The REAL reason Duke Didnt Catch The TD Pass

StHustle

24 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

The two no chance in happening passes at the end of the game before they kicked the FG to tie went as attempts to Duke.  Sometimes you have to actually look at the game vs just look at the stat sheet and so oh wow look at all those targets.  But that is what happens when you just look at box scores

What does that have to do with a single word that I wrote?

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Once you are out of bounds you cant catch a ball, it would be ruled a dead ball,  an incomplete pass.

but to catch it after the D has tipped it....  if it ever happens... plausible...

Just now, row_33 said:

but to catch it after the D has tipped it....  if it ever happens... plausible...

from what i just read, double checking , once you are OB you cant catch anything.

Simply put: any receiver who has by any means gone out of bounds may not catch, or be the first to touch, any pass. Re-establishing himself in bounds makes the pass complete, but his touching of the pass remains illegal. The change is underlined — in previous years, the penalty was a loss of five yards, while the down would be replayed. In 2016, there is no yardage penalty attached, but the team cannot replay the down.

The rule will be enforced as follows:

• Receiver is out of bounds: dead ball, incomplete pass
  • Receiver is in the field of play, but did not re-establish in bounds: dead ball, incomplete
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

from what i just read, double checking , once you are OB you cant catch anything.

Simply put: any receiver who has by any means gone out of bounds may not catch, or be the first to touch, any pass. Re-establishing himself in bounds makes the pass complete, but his touching of the pass remains illegal. The change is underlined — in previous years, the penalty was a loss of five yards, while the down would be replayed. In 2016, there is no yardage penalty attached, but the team cannot replay the down.

The rule will be enforced as follows:

• Receiver is out of bounds: dead ball, incomplete pass
  • Receiver is in the field of play, but did not re-establish in bounds: dead ball, incomplete

NCAA allows you to return if forced out out bounds before the throw?

47 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

The two no chance in happening passes at the end of the game before they kicked the FG to tie went as attempts to Duke.  Sometimes you have to actually look at the game vs just look at the stat sheet and so oh wow look at all those targets.  But that is what happens when you just look at box scores

I was in response to the dance with who brung you. People are looking at the ten targets thing and saying how Duke got more targets.  There is even more underlying reasons why Beasley targets were down as well as McKenzie was seeing way more field at the end in place of Beasley.  

I'm not saying I disagree with go with who got you there but just pointing out some of the numbers for Duke are a higher due to the two passes at the end of the game that didn't even have a prayer of being completed seemed like just heaves for no reason.

I was frustrated at the end of the game and thru the whole game wondering where the Beasley targets and Knox in the seem were all game.  Just trying to point some light on the number of targets

is Josh effectively looking at more than his primary target routinely during the action?

no aspersions on prior QBs who wouldn't look at another option and required the primary target to be open and doing jumping jacks for 2 seconds before deciding to throw....

54 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

I was VERY surprised that the game was not stopped and Josh examined for a possible concussion after that play. I was also surprised that a flag wasn't thrown for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cunningham. Regardless, as you said, if Knox and Morse do their job, that hit never happens.

That’s part of it.  But one they whiffed, did Josh have alternatives?

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think you are correct and it seems much more logical to me.

i watch both equally and sometimes it gets confusing

this year i learned in NCAA that breaking the plane of the EZ is enough for both rushing and receiving TDs, no contact with the ground is required

(a college kid leaping and catching the ball breaking the plane was then pushed and landed on the two, maybe he fumbled it as well...) anyways it was a TD for college purposes

had never seen that before

in the NFL for a definitive TD reception, you have to make a football move, 4 steps, carry the ball back to the bench and it's only a TD when you place it securely in your trophy case at home

It was 100% a drop.

D’haquille blew it. He wasn’t out there for his speed and YAC ability. He was there to make plays on jump balls like that. And he failed.

