I think McDermott's conservatism caught up to him in this game.

njbuff

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Just before halftime, your complaint should be Duke dropping a td right in his hands. If knox or morse make 1 block on the qb sweep in ot, josh either scores or we're in position for a game winning fg. Overall, the play calling was fine. Execution on the other hand...

That's on the players.

But it’s easier to blame the coaches than admit the popular players we love might have screwed up.

I think they are just conservative and aggressive at the wrong times. Going empty sets with heavy personnel in OT made no sense. Overtime should turn back into a regular game, get first downs and run Singletary and use play action. I'm not sure why they opened it up at that point, but that was the wrong time to do that in my opinion. McDermott is a Andy Reid guy, who has a history of these issues. To add, teh defense got pretty conservative in the third quarter. They weren't aggressive again until overtime, and then you had the missed tackles. It is one thing to get conservative on offense and it is another thing to play Dick Jauron defense with a lead. I think they need to just stick with their game plan throughout and it felt like they got away from the game plan while sitting on a lead. 

Been saying all year that McDermott's style of coaching is just fine for the regular season because you win a good number of games. 

I think McDermott can consistently get his teams to the playoffs.

But his style of coaching sucks Sucks SUcks SUCKS when you get to a one n done playoff situation!

He coaches not to lose rather than coaching to win. That irritates the heck outta me. I hope this offseason he becomes a little more aggressive and reprioritizes especially after examining the Houston debacle.

Great questions and I'd like to know the answers to them.

Supposedly "The Process" will solve these conservative tendencies as they clearly contributed to the loss, unless he completely blames player execution which some of that is to blame.  McD, his staff, and their philosophy weren't good enough to win.  We'll find out next season if McD can change his stripes, though I have my doubts; at this point my thought is the best McD will be is an AFCC coach.