McDermott and Beane End of Season press conferences 1/7

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know some people don't like a lot of what Daboll does, but I think continuity at this point would be huge. Re-signing Quentin Spain and returning 5 starting offensive linemen would be amazing and unprecedented around these parts. I do hope there are no major changes this offseason. 

Spain was okay, but I think ultimately the line would be much better if they moved Cody Ford to G and got a really good RT. Dawkins-Ford-Morse would potentially be as good if not better than rookie Dawkins-Incognito-Wood (because Morse>Wood and Dawkins yr 4>rookie Dawkins).

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane has tears in eyes about the fans 

You have to be good at your job, but fit/chemistry can be the X factor(s) in making you great at what you do or a company/organization great. Lou Saban was a terrific coach and had excellent results but the fit was never quite right so it was two terms of some great results (AFL titles, OJ's best years) but almost as quickly a crash and burn.

Marv Levy had a great relationship with Ralph Wilson and Bill Polian (and John Butler). That was a great fit organizationally and there was staying power.

Probably the best example in the NFL in terms of competence and long term fit is the Steelers since they have had 3 coaches in the last 40+ years. 

I see the same thing here with McDermott and Beane with the Pegulas and their relationship with the community and their players. It is a good fit and they are good at their jobs. And they approach building the roster by acquiring good players that fit, not just the most talented but first and foremost they have to be able to play. 

For decades the Yankees have been the best team money can buy but the years that they have won championships are not necessarily the years they had the best talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ScotSHO said:

He keeps talking about his versatility, so not necessarily.  

Yeah I deleted it - it was a quick take, based on what he said first and then he walked it back a little bit...

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I wouldn’t mind re-signing Spain but what do you do with Ford at that point? He’s not good at RT and you can’t justify starting him over Spain or Feliciano. I’m sure he’d stay at RT but he’s likely to be a liability 

You don’t anticipate any growth in his game from his rookie year?

7 minutes ago, KW95 - JA17 said:

Sadly, thats where the Pats are better. Every question asked by reporter is on the mic

Yep, that’s the one area where they’ve got us.

• Haha (+1) 3