Most don’t get a single opportunity. D’haquille is not guaranteed a second. He’ll have to battle hard in training camp to prove he deserves a roster spot. It will be an uphill climb for him.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/8/2020 at 11:24 AM, motorj said:

If only duke was activated the whole season, he makes that catch every time

jeeze all the more reason to make it that time 

55 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i watch both equally and sometimes it gets confusing

this year i learned in NCAA that breaking the plane of the EZ is enough for both rushing and receiving TDs, no contact with the ground is required

(a college kid leaping and catching the ball breaking the plane was then pushed and landed on the two, maybe he fumbled it as well...) anyways it was a TD for college purposes

had never seen that before

in the NFL for a definitive TD reception, you have to make a football move, 4 steps, carry the ball back to the bench and it's only a TD when you place it securely in your trophy case at home

provided the Wood used to construct the trophy case meets the nfl specification

He just simply passes the eye test, has good hands, sizable reach, and it boggles the mind why he wasn't used more. Someone here said he doesn't fit the scheme. What scheme is that? Receivers under 6 feet? His size, and presence, was noticeable in that game after watching Brown and Beasley all year. 

3 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Not sure if you are counting the pass to Duke with 1 minute left in regulation. If you are, that was definitely a drop. Perfect back shoulder pass that should have been caught. Please don't bring up that it was contested. The ball is laterally in his hands. If your forte is catching contested passes, that catch has to be made. Calling it a no chance in happening pass is making excuses for Duke. Any other wr in our roster dropping that one would have had the wrath of Duke fans. But he now gets excuses. 

this is just a random observation about the still shot. I have never in my life of watch football, seen a db defend face down, arms backwards, and get the ball in to try and knock the ball out. i've just never seen it. Had he ben falling on his back, yes. never seen stomach forward and arms back

24 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Not sure if you are counting the pass to Duke with 1 minute left in regulation. If you are, that was definitely a drop. Perfect back shoulder pass that should have been caught. Please don't bring up that it was contested. The ball is laterally in his hands. If your forte is catching contested passes, that catch has to be made. Calling it a no chance in happening pass is making excuses for Duke. Any other wr in our roster dropping that one would have had the wrath of Duke fans. But he now gets excuses. 

First sentence says at the end of the game shou added end of regulation as there was two throws to the end zone that had no chance but the target goess to Williams 

nowhere did it reference the end of the “half” td attempt

On 1/6/2020 at 10:36 PM, StHustle said:

His left arm was hooked which forced an alligator arm attempt. There is NO QUESTION that he makes the catch if that didnt happen. In slow mo you can see he almost still made the grab. Great defense by the DB. Can we PLEASE put to bed the idea this was a drop???

DukeW.thumb.jpg.2dd8e9b7096cfcdd82a24fbebeb059bf.jpg

On another note...why are you Duke haters so quick to label this guy as either a #5 or even not good enough to be in the league WHEN HE WAS A ROOKIE with very few games under his belt??

Why do top draft picks get the benefit of the doubt based on lack of experience when they are the ones supposed to be so much better than the undrafted guys? Seems undrafted guys are expected to kill it out the gate or they shouldnt be on the team. Duke has 5 NFL games under his belt. Lets compare his first 5 games to DK Metcalf who has a future HOF throwing to him and was the #2 guy on the roster:

DK - 

26 Targets
12 Receptions
2 TD
267 Yards

DuKe-

29 Targets
16 Receptions
1 TD
215 Yards

If Duke had Russell Wilson as his QB, who doubts Duke doesnt have just as good or better numbers than DK?? Let's be real here.

I like Duke and what he could add to the offense but this was a drop.  Maybe others have said so but I haven't read the entire thread yet.  The elbow hook did not occur until after the ball was not secured on the first catch attempt. The hook prevented Duke from making a second attempt to secure it.  So, bobble =  no catch = drop, in my opinion.  The other one on the sideline that some want to call a drop to me was a clear pbu.  High ball above his head and in his hands ripped out by db's hand.