Call your shot (2020 NFL Draft)

Who do you think we will draft in round 1?

I'm calling my shot now and saying Laviska Shenault WR from Colorado

• Laviska Shenault, 6-2/220

• Wide Receiver

• Colorado

Laviska Shenault Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

• Rare toughness
  • Strong build
  • Is a fighter
  • Doesn't hesitate to get physical
  • Dangerous run-after-the-catch skills
  • Elusive open-field runner
  • Has a second gear as a runner
  • Picks up yards after contact
  • Quality route runner
  • Willing to go across the middle
  • Good hands
  • Quality height
  • Can generate separation
  • Tracks the ball well
  • Good technique
  • Adept at finding soft spots in zone
  • Plays hurt
  • Makes big plays in the clutch
  • Versatile receiver
  • Could be cross-trained as a X - split end -, Y - flanker -, or Z - slot
  • Phenomenal fit for a west coast offense
  • Able to contribute as a short-yardage running back

Weaknesses:

• Durability
  • Gets banged up
  • Good, but not great, speed
  • Good, but not great, size
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Either Tee Higgins from Clemson or Justin Jefferson from LSU.  I would be thrilled with either.

Clemson_logo.gif Tee Higgins*, WR, Clemson 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 200.  
Projected 40 Time: 4.55. 
Projected Round (2020): 1-2. 

1/4/20: Higgins has 56 catches for 1,115 yards with 13 touchdowns in 2019. He is a tall, long receiver who is a red-zone weapon and provides a size mismatch for the NFL. He is dangerous red-zone threat given his length and leaping ability. He is a volleyball player-style receiver who is not a tough wideout to work between the numbers. Assuming his combine time is solid, Higgins runs well enough to get late first-round consideration and should go in the second round if he isn't a first-round pick. 

8/17/19: Higgins is a big receiver who presents a size-mismatch issue for defenses. As a sophomore, he totaled 936 yards on 59 receptions with 12 touchdowns. Higgins is capable of producing more, but Clemson has a lot of receivers to split up targets, so that could reduce the stat line he records in 2019. 

LSU_logo.gif Justin Jefferson*, WR, LSU  
Height: 6-3. Weight: 192.  
Projected 40 Time: 4.50. 
Projected Round (2020): 1-2. 

1/4/20: Jefferson has been superb in 2019, recording 102 catches for 1,434 yards and 18 touchdowns. In 2018, he had 54 receptions for 875 yards and six scores. Jefferson has length to go with some quickness and athleticism. He has a ton of upside with the speed to make plays downfield and mismatch length to make receptions over defensive backs. He has been a steady big-play producer for Joe Burrow and LSU this season. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Personally I have no idea in what direction they will go in Round 1. So tough to say with confidence at any point really, but prior to FA it is really a crapshoot. I like the idea of a quality WR and Higgins or Jefferson would be awesome IMO, but not really sure McBean would go WR at 22. Gonna be a fun time leading up to the draft for sure though.

Edited by Bleedbuffaloblue

11 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

We will not pick at #22.

This is my guess as well. Beane has a tendency to move up. If a prospect he is in love with begins to slip, he will make a move.

Right now, my guess is he finds a way to get one of these three...Yetur Gross-Matos, CeeDee Lamb, or Tee Higgins. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Not sure who it will be but i suspect Beane will be making moves. 

McDermott has final say on personnel decisions. 

This is extremely early given that players have until 1/15 to declare, but I can see McD going DE.  He'll justify it because Murphy is in the final year of his deal (if he's retained), and Hughes turns 32 this year.  Lawson is likely gone, and then there's nothing behind them. 

Would rather see a WR, although there will be options in the 2nd given the depth of this class.  Still, it's time to invest in the offense after what we see on display this past weekend.

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

What about OL?  There may be a top Guard or RT available at 22.

I really don't want OL in this draft tbh. 

Rookie Tackles usually take time to develop and we just went through this with Cody Ford.  Either leave him at RT, with Nsehke at swing, or move Ford inside and sign a veteran RT in FA.

9 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

What about OL?  There may be a top Guard or RT available at 22.

Bold call. It would be hard to hate on that pick. (I am assuming he goes top 15.

lot of people were concerned with the amount of carries singletary had in college and taylor has like over 900.  maybe we go with chuba hubbard instead.  i'd like to see this team have several ways to beat you.  rb's catch the ball also so they are passing weapons

My guess is we go Edge or CB in the first round.

Not remotely close to the first round, but if they come out, I have a gut feeling that we end up with one of these DBs:

• Levonta Taylor - former top CB prospect that's converted to more of a Micah Hyde-type role with elite athleticism
  • Amik Robertson - undersized guy that plays at LA Tech, but he just plays his ass off and I could see McBeane liking him

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

lot of people were concerned with the amount of carries singletary had in college and taylor has like over 900.  maybe we go with chuba hubbard instead.  i'd like to see this team have several ways to beat you.  rb's catch the ball also so they are passing weapons

I was actually thinking Najee Harris in the 3rd (or 4th?) round would be a great compliment to Singletary. That would be fun to watch!

Alabama_logo.gif Najee Harris*, RB, Alabama  
Height: 6-2. Weight: 230.  
Projected 40 Time: 4.53. 
Projected Round (2020): 2-4. 

1/4/20: In 2019, Harris averaged 5.9 yards per carry for 1,224 yards with 13 touchdowns. He had 27 receptions for 304 yards and seen scores as a receiver. Harris flashed at times, but some scouts don't feel Harris is the same caliber as other recent Alabama running backs like Josh Jacobs, Damien Harris or Derrick Henry.  

For the NFL, Harris is a big back who has some quickness and athleticism. Over the past few seasons, he did not run to his size and looked to bounce too many carries to the outside rather than use his power to run behind his pads in a physical manner. Late in 2019, especially against LSU and Mississippi State, Harris aggressively ran downhill with decisiveness. His tape from the back half of the 2019 season will help his draft grade and definitely makes him look like a better pro prospect compared to how he performed at the beginning of the season. 

8/17/19: Harris was a star recruit coming out of high school, and he has flashed a skill set with size, power and speed. As a freshman in 2017, he averaged 6.1 yards per carry for 370 yards with three touchdowns. Alabama didn't give him a lot of carries because of more experienced players ahead of him like Damien Harris and Bo Scarbrough. He was expected to take on a bigger role as a sophomore, but Harris and Josh Jacobs beat out Harris for bigger roles. In 2018, Harris had only 117 carries, but averaged 6.7 yards per carry for 783 yards with four touchdowns. By the time of the 2020 NFL Draft, Harris could rise if he becomes the feature back at Alabama. Some sources don't think as highly of Harris as the hype suggests. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

Tee Higgins

As someone who spends a ton of time in Greenville, SC.... YES

Tee Higgins is everything we need on the outside.  There's some other guys we could go with as well, but for as good as Trevor Lawrence is.... Higgins and Ross are a big reason why he looks as good as he does.

• Like (+1) 1