Couple coaching decisions from Saturdays game

Matt_In_NH

This is not a thread bashing the coaches, I think we have a good front office and coaching staff and heading in the right direction overall but a couple things had me confused.

What is the possible reasoning to go for it on 4th and 27?  You simply dont convert 4th and 27....this is like hail mary percentages.....

Why is Demarco (husky meatheat type) split out like a WR?  We started and ended the season with this crap.    I will take a guess that it was hurry up and they did not want the D to change personnel so they just throw him out wide?   I don't get it.

not sure about the first one, not the right choice IMO but maybe they thought they'd never get the ball back.

on the second: i'll bash the coaches.  we were in some kind of jumbo package, and the texans dropped 7 or 8 and kept a spy, they knew it was pass all along.  we are so clever that we put in lee smith and the FB and motor, but since we so rarely run well out of that package it was a complete tell that we were going to pass, so they just called the right D.  for someone who complicates things so much, dabol is very predictable and rarely seems to get our O in the best position to score.

The 4th & 27 was similar to Josh's lateral - basically, 2 "playoff rookie" mistakes, where the lights did seem to be a bit too bright.

Both were very uncharacteristic based on what we've seen from McD and Allen all season.  I'm not that concerned long term, but both were alarming while watching the game.

The 4th and 27 is indefensible.

DiMarco lining up out wide is. The idea is that we generally motion him (and RBs and sometimes TEs) back in and that allows Allen to see what kind of coverage the Texans are in. In some of these cases, we broke tendency by actually snapping it with them out wide.

Just now, DCOrange said:

The 4th and 27 is indefensible.

DiMarco lining up out wide is. The idea is that we generally motion him (and RBs and sometimes TEs) back in and that allows Allen to see what kind of coverage the Texans are in. In some of these cases, we broke tendency by actually snapping it with them out wide.

If I recall correctly, our best plays on offense this game were with Smith and DiMarco in the game.  It is more than just "DiMarco is playing WR" It forces the defense into certain packages, and gives you a ton of audible flexibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, mattynh said:

This is not a thread bashing the coaches, I think we have a good front office and coaching staff and heading in the right direction overall but a couple things had me confused.

What is the possible reasoning to go for it on 4th and 27?  You simply dont convert 4th and 27....this is like hail mary percentages.....

Why is Demarco (husky meatheat type) split out like a WR?  We started and ended the season with this crap.    I will take a guess that it was hurry up and they did not want the D to change personnel so they just throw him out wide?   I don't get it.

Reveals coverage based on who is lined up on DiMarco. 

Has anything been said from coaches regarding the handoff to Gore on 1st and 10 with 30 seconds left in the half and one timeout? 23 yard line. 

2 minutes ago, CBD said:

Has anything been said from coaches regarding the handoff to Gore on 1st and 10 with 30 seconds left in the half and one timeout? 23 yard line. 

That was another one.....but I heard that may have been an audible by Allen....no matter how you get to that play it seems wrong.

40 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I actually don't have a problem with this call. They were on the Houston 42 lard line with 1:45 left in the game. If they punt the ball, they have to stop Houston from getting one 1st down. The way Houston had been moving the ball, that was not a sure bet.

So, I have no problem with them taking the shot. If they don't get it, then they are in the same position of having to stop Houston from getting a 1st down.

It was made worse because of the subsequent sack.

3 hours ago, CBD said:

Just that they want the entire series back (McDermott today in the presser)