The REAL reason Duke Didnt Catch The TD Pass

StHustle

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dorial green Beckham was kicked out of school and was still a second round pick... 

I get your point that at 1 point pundits projected him as a first rounder but so was Matt Barkley at one point BY pundits

He may not be 4.7 slow but he isn't getting any younger and he certainly doenst run a 4.4... regardless he wasn't a early pick

Every players situation is different...Duke not only got kicked off the team, but he self admits he was immature and also considered quitting football all together after getting kicked off the team.  He had to find his love for the game again and by the time he did there wasn't much time before the combine and was out of shape.

Players kicked off teams who have maturity issues and show up to the combine out of shape don't normally get drafted.  And it wasn't at one point, it was based on how he was playing during the actual season.  Barkley fell out of the first round BECAUSE of his play during the season.  Duke was being projected for first round, and top WR in draft BECAUSE of his play during that season until his poor choices during the season derailed his future for a while.  

There is a big difference there.  It isn't like he was "projected" to be a first rounder BEFORE the season started then fell off because he didn't live up to expectations.  Barkely was projected to be a first rounder going into that last season then played his way out of his draft slot.  

39 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He doesn't have near the speed of DK.  Ran a 4.73 40 which is elite LT speed not #1 WR speed.  He didn't have more than a half a yard of separation most of the game.  They would be foolish not to bring him back but he is not the answer for WR #1.  

For now Duke's my #3. And while we're talking about receivers and 40 times I seem to recall Patrick (4.92) Dimarco running 3 jump ball deep routes this season. Both stupid & hilarious at the same time. Draft Shenault and sign Amari Cooper,  then you Duke haters all have my approval to slide Duke to WR5.

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You are missing the point...DURING the season he was a certain first round pick, and potentially even the first WR taken.  Getting kicked off his team and then getting out of shape before the combine all in the same season is why he wasn't drafted.  

While I like Duke there is NOTHING to prove first round pick.  All pre-draft is mock and mock drafts should be mocked.

59 minutes ago, StHustle said:

His left arm was hooked which forced an alligator arm attempt. There is NO QUESTION that he makes the catch if that didnt happen. In slow mo you can see he almost still made the grab. Great defense by the DB.

DukeW.thumb.jpg.2dd8e9b7096cfcdd82a24fbebeb059bf.jpg

On another note...why are you Duke haters so quick to label this guy as either a #5 or even not good enough to be in the league WHEN HE WAS A ROOKIE with very few games under his belt??

Why do top draft picks get the benefit of the doubt based on lack of experience when they are the ones supposed to be so much better than the undrafted guys? Seems undrafted guys are expected to kill it out the gate or they shouldnt be on the team. Duke has 5 NFL games under his belt. Lets compare his first 5 games to DK Metcalf who has a future HOF throwing to him and was the #2 guy on the roster:

DK - 

26 Targets
12 Receptions
2 TD
267 Yards

DuKe-

29 Targets
16 Receptions
1 TD
215 Yards

If Duke had Russell Wilson as his QB, who doubts Duke doesnt have just as good or better numbers than DK?? Let's be real here.

I don't know where you got the picture, but that picture is AFTER Duke let's the ball go through his hands. He tried to catch his bobble and that gave the db a chance to make that play. That ball was placed perfectly. He should have caught that ball. Plus the Duke crowd swore this was the exact play he makes. He didn't and he never had more than a 1/2 step on his defender all night. He was open on one slant and for some reason the db was about 8 yds off the los. 1 minute left in regulation from our 47yd line and Josh hits Duke at the texans 33 yd line, in the hands. Perfect back shoulder throw. Hits him in the hands and yep, he lets it hit the ground. Again, the type of pass some of you swear he makes all the time. Shoulda had it. We would be 1st and 10 at their 33 driving for a td. Instead we're at our 47 yd line trying to get in fg range. 

"But he's open even when he's not", they say. Cuz he's never open. 

