Is Josh really getting the coaching he needs?

Stallions

Is there any doubt in your mind that Josh needs more practical, game relevant PRACTICE??  There should be no melt-down events in any game if he’s totally prepared to play the position.  I’ve seen that type of play from Rob, J.P. and EJ.  It’s a red flag for even the rawest rookie.

Where is Allen’s QB coach Ken Dorsey?  He supposedly helped Cam Newton with the Panthers. 

Josh has been working for 2 years in CA with Jordan Palmer’s private Company “QB Summit”.  They stress footwork and include ‘yoga on the beach’!!  Jordan Palmer completed 11 passes in the NFL career and is really a spiritual guru rather than a coach/trainer.   Josh has said he’s going back for a 3rd year.

Per Jordan’s web-site:

The quarterback rooms I’ve been in have been filled with names such as Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne, Carson Palmer, EJ Manuel, Josh Mccown, Jimmy Clausen and many others. I’ve lifted with linemen, ran with wideouts and studied with coaches. The experiences I’ve gained over my career have shaped me into the coach I am today.  The emotional side of the game is the common thread that is woven into every aspect of the QB position. We help QBs to self-generate confidence, handle success and adversity, and challenge themselves to use their platform for good.

Personally, I think it’s all BS! 

Edited by Stallions

3 minutes ago, Stallions said:

Is there any doubt in your mind that Josh needs more practical, game relevant PRACTICE??  There should be no melt-down events in any game if he’s totally prepared to play the position.  I’ve seen that type of play from Rob, J.P. and EJ.  It’s a red flag for even the rawest rookie.

Where is Allen’s QB coach Ken Dorsey?  He supposedly helped Cam Newton with the Panthers. 

Josh has been working for 2 years in CA with Jordan Palmer’s private Company “QB Summit”.  They stress footwork and include ‘yoga on the beach’!!  Jordan Palmer completed 11 passes in the NFL career and is really a spiritual guru rather than a coach/trainer.   Josh has said he’s going back for a 3rd year.

Per Jordan’s web-site:

The quarterback rooms I’ve been in have been filled with names such as Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, Blaine Gabbert, Chad Henne, Carson Palmer, EJ Manuel, Josh Mccown, Jimmy Clausen and many others. I’ve lifted with linemen, ran with wideouts and studied with coaches. The experiences I’ve gained over my career have shaped me into the coach I am today.  The emotional side of the game is the common thread that is woven into every aspect of the QB position. We help QBs to self-generate confidence, handle success and adversity, and challenge themselves to use their platform for good.

Unfortunately Bills fans have become so fixated on the robotic, hyper-efficient Tom Brady and his years of making very few mistakes that we sometimes don't realize that a lot of tremendous QB's make bad decisions when they are trying to carry a team on their back.     

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The coaching staff failed Josh Allen in that 2nd half. The Bills were up 16-0 and Josh  still threw it 46 times. He’s not that type of QB and he never will be IMO. His usage rate is way too high.

Josh attempts should be no higher than 25-30. Get that run game going with Singletary and make him the focal point of the offense. That will open up the play action and can we please put some screens in the playbook!!  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Stallions said:

Per Jordan’s web-site:

So the 2nd year QB who is tied with Russel Wilson for most 4th quarter comeback wins (despite playing or finishing 7 less games than Wilson over that span) and now a guy who "melts down"?  LMAO.  The same QB who was the third highest rated QB in the 4th quarter in the entire NFL this year?  The same guy who after the first NE game went on to have a 21-3 TD:Turnover ratio to finish the season?  The same guy who despite being royally screwed by the refs late in the playoff game had us in position to win the game still?  

Geezus, where do you people come up with this stuff?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

24 minutes ago, Stallions said:

Per Jordan’s web-site:

Allen works with Palmer in the offseason when, per NFL rules, regular coaches don’t have contact with players. Not sure what else he’s supposed to do.

Josh will be fine. He had a few wild moments, but didn’t “ melt down” and didn’t cost the team the game. The 2nd half strategy was bizarre , and he made some mistakes. Heck, Darnold played at USC and “ saw ghosts”. No one’s ragging on him anymore for that, and they give him a huge pass because he had mono. JA is still a bit raw, and the coaches hung him out to dry with that lead. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Someone needs to sit down and go over game situations and clock management with Josh. That’s not a joke and it needs to happen. He needs to know when you can’t huddle, when you can’t afford to check to a run, when you can’t take a sack, when you throw the ball away and when you can’t rush a fumble with silly runs.

29 minutes ago, Stallions said:

Per Jordan’s web-site:

That isn't exactly a murderer's row of qbs. Obviously between Dorsey and Palmer,  Josh hasn't learned much about ball security,  deep throw trajectory or cover 0. I'd feel better if he'd work with Peyton or even Jim. Besides I think he goes to  SoCal to party with Darnold in Newport.

19 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

The coaching staff failed Josh Allen in that 2nd half. The Bills were up 16-0 and Josh  still threw it 46 times. He’s not that type of QB and he never will be IMO. His usage rate is way too high.

