Call your shot (2020 NFL Draft)

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Who do you think we will draft in round 1?

I'm calling my shot now and saying Laviska Shenault WR from Colorado

• Laviska Shenault, 6-2/220

• Wide Receiver

• Colorado

Laviska Shenault Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

• Rare toughness
  • Strong build
  • Is a fighter
  • Doesn't hesitate to get physical
  • Dangerous run-after-the-catch skills
  • Elusive open-field runner
  • Has a second gear as a runner
  • Picks up yards after contact
  • Quality route runner
  • Willing to go across the middle
  • Good hands
  • Quality height
  • Can generate separation
  • Tracks the ball well
  • Good technique
  • Adept at finding soft spots in zone
  • Plays hurt
  • Makes big plays in the clutch
  • Versatile receiver
  • Could be cross-trained as a X - split end -, Y - flanker -, or Z - slot
  • Phenomenal fit for a west coast offense
  • Able to contribute as a short-yardage running back

Weaknesses:

• Durability
  • Gets banged up
  • Good, but not great, speed
  • Good, but not great, size

Early But I agree

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I was actually thinking Najee Harris in the 3rd (or 4th?) round would be a great compliment to Singletary. That would be fun to watch!

Alabama_logo.gif Najee Harris*, RB, Alabama  
Height: 6-2. Weight: 230.  
Projected 40 Time: 4.53. 
Projected Round (2020): 2-4. 

1/4/20: In 2019, Harris averaged 5.9 yards per carry for 1,224 yards with 13 touchdowns. He had 27 receptions for 304 yards and seen scores as a receiver. Harris flashed at times, but some scouts don't feel Harris is the same caliber as other recent Alabama running backs like Josh Jacobs, Damien Harris or Derrick Henry.  

For the NFL, Harris is a big back who has some quickness and athleticism. Over the past few seasons, he did not run to his size and looked to bounce too many carries to the outside rather than use his power to run behind his pads in a physical manner. Late in 2019, especially against LSU and Mississippi State, Harris aggressively ran downhill with decisiveness. His tape from the back half of the 2019 season will help his draft grade and definitely makes him look like a better pro prospect compared to how he performed at the beginning of the season. 

8/17/19: Harris was a star recruit coming out of high school, and he has flashed a skill set with size, power and speed. As a freshman in 2017, he averaged 6.1 yards per carry for 370 yards with three touchdowns. Alabama didn't give him a lot of carries because of more experienced players ahead of him like Damien Harris and Bo Scarbrough. He was expected to take on a bigger role as a sophomore, but Harris and Josh Jacobs beat out Harris for bigger roles. In 2018, Harris had only 117 carries, but averaged 6.7 yards per carry for 783 yards with four touchdowns. By the time of the 2020 NFL Draft, Harris could rise if he becomes the feature back at Alabama. Some sources don't think as highly of Harris as the hype suggests. 

Love Najee and he would be a great get!

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

McDermott has final say on personnel decisions. 

This is extremely early given that players have until 1/15 to declare, but I can see McD going DE.  He'll justify it because Murphy is in the final year of his deal (if he's retained), and Hughes turns 32 this year.  Lawson is likely gone, and then there's nothing behind them. 

Would rather see a WR, although there will be options in the 2nd given the depth of this class.  Still, it's time to invest in the offense after what we see on display this past weekend.

What makes you believe McD has final say? I have never heard that from Beane or McD. 

3 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Either Tee Higgins from Clemson or Justin Jefferson from LSU.  I would be thrilled with either.

Clemson_logo.gif Tee Higgins*, WR, Clemson 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 200.  
Projected 40 Time: 4.55. 
Projected Round (2020): 1-2. 

1/4/20: Higgins has 56 catches for 1,115 yards with 13 touchdowns in 2019. He is a tall, long receiver who is a red-zone weapon and provides a size mismatch for the NFL. He is dangerous red-zone threat given his length and leaping ability. He is a volleyball player-style receiver who is not a tough wideout to work between the numbers. Assuming his combine time is solid, Higgins runs well enough to get late first-round consideration and should go in the second round if he isn't a first-round pick. 

8/17/19: Higgins is a big receiver who presents a size-mismatch issue for defenses. As a sophomore, he totaled 936 yards on 59 receptions with 12 touchdowns. Higgins is capable of producing more, but Clemson has a lot of receivers to split up targets, so that could reduce the stat line he records in 2019. 

LSU_logo.gif Justin Jefferson*, WR, LSU  
Height: 6-3. Weight: 192.  
Projected 40 Time: 4.50. 
Projected Round (2020): 1-2. 