You just kinda said if the defender hadn't played defense, Duke would have caught it. Forget that Duke catches all the contested passes. Except for when he doesn't.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

His left arm was hooked which forced an alligator arm attempt. There is NO QUESTION that he makes the catch if that didnt happen. In slow mo you can see he almost still made the grab. Great defense by the DB. Can we PLEASE put to bed the idea this was a drop???

On another note...why are you Duke haters so quick to label this guy as either a #5 or even not good enough to be in the league WHEN HE WAS A ROOKIE with very few games under his belt??

Why do top draft picks get the benefit of the doubt based on lack of experience when they are the ones supposed to be so much better than the undrafted guys? Seems undrafted guys are expected to kill it out the gate or they shouldnt be on the team. Duke has 5 NFL games under his belt. Lets compare his first 5 games to DK Metcalf who has a future HOF throwing to him and was the #2 guy on the roster:

DK - 

26 Targets
12 Receptions
2 TD
267 Yards

DuKe-

29 Targets
16 Receptions
1 TD
215 Yards

If Duke had Russell Wilson as his QB, who doubts Duke doesnt have just as good or better numbers than DK?? Let's be real here.

Duke's arm was hooked after the ball hit his hands the first time. It was not hooked when the ball arrived.

Agreed he's young, and that it was a tough catch.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Every players situation is different...Duke not only got kicked off the team, but he self admits he was immature and also considered quitting football all together after getting kicked off the team.  He had to find his love for the game again and by the time he did there wasn't much time before the combine and was out of shape.

Players kicked off teams who have maturity issues and show up to the combine out of shape don't normally get drafted.  And it wasn't at one point, it was based on how he was playing during the actual season.  Barkley fell out of the first round BECAUSE of his play during the season.  Duke was being projected for first round, and top WR in draft BECAUSE of his play during that season until his poor choices during the season derailed his future for a while.  

There is a big difference there.  It isn't like he was "projected" to be a first rounder BEFORE the season started then fell off because he didn't live up to expectations.  Barkely was projected to be a first rounder going into that last season then played his way out of his draft slot.  

Disagree about how well he performed that last year when you say he was projected "projected for first round, and top WR in draft BECAUSE of his play during that season". In his last year at Auburn, he played in five games before being thrown off the team. 147 yards and 1 TD in those five games.. His junior year 730 yards and 5 TDs. That's good, but not stunning.

His pre-draft 40 time was somewhere around 4.7 ( http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=131529&DraftYear=2016 )

He wasn't going to be the first WR drafted. Probably wouldn't have even been a first rounder, unless he had a terrific remainder of the season.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Duke's arm was hooked after the ball hit his hands the first time. It was not hooked when the ball arrived.

Agreed he's young, and that it was a tough catch.

Disagree about how well he performed that last year when you say he was projected "projected for first round, and top WR in draft BECAUSE of his play during that season". In his last year at Auburn, he played in five games before being thrown off the team. 147 yards and 1 TD in those five games.. His junior year 730 yards and 5 TDs. That's good, but not stunning.

He is pre-draft 40 time was somewhere around 4.7 ( http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=131529&DraftYear=2016 )

He wasn't going to be the first WR drafted. Probably wouldn't have even been a first rounder, unless he had a terrific remainder of the season.

Ok well that makes more sense then.  I misunderstood from other Duke threads, I thought that 730 yards came out of his last season when someone had posted his college stats up.  Thanks for the clarity on that

Still, he was out of shape at the combine after getting kicked off the team, that part is still accurate.  He did enter the season as the talked about top WR in the draft though.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

His left arm was hooked which forced an alligator arm attempt. There is NO QUESTION that he makes the catch if that didnt happen. In slow mo you can see he almost still made the grab. Great defense by the DB. Can we PLEASE put to bed the idea this was a drop???

DK - 

26 Targets
12 Receptions
2 TD
267 Yards

DuKe-

29 Targets
16 Receptions
1 TD
215 Yards

That is his second attempt to catch the ball, why didn't you show the first? Anyways here's the picture of the first attempt at the pass. Notice both arms seem to be free at that point.

