McDermott and Beane End of Season press conferences 1/7

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

McD and Beane are so professional and accountable. Not a given in the NFL. If anyone didn’t see their press conferences I recommend watching when you have time. 

The Bills are in the best shape they've been in as an organization since the early 90s.  Is there room to learn and grow?  Of course.  I'm very proud to be a fan of this franchise -- all of us who have stuck it out over the past 20 years are going to be rewarded.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Reading in between the lines from the press conference:

1) Continuity Continuity Continuity -  What does that mean?  Re-sign as many players as they reasonably can.  -  It also means that the Pegula's are damn happy with the team and the idea that McD or Beane are anywhere near close to approaching any sort of hot seat are absurd. - Also that continuity is a big reason why their defense is good as it is and that continuity will help out the offense next year.

2) Sounds like to me that based on what they perceive will be Shaq's and Phillips market value that they are more optimistic about retaining Shaq.  I think they like Phillips and would like to bring him back but I sensed a bit of doubt that Phillips market value may be higher than they are willing to pay, specially knowing that they have Harrison in the wings.

3) That they are high on Derrick Johnson.  Next year I believe he will play a much larger role

4) That they are absolutely sold on Josh Allen.  That he will continue to grow and improve!    They are very sure of this.  This isn't just Front office speak but comes from their true beliefs.

5)  That they will upgrade at the WR spot and make it a priority.  

6) That if they can make a play for an elite or high end pass rusher, they will attempt to pursue it.

7) That despite all the criticism Ford received, they believe in him.  That his play at Tackle with how new he was to it and being a rookie that it wasn't that bad at all.   But that they will keep the options open to him moving to guard. 

8 ) That their will be a reflection and review period of the coaches own performance.   They realize they can get better and need to and will look to improve upon that.

9)  Did I say continuity?  That the cap space will be to improve upon players but also to re-sign the players they want and to have the flexibility to re-sign players for the future as well.  Don't expect the Bills to be near a cash to cap situation, where they spend right up to the cap.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Magox said:

2) Sounds like to me that based on what they perceive will be Shaq's and Phillips market value that they are more optimistic about retaining Shaq.  I think they like Phillips and would like to bring him back but I sensed a bit of doubt that Phillips market value may be higher than they are willing to pay, specially knowing that they have Harrison in the wings.

I think it will be hard to pay Jordan when Oliver plays the same position.

The NFL GM job, like HC and QB are extremely difficult jobs that requires all kinds of disparate skills. Brandon Beane, for a pretty young guy, is very good and we are lucky to have him. Has he made some mistakes? Of course. But the combination of philosophy, talent evaluator, drafter, salary cap management, team builder, staff hires, short-mid-long term vision, self and public awareness,  and face of the franchise, is extremely impressive. Particularly compared to what we have had for a generation.

• Like (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, HOF4LOU said:

Did Beane or McD say anything about Duke?

Only thing I saw was mentioning that he had worked hard the past few weeks and deserved the increased reps he saw against Houston. But they also made it pretty clear they're upgrading at WR this offseason.

13 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

I hope Beane and McDermott stick around even if Josh falls off a cliff next year. I trust them both.

I don't agree with others that their fates are definitely tied to Josh if Josh doesn't pan out. I'm not sure it has to be that way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I don't agree with others that their fates are definitely tied to Josh if Josh doesn't pan out. I'm not sure it has to be that way. 

Josh fails and those two guys will fail with him,  Sean made the call to draft defense (White) over Mahomes,  these guys think you can win playing caveman football.  Passed on both Mahomes and Mecallf,  that is on them and either they get Josh some surrounding talent to win or they will be right behind him leaving the building.  I don't like hearing about having 90 million in cap space and not talking about getting some play makers.  You need play makers to win in the playoffs,  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

McD and Beane are so professional and accountable. Not a given in the NFL. If anyone didn’t see their press conferences I recommend watching when you have time. 

Agreed. Glad as a Bills fan I don’t have to see clips of our HC saying he’s “ rich as F*&$” etc. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

?

If there is one thing Sully knows, it's how get everyone's ire up.  Regardless,, even if you hate waiting (I'm assuming he has a hot date), you don't tweet that - the reporter is not the story, Jerry...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

He is right.  If you make enough plays the refs don't matter eventually.  But as is the case in playoff games where teams are evenly matched and a play or two here and there can swing the game, unfortunately the refs do matter a whole lot more than they should.  I don't see a way to get around it, that's just how it is and you have to hope you get the right calls at the right time and your opponent doesn't. Or at least the good and bad calls for each team balance themselves out.

all that has to happen is refs call clear and obvious. if its at all borderline keep your flag in your pocket. if it doesnt effect the play at all and noone is at risk of injury..keep it in your pocket. if you call boarderline ticky tack then people will scan the field and ask "you called this but not that?" the league must be consistent!

the vikings td can be scrutinized but id rather let guys play. both initiated contact and if he doesnt push, is the cb faceguarding? that question can be asked so there was no reason to call anything and it plays out.

ford pushes a guy who clearly saw him and its nothing vicious and did not affect anything.let them play!! a guy touches a facemask, head never gets yanked and its in the mist of a tackle that was going to happen anyways...let it go. 

slow mo replay should not be needed to see these penalties if it is, it shouldnt have been called. only important plays and spot issues.

its wayy out of hand and gives the refs too much power. its never going to be perfect but refs need to understand the difference. this letter of the law crap means the refs can simply pick and choose at will and everyone will interpret it different. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1