Josh attempts should be no higher than 25-30. Get that run game going with Singletary and make him the focal point of the offense. That will open up the play action and can we please put some screens in the playbook!!  

He never will be?

I don't know what people base their opinions on anymore. People just speak without thinking. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So the 2nd year QB who is tied with Russel Wilson for most 4th quarter comeback wins (despite playing or finishing 7 less games than Wilson over that span) and now a guy who "melts down"?  LMAO.  The same QB who was the third highest rated QB in the 4th quarter in the entire NFL this year?  The same guy who after the first NE game went on to have a 21-3 TD:Turnover ratio to finish the season?  The same guy who despite being royally screwed by the refs late in the playoff game had us in position to win the game still?  

Geezus, where do you people come up with this stuff?

I watch games and see reactions! 

Josh Allen is beginning to remind me of Flutie if Flutie had a bazooka for an arm and grew 7 inches.  

But that's how Josh plays.  Unconventional.  And that is ok.  

Allen's personality is the anti Flutie.  But I think their style is similar.  And Josh can make more throws that Flutie couldn't. 

Thought a lot about this comp yesterday.  

I think ultimately Daboll is doing right by his development.  How can this be argued.  The toughest job they seem to have is balancing the gunslinger, and when to gunsling vs when to be smart.  

That, and finding WRs over 5'10. 

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Someone needs to sit down and go over game situations and clock management with Josh. That’s not a joke and it needs to happen. He needs to know when you can’t huddle, when you can’t afford to check to a run, when you can’t take a sack, when you throw the ball away and when you can’t rush a fumble with silly runs.

That's what my post was about.  I don't think a lame 'guru' can help.

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Josh Allen is beginning to remind me of Flutie if Flutie had a bazooka for an arm and grew 7 inches.  

But that's how Josh plays.  Unconventional.  And that is ok.  

Allen's personality is the anti Flutie.  But I think their style is similar.  And Josh can make more throws that Flutie couldn't. 

Thought a lot about this comp yesterday.  

I think ultimately Daboll is doing right by his development.  How can this be argued.  The toughest job they seem to have is balancing the gunslinger, and when to gunsling vs when to be smart.  

That, and finding WRs over 5'10. 

when to be smart.   I don't know if 'smart' can be taught?

14 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Allen works with Palmer in the offseason when, per NFL rules, regular coaches don’t have contact with players. Not sure what else he’s supposed to do.

Is Palmer the ONLY person in the world he can work with?  Come on - -

47 minutes ago, Stallions said:

Per Jordan’s web-site:

Some of the best coaches weren’t great players. That’s typically how it goes... they have to study and understand certain intricacies to get by in their career and it allows them to be better coaches than players. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Commentary was positive that Allen had improved both footwork and accuracy between his Sr college season and the combine/OTAs and he improved his passer rating to most areas of the field this year.

So I would say what he's doing is working. 

Could something else/someone else work better?  Dunno.  Would love to know who Lamar Jackson worked with this off-season.

Yoga and Pilates are not bad things for football players.  They are arguably good things.  Allen's girlfriend is a Pilates instructor.  I hope Allen brought a notebook and went to Zo and said "tell me everything you do to keep playing the way you do with as much physicality 'cuz I'm gonna need it".

14 minutes ago, Stallions said:

That's what my post was about.  I don't think a lame 'guru' can help.

when to be smart.   I don't know if 'smart' can be taught?

Is Palmer the ONLY person in the world he can work with?  Come on - -

So who do you think he should work with, oh Wise One?

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Some of the best coaches weren’t great players. That’s typically how it goes... they have to study and understand certain intricacies to get by in their career and it allows them to be better coaches than players. 

Right On.  People are always "oh, this kid should work with (Kelly, Favre, name a great QB).

The thing is, those great players normally don't know how they do what they do.  They can't break it down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right On.  People are always "oh, this kid should work with (Kelly, Favre, name a great QB).

The thing is, those great players normally don't know how they do what they do.  They can't break it down.

LOL. Yeah. For some reason, I always envision Elway sitting in his suite wondering why Case Keenum didn't just rifle 50 yard frozen ropes on 3rd and long. "Dude, that guy had half a step 40 yards from the LOS. Just fling it!"

• Haha (+1) 2

There’s only a handful of teams in this league that have enjoyed stability at QB for a long period of time the Bills problem is for years they’ve been stuck in a division with Brady and it really has warped the way the fans view the position...if the Bills where in the NFC east instead of the AFC they would have won the division title this year 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This is true.

Someone also needs to sit down with Daboll and figure out why there is no safety valves built into play design with regards to pass rush.  No screens. No hot receivers. No running back blocking or releasing to the flats. No slants. Not enough play action. QB draws but few RB draws.

Did they not watch the film from the Baltimore and NE games?

Why did they continue to leave him in an empty backfield to get murdered

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

What if they can’t get the run game working?  Then what?