1/4/20: Jefferson has been superb in 2019, recording 102 catches for 1,434 yards and 18 touchdowns. In 2018, he had 54 receptions for 875 yards and six scores. Jefferson has length to go with some quickness and athleticism. He has a ton of upside with the speed to make plays downfield and mismatch length to make receptions over defensive backs. He has been a steady big-play producer for Joe Burrow and LSU this season. 

Though I rarely pay attention to college, for once I happen to have seen both of them play this past season.  I'd take either one.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

We will not pick at #22.

We are not taking an Edge in RD1, the class isn't good enough and the top 2 will be gone before our pick. The LTs will be gone before 22 and are a couple good RTs that can be had probably in the 30-40 range. I really don't see us spending pick 22 on a CB either and I certainly do not see us trading back, we need blue chip talent - we have enough role players.

I could see a modest move into the mid to late teens if there is a run on the WRs (we would need to leap frog Philly and Oakland at 19). I would be shocked for a move up like Edmunds if Jeudy or Lamb fall past 8 or 9.

After watching today's presser, Beane believes in building through the draft and paying our Core players which a true #1 WR would be; he won't give up next years #1, but he may give up this years 2 or 3 and our extra 5th and 6th rounders to acquire the WR he wants.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Way to early but Curtis Weaver be the guy I'd say at this moment. 

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

We are not taking an Edge in RD1, the class isn't good enough and the top 2 will be gone before our pick. The LTs will be gone before 22 and are a couple good RTs that can be had probably in the 30-40 range. I really don't see us spending pick 22 on a CB either and I certainly do not see us trading back, we need blue chip talent - we have enough role players.

I could see a modest move into the mid to late teens if there is a run on the WRs (we would need to leap frog Philly and Oakland at 19). I would be shocked for a move up like Edmunds if Jeudy or Lamb fall past 8 or 9.

After watching today's presser, Beane believes in building through the draft and paying our Core players which a true #1 WR would be; he won't give up next years #1, but he may give up this years 2 or 3 and our extra 5th and 6th rounders to acquire the WR he wants.

Hopefully it's not Sammy Watkins Redux 2. 

12 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I put the odds of us keeping all our draft picks at .0001%

We have depth in a lot of areas, and plenty of young talent.  We lack a cornerstone pass rusher and wide receiver - Could also use an upgrade at RT depending on Ford.

While I hate losing draft picks due to how well it seems this staff scouts/develops, this would be a year to flip picks for players and/or move up.

• Like (+1) 1

The overwhelmingly popular assumption will be a big, physical, "go get the ball" WR, like the one the OP mentions. 

A stud OT would be another idea.  

Having said that, I would not put it beyond this coaching staff to select a defensive player with our first pick.

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

This is my guess as well. Beane has a tendency to move up. If a prospect he is in love with begins to slip, he will make a move.

Right now, my guess is he finds a way to get one of these three...Yetur Gross-Matos, CeeDee Lamb, or Tee Higgins. 

My money is on AJ Epenesa if he slips past 15. Hard to tell where edge players go pre-combine unless they’re freaks. However, good Iowa lineman tend to have a high floor and help immediately.  

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The overwhelmingly popular assumption will be a big, physical, "go get the ball" WR, like the one the OP mentions. 

A stud OT would be another idea.  

Having said that, I would not put it beyond this coaching staff to select a defensive player with our first pick.

Would prob piss a ton of people off if we don't get a stud WR in FA. 

OLB Simmons from Clemson

I'm in 100% agreement WR is a high priority.  However, I'll speculate the FO would want a blue chip prospect at this position.  Simmons is a football player first, elite athlete second, which has been the front office's MO in their drafts to date.    

OLB is evolving more into a heavy safety type of position to run down guys motoring around the edge like Watson/Mahomes and cover other guys like Kelce/Ertz. 

i like the top three or four WRs, i like the bama RB, not sure what value vs player or whatever fits tho.

one thing that i could see us doing in the 1st or second round is drafting a SLB to replace zo.  he was a solid guy for us, but a young athletic TACKLER might make a difference in some of those plays that broke our back vs NE and HOU this season.

WR I think we need to break the bank in free agency, possibly pass rusher too, and if i'm completing my list since we have so much money we could grab a RT as well.  WR1 is to priority tho, i say we go FA and draft a guy.

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

What makes you believe McD has final say? I have never heard that from Beane or McD. 

When McD talked about there being "one voice" at OBD when he was hired, that wasn't just for PR reasons.

He is a control-freak, and I say that in a positive way.  He's also the one building the culture and the front office is supporting that effort in personnel evaluation, among other things.  The players are guys that he can work with. 

I'm not saying other people don't get to communicate, only that he's leading this thing.