Carolina Panthers hire Matt Rhule as HC - 7 year contract

YoloinOhio

On 1/7/2020 at 10:21 AM, matter2003 said:

Oh...looks like the Bills will be losing their competitive advantage in sports science with at least one team in the next few years...funny that Carolina wants to invest so heavily in it now with the Bills having it work so well in injury prevention over the past 3 years and McBeane's ties to the Panthers.

But the question is not can he build and lead a football team in college but can he do it in the NFL?  Some of the best to ever do it at the college level have failed miserably in the NFL at it. Two different animals altogether.

That's my question.  His only professional coaching experience is as an assistant offensive line coach (Giants).  A lot of head coaching is having the contacts to hire quality assistant coaches.  It has to be hard to develop the necessary contacts without being in the professional ranks.

6 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

This introductory press conference is wild. They have a DJ playing music. They out together a hype video for Rhule. The owner walks up to the podium to his own hand picked music track. And that’s as far as I got so far... still like 30 mins to go. lol 

edit - so I’m about half way through watching this. I’m curious what other people think of Rhule’s opening speech? 

Am I the only one that thinks he sounds like a preacher, or a politician or something? 

I like what I’ve read about him though. Interesting hire for sure. Tepper is gushing over this guy.

edit again - thought he did better during the Q&A. 

It was an impressive press conference and it gives you some idea about why he was a hot commodity as he's a good salesman.  Seems like a Gruden/Tomlin/Carroll type.  Plus, he completely turned around two football programs which is way more than a guy like Joe Judge ever did.

1 minute ago, QCity said:

Good Lord. I don't care how well the interview went, that is insane. College coaches with no NFL experience have a very low rate of success.

He's a hedge fund billionaire.  He knew he had to outbid the GIants.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Lol!  Always a Buffalo connection...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Rhule

Early years

Rhule grew up in New York City before his family moved to State College, Pennsylvania as a teenager. Rhule played linebacker at State College Area High School before walking on as a linebacker to Penn State. At Penn State, Rhule played four years under Joe Paterno and was a three-time Penn State Scholar-Athlete and an Academic All-Big Ten honoree in 1997.[1] While at Penn State, Rhule earned his Bachelor's of Arts in Political Science. He earned a Master's in Educational Psychology from the University at Buffalo in 2003.[2]

Yeah, no doubt he got Sandusky'd.

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

Good Lord. I don't care how well the interview went, that is insane. College coaches with no NFL experience have a very low rate of success.

True, but you can hit the jackpot with the right hire.  Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh, Tom Coughlin, and Dick Vermeil come to mind.  You could even argue John Harbaugh even though he didn't win a Superbowl.  

Tepper completely spanked the Maras with a new money power play.

Maras: "tomorrow we will fly you up to New Jersey.....and yes, it will be Business Class!"

Tepper:  "I'm scrambling my jet now--I'll be at your house in 2 hours."

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

He's a hedge fund billionaire.  He knew he had to outbid the GIants.

They're all billionaires.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

True, but you can hit the jackpot with the right hire.  

You can also hit the jackpot playing lottery tickets, that doesn't mean it's a wise idea to buy them.

It's another rookie owner who got caught up in an interview "don't let him leave the room" moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, QCity said:

You can also hit the jackpot playing lottery tickets, that doesn't mean it's a wise idea to buy them.

It's another rookie owner who got caught up in an interview "don't let him leave the room" moment. 

What's the percentage of college coaches who hit as NFL head coaches compared to NFL coordinators or positional coaches?  If there was a sure fire path to success as an NFL coach then you wouldn't see two ex head coaches, a ST coordinator, and a college coach all hired in the same week.

I listened to coverage all day yesterday.

Charlotteans are not unanimously sold on this guy by any means. A bunch wanted McDaniels , a bunch wanted Bieniemy.

I felt like I was listening to a High School Pep rally on the radio. Still not the least bit sure of what I think about Tepper as an owner. 
     In a radio interview Rhule said he was going to bring in an NFL veteran coaching presence to bend his ear and speak “ Truth to power”. Rhule stated he had been contacted by a bunch of NFL guys seeking a job.

His father was a preacher.

Edited by Buffalo Boy