1548807049_ScreenShot2020-01-05at4_48_26PM.png.dd7b3e9a8de0cb9c0b0abf98b360d64d.png.8dac0e96590619d3d1b4ef516fc06aa2.png

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He doesn't have near the speed of DK.  Ran a 4.73 40 which is elite LT speed not #1 WR speed.  He didn't have more than a half a yard of separation most of the game.  They would be foolish not to bring him back but he is not the answer for WR #1.  

This is where I am at as well......I absolutely think Duke has a place on this team....and I absolutely think we need to find a number 1 receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is where I am at as well......I absolutely think Duke has a place on this team....and I absolutely think we need to find a number 1 receiver.

John Brown is a #1.

If we find someone better than him, great, but not especially likely.

What we need is a major upgrade on the folks below Brown and Beasley.

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

DK is a grown ass man who would’ve caught the ball.   

No free passes.   

Hit the weight room Duke, and he still dropped it.   

Your pic is after the bobble no ? 

Mmmmmmm... DK had 7 drops on 100 targets this year.

Let's not pretend he's superhuman hands guy all the sudden.

Duke had 2 on 19 targets and that one right there was a massively contested catch he likely would've caught if not for the DPI.

That said, I do wish we drafted Metcalf instead of Ford last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

John Brown is a #1.

If we find someone better than him, great, but not especially likely.

What we need is a major upgrade on the folks below Brown and Beasley.

The problem with this is as soon as corners start holding Brown with no call....that number 1 aura goes away very quickly.

We need big phsyical recievers that can fight through holds to go along with smoke

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Duke had 2 on 19 targets and that one right there was a massively contested catch he likely would've caught if not for the DPI.

You realize that's a 30% higher drop rate for Duke, right?

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Watch the game again, I just did as it was on the NFL Network. Duke's hands were free on the first attempt at the ball and he most certainly should've caught it. The replay in slow motion clearly showed that ball was right there for him to catch, the announcers even commented on it. Booger said something to the effect that Duke has got to get two hands on that. The arm isn't grabbed until the second attempt at the ball. Not the greatest picture, but you can see both his hands and arms were free to catch the ball. I recommend you rewatch the game again and see the replay of it, it's clear as day, it was a perfect pass.

1548807049_ScreenShot2020-01-05at4_48_26PM.png.dd7b3e9a8de0cb9c0b0abf98b360d64d.png.a78b918ab70f813c1e99093439fda7ff.png

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

more like 3%

No dawg. Though it's a small sample size, Duke's averaging 10.5 drops per 100. 

10.5 - 7 = 3.5

So I was wrong. That 50% more drops. 

3.5 / 7 = .5

8 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

more like 3%

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

You realize that's a 30% higher drop rate for Duke, right?

Fancy way of making something look much worse than it is.

Poster said DK would clearly come down with that, but Metcalf isn't exactly glue-hands.

7% vs 10.5%?

Wait wait...better yet... 7 drops for a guy who was CONSTANTLY in the game seeing game action and getting comfortable with his QB vs 2 drops who was active for only 5 total games (4 with Allen) and was still developing chemistry with his QB???? 

I'm tired of the Duke Williams discussion already. Honestly, the guy shouldve gotten a ton more playing time this year, but he didn't. Would it have changed outcomes of games? Maybe. I don't think we were ever Championship bound, but it might have gotten that single playoff win off our back.

Yes, I said that. Just him. He very easily could've been that difference.

Regardless, I think he's a fringe roster player next year because I believe (maybe I should say desperately hope...?) that Beane & Co saw that Allen pretty desperately needs a big bodied WR to throw to and so upgrades are coming in the offseason.

Duke Williams will just remain one of those "what-ifs" for the 2019 season even if he's not much of a cog in the machine moving forward.

• Like (+1) 3