Jerry Hughes says he played this season with torn wrist ligaments - NFL investigating whether Bills violated league rules with reporting injury (NFL didn’t find a violation)

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

everyone is injured in the NFL every day

Right so now you have to go to what parts of the body are more important for different positional places.....

Bad hands on a DE is a BAD thing because of the hand fighting they have to do to gain position on their pass rush......I could see this being a big deal because its not like his game is power....his game is SPEED which means quick twitch hand fighting.

9 hours ago, wppete said:

Jerry is a beast. A dangerous man. Hope he comes back healthy and hungry next year. 

...agreed.....plenty of doubters when we signed the Colts "bust".......a "change of scenery" worked after he cleaned up his dumb penalties which he did a good job at IMO...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He turns 32 in August.  He's not playing thru the 2021 season. Dreaming. Besides he's blackballed and he'll never get a call.  Next season will be his last as a Bill.

...so the two year extension was just right......good call McBeane or not?.........

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He showed up big and so did Murphy. Let’s see how Beane handles that this offseason. 
Hughes definitely should come back for another season. 
We have a couple very good complimentary DE’s, needs one stud pass rusher.

Hughes is signed through 2021 with $10M of dead money if cut this year.  We have him for 2 years.

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you think you’ll see a lot of syringes in his house?

No, I think he's probably meticulous about covering his tracks.

• Like (+1) 1

The dude is a beast. I can only imagine how bad torn ligaments hurt. 

and he played a whole NFL season?? I guess we know why he may have regressed a bit. 

he will be back stronger. I want more more badass year from Jerry. 

Edited by Nick the Greek

59 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He turns 32 in August.  He's not playing thru the 2021 season. Dreaming. Besides he's blackballed and he'll never get a call.  Next season will be his last as a Bill.

I don't disagree btw, I just don't see us adding 2 ends in the next 2 seasons and cutting bait with him immediately after we get a second one, I think he gets the season after unless his play really drops off. We want pressure with our front 4 and I just don't see one of them being Shaq

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hughes is signed through 2021 with $10M of dead money if cut this year.  We have him for 2 years.

No, I think he's probably meticulous about covering his tracks.

Yep, agreed. I’ve seen his name mentioned on here as a possible vet cut. No way that occurs. 

11 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The kind of guy you want on your team. Of course, if he was JJ Watt, the NFL would award him a Purple Heart and the media would engage in word ***** with him.

I'm willing to bet Hughes gets held more times than JJ and gets far fewer calls for that penalty.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Oh Gawd, the wretched life of in the NFL.  I am sure prison guards,  fireman, cops, military, roofers, oil field workers, long haul truckers, farmers, sure lose sleep every night for the plight of the players in the NFL.

Yeah we get it but pain is pain. I have torn ligaments in my thumb and I can't even hold a carton of milk because of the pain of it. I can't imagine playing that level of physical effort and the  violent collisions with it.

I don't think the effect of the injury can be quantified, but it had to have an effect.  He may well come back and have a better season next year.  There have been older defensive ends who have played at a very high level.