Carolina Panthers hire Matt Rhule as HC - 7 year contract

YoloinOhio

On 1/10/2020 at 11:27 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Whoa nelly. Now trade up for Burrow  and rescue him from The Bungles. It might only take a fat Venmo from tepper to Mike brown to buy the pick off of him 

I think it’s a risk for Rhule to have 2 unproven college coordinators as his first nfl coordinator hires. I thought he would at least try to hire 1 proven NFL coordinator. possibly even someone who had been an NFL HC, like McDermott did w/Frazier. McDermott prioritized putting together an experienced staff, which was a smart move IMO. 

I know Rhule backed out of the Jets job over some disagreement with the staff he wanted to hire. I wonder if it had something to do with him wanting to hire 2 unproven college coordinators like this? 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/7/2020 at 9:59 AM, zevo said:

How come this guy is in such high demand...I know he was wanted last year as well....just curious

To be honest with you, he is not really my ideal coach but to his credit he did turn a horrible Temple program around & made them winners then went to a situation that was so toxic at Baylor that some analysts said it could be career suicide for him & in three short years turned that program around too.  How does this translate to the NFL?  Who know, but the man knows how to turn a program around at the college level.  

Edited by Gordio
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/9/2020 at 1:52 PM, reddogblitz said:

I just gotta wonder what that does to a guy's motivation.  I know what it would do to mine.  ?

People that offered that kind of money typically don't need help with motivation. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

To be honest with you, he is not really my ideal coach but to his credit he did turn a horrible Temple program around & made them winners then went to a situation that was so toxic at Baylor that some analysts said it could be career suicide for him & in three short years turned that program around too.  How does this translate to the NFL?  Who know, but the man knows how to turn a program around at the college level.  

....but a 7 year deal?....could he be the next "Saban to the Fins" fiasco?.......

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think it’s a risk for Rhule to have 2 unproven college coordinators as his first nfl coordinator hires. I thought he would at least try to hire 1 proven NFL coordinator. possibly even someone who had been an NFL HC, like McDermott did w/Frazier. McDermott prioritized putting together an experienced staff, which was a smart move IMO. 

I know Rhule backed out of the Jets job over some disagreement with the staff he wanted to hire. I wonder if it had something to do with him wanting to hire 2 unproven college coordinators like this? 

Joe Brady was with the Saints before he went to LSU so he does have some nfl experience (Though not as a coordinator). Btw he’s another William & Mary grad. Apparently they breed coaches there. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Joe Brady was with the Saints before he went to LSU so he does have some nfl experience (Though not as a coordinator). Btw he’s another William & Mary grad. Apparently they breed coaches there. 

Feels like Rutgers is another school the puts out a ton of players and coaches in a bunch of sports. 

14 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....but a 7 year deal?....could he be the next "Saban to the Fins" fiasco?.......

Agree, 7 years seems a bit much but he will certainly have enough time now to do a full rebuild if he wants. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...