McDermott and Beane End of Season press conferences 1/7

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Josh fails and those two guys will fail with him,  Sean made the call to draft defense (White) over Mahomes,  these guys think you can win playing caveman football.  Passed on both Mahomes and Mecallf,  that is on them and either they get Josh some surrounding talent to win or they will be right behind him leaving the building.  I don't like hearing about having 90 million in cap space and not talking about getting some play makers.  You need play makers to win in the playoffs,  

It all depends on what the pegulas think about the job beane/mcdermott have done when the time comes. A project QB doesnt always work out. Other players Beane has drafted, results and performances all tie into it. Mcdermott being aggressive in the future might buy him more favour. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

That axe Sully keeps grinding has to be pretty sharp by now. 

I would think there would be nothing left of it by this point. He couldn't chop down a dandelion with it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Josh fails and those two guys will fail with him,  Sean made the call to draft defense (White) over Mahomes,  these guys think you can win playing caveman football.  Passed on both Mahomes and Mecallf,  that is on them and either they get Josh some surrounding talent to win or they will be right behind him leaving the building.  I don't like hearing about having 90 million in cap space and not talking about getting some play makers.  You need play makers to win in the playoffs,  

McDermott (if you believe Whaley had zero to do with the draft) passed on Mahommes

Beane passed on Metcalf

To say "these guys" passed on both Mahommes and Metcalf is disingenuous. 

14 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

There's always gotta be someone. Apparently, you're that guy.

• Like (+1) 6

37 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The NFL GM job, like HC and QB are extremely difficult jobs that requires all kinds of disparate skills. Brandon Beane, for a pretty young guy, is very good and we are lucky to have him. Has he made some mistakes? Of course. But the combination of philosophy, talent evaluator, drafter, salary cap management, team builder, staff hires, short-mid-long term vision, self and public awareness,  and face of the franchise, is extremely impressive. Particularly compared to what we have had for a generation.

Agreed.  That PC was an A+ performance by both of them.  Beane admitted he screwed up not giving Allen a better line and weapons in 2018 - he basically said that outright.  The "rebuild" he referred to was this past offseason's attempt to right those wrongs.  Gotta give him credit for owning that, and he recognizes that Allen "doing too much" is a direct consequence of not giving him enough playmakers he can trust.

That PC was night and day what we saw in years past.  Literally 180 degrees away from Whaley's epic "I'm not privy to that" faceplant.  Today was a good look for OBD.

(BTW Sullivan's tweet shows a stunning lack of self-awareness or judgment.  It's one thing to think that to yourself - but to tweet it out?  What an all-time ass.)

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Our FO passed on two great players once! No one else ever does that! RHeeeeE

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

That axe Sully keeps grinding has to be pretty sharp by now. 

..should have told him it was scheduled for Jan. 8...….let 'em interview an empty room...…...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Magox said:

Reading in between the lines from the press conference:

1) Continuity Continuity Continuity -  What does that mean?  Re-sign as many players as they reasonably can.  -  It also means that the Pegula's are damn happy with the team and the idea that McD or Beane are anywhere near close to approaching any sort of hot seat are absurd. - Also that continuity is a big reason why their defense is good as it is and that continuity will help out the offense next year.

2) Sounds like to me that based on what they perceive will be Shaq's and Phillips market value that they are more optimistic about retaining Shaq.  I think they like Phillips and would like to bring him back but I sensed a bit of doubt that Phillips market value may be higher than they are willing to pay, specially knowing that they have Harrison in the wings.

3) That they are high on Derrick Johnson.  Next year I believe he will play a much larger role

4) That they are absolutely sold on Josh Allen.  That he will continue to grow and improve!    They are very sure of this.  This isn't just Front office speak but comes from their true beliefs.

5)  That they will upgrade at the WR spot and make it a priority.  

6) That if they can make a play for an elite or high end pass rusher, they will attempt to pursue it.

7) That despite all the criticism Ford received, they believe in him.  That his play at Tackle with how new he was to it and being a rookie that it wasn't that bad at all.   But that they will keep the options open to him moving to guard. 

8 ) That their will be a reflection and review period of the coaches own performance.   They realize they can get better and need to and will look to improve upon that.

9)  Did I say continuity?  That the cap space will be to improve upon players but also to re-sign the players they want and to have the flexibility to re-sign players for the future as well.  Don't expect the Bills to be near a cash to cap situation, where they spend right up to the cap.  

Agree mostly. A couple corrections. Harrison is the back up to Star, so they’d need someone to back up Ed if JPhillips goes, and it sounded to me like he won’t be back. 

I think you mean Daryl Johnson, the DE. If they bring Shaw back, then Trent is most likely gone, especially if they like Daryl. 

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

They kept saying they weren't going as deep on FA this year as last which when you remember they rebuilt the O-line and WR core makes sense. I'm sure they'll still make plenty of moves this year.

I feel like every team says that every year - they don’t want to set any kind of expectation for FA this early 

Just now, thebandit27 said:

That’s what I’m expecting. A WR1, an EDGE guy, and an impact RB to pair with Singletary.

Re-up KJ, Stanford, and McKenzie and sign 2nd-tier depth guys at OT, DT, and LB.

I would take a look at Houston’s FA pool. Gaine likely has some insight on those guys and what they are looking for 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel like every team says that every year - they don’t want to set any kind of expectation for FA this early 

I would take a look at Houston’s FA pool. Gaine likely has some insight on those guys and what they are looking for 

Clowney!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TPS said:

Agree mostly. A couple corrections. Harrison is the back up to Star, so they’d need someone to back up Ed if JPhillips goes, and it sounded to me like he won’t be back. 

I think you mean Daryl Johnson, the DE. If they bring Shaw back, then Trent is most likely gone, especially if they like Daryl. 

Yep, I meant Daryl Johnson, the DE.  And yes in regards to Harrison but I think he can play both 1 and 3 techniques with the team.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Would be quite the game changer 

He’s an ideal fit as an LDE in this scheme. If Shaq put up 6.5 sacks and 13 TFLs, Clowney would be good for 10/20 all day long.

Also, regarding Houston connections, I wouldn’t be surprised if they looked at Covington to replace Jordan.

Edited by thebandit27