ability to dominate occasionally. It’s how many games he doesn’t have any effort and completely disappears and how many games he’s banged up for playing at 50%. 
People worry Shaq played hard only cause it’s a contract year, but clowney only plays hard 3-4 games a year and wants top defensive end money. 
We kill Murphy on here cause he makes too much money for his production but clowney is going to cost double Murphy possibly even more and just had a year with less production 

For me it’s the perpetual injuries that devalue Clowney more than anything else. If they can resign Lawson for 1/3 of a Clowney contract I’ll be content with that as long as they find some more talent at Edge. Whether that’s drafting a kid, signing Dupree to replace Alexander, etc doesn’t matter to me. They need talent in the pass rush. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Clowney isn’t a pure pass rusher like Mack, so it’s not an apples to apples. He’s just as productive on a per-game basis when comparing TFLs and forced turnovers, and he’s a phenomenal run defender.

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

They could always franchise tag him, let him and his agent seek a trade, trading team has to pay him. Jerk move but the smart business route 

And?  It’s not news he’s ALWAYS hurt 

He’s missed 2, 0, 2, and 5 games over the last 4 seasons 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Spain was okay, but I think ultimately the line would be much better if they moved Cody Ford to G and got a really good RT. Dawkins-Ford-Morse would potentially be as good if not better than rookie Dawkins-Incognito-Wood (because Morse>Wood and Dawkins yr 4>rookie Dawkins).

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I wouldn’t mind re-signing Spain but what do you do with Ford at that point? He’s not good at RT and you can’t justify starting him over Spain or Feliciano. I’m sure he’d stay at RT but he’s likely to be a liability 

I think Ford is going to be okay. I think a lot of his mistakes were technique things that can be cleaned up. I know I am in the minority, but unless you are giving loads of money to Jack Conklin, I don't think that you are going to find a guy with Ford's upside. I just think he was really raw, and is working on his game. There were times where he looked really good and I was pretty impressed. There were also times in which he looked truly awful, but there were times Spain, Morse, and Feliciano looked terrible as well. I look at it the same way I view Dawkins when people wanted to move him, Ford has not proven that he is incapable of playing right tackle. He isn't there yet and I think it is too early to move him. I think the Bills see him as a true RT and that is why they chose him over Dalton Risner. Like I said, his game is raw. He wasn't asked to do much at Oklahoma and he is working on the nuances of the game. 

If we can't re-sign Spain, I'm looking at Connor McGovern of the Broncos. He's capable of playing guard and center and played next to Mitch Morse at Mizzou. (He's the guy Shaq was fighting with post game vs the Broncos). He would be my target, assuming Brandon Scherff is too expensive. I think paying RT's like Conklin is bad practice, but if you can design a front loaded deal, I'd be okay with it, but I would not love it. I think I see what Spain wants, see what else is out there, like McGovern, and leave Ford where he is. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Well . . . if anyone was wondering if Jerry has grown since The News let him go . . . .
Or . . .  if you're wondering why The News let him go . .  .

he's still a baby

21 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Good points and I'm wary of him as well but he also destroyed the Eagles